[comp.databases] Proposal for a newsgroup for OLTP

rao@uts.amdahl.com (Madhavan Rangarao) (06/20/91)

Hi netters,

I am a regular reader of this newsgroup.  A gamut of areas have been discussed
so far in this newsgroup viz., pc databases, databases for larger machines,
distributed databases, distributed transaction processing, query languages etc.,

With the increasing number of "Transaction Processing" articles showing up
in this newsgroup and the budding "UNIX OLTP" market, I feel there could be
another newsgroup exclusively for "OLTP (On Line Transaction Processing)".

The potential discussions in this newgroup for example could be

	- distributed transaction processing applications
	- TUXEDO, CICS, TRANSARC etc.,
	- network related issues in OLTP environments
	- large scale database issues related to OLTP
	- UNIX OLTP, open system solutions
	- any other relevant topics to OLTP

I believe many of you in the OLTP world would also feel the need for such a
newsgroup.  I propose a newsgroup which could be named as comp.databases.OLTP
or comp.OLTP.  This could be very informative and an ideal place to discuss
about transaction processing related issues.

I encourage an open discussion on this proposal.  Please express your opinions
on this proposal as a follow up or send an email at   rao@uts.amdahl.com.

Rao ...

Disclaimer :  All of the above is my opinion only and has got nothing to do
              with my employer.

   Madhavan Rangarao                                rao@uts.amdahl.com

Fred@sw.stratus.com (Frederick DeFredster) (06/20/91)

rao@uts.amdahl.com (Madhavan Rangarao) writes:

rao> With the increasing number of "Transaction Processing" articles showing up
rao> in this newsgroup and the budding "UNIX OLTP" market, I feel there could be
rao> another newsgroup exclusively for "OLTP (On Line Transaction Processing)".

I'll second this opinion.  A few months ago I asked for info from
people on their TUXEDO experiences.  I got more me toos than
info.  There is significant interest in the OLTP and distributed
computing topics to warrant a group of its own.

rao> I believe many of you in the OLTP world would also feel the need for such a
rao> newsgroup.  I propose a newsgroup which could be named as comp.databases.OLTP
rao> or comp.OLTP.  This could be very informative and an ideal place to discuss
rao> about transaction processing related issues.

I think comp.oltp is a more appropriate name than
comp.databases.oltp since there are many issues related to OLTP
(UNIX or otherwise) that are not database related.

rao> 	- distributed transaction processing applications
rao> 	- TUXEDO, CICS, TRANSARC etc.,
rao> 	- network related issues in OLTP environments
rao> 	- large scale database issues related to OLTP
rao> 	- UNIX OLTP, open system solutions
rao> 	- any other relevant topics to OLTP
rao>

client/server, RPC, OSF DCE, multi-threaded applications, high
availability application environments...

rao> Rao ...
rao> _______________________________________________________________________________

rao> Disclaimer :  All of the above is my opinion only and has got nothing to do
rao>               with my employer.
rao>
rao>    Madhavan Rangarao                                rao@uts.amdahl.com
rao> _______________________________________________________________________________
rao>

in absolute agreement,
-Tom
--
  Tom DeNapoli              | Stratus Computer, Inc.
  denap@alta.sw.stratus.com | 55 Fairbanks Blvd M23EN3

fkam@sodium.Asia.Sun.COM (Francis Kam - Asia CS) (06/20/91)

In article <213v01FS8e.e00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> rao@uts.amdahl.com (Madhavan Rangarao) writes:
>Hi netters,
>
>in this newsgroup and the budding "UNIX OLTP" market, I feel there could be
>another newsgroup exclusively for "OLTP (On Line Transaction Processing)".
>
>I believe many of you in the OLTP world would also feel the need for such a
>newsgroup.  I propose a newsgroup which could be named as comp.databases.OLTP
>or comp.OLTP.  This could be very informative and an ideal place to discuss
>about transaction processing related issues.

I am interested to see that such a newsgroup is there.
I'm not sure whether or not there's similar discussion somewhere else, but
I feel it's quite badly needed.

--

Francis Kam
SUN Microsystems (Asia)

* Disclaimer:
  the opinion is strictly of my own, and in particular, NOT from my employer.

davem@robin.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dave.Miller) (06/20/91)

In article <213v01FS8e.e00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> rao@uts.amdahl.com (Madhavan Rangarao) writes:
>Hi netters,

  [stuff deleted]
>I believe many of you in the OLTP world would also feel the need for such a
>newsgroup.  I propose a newsgroup which could be named as comp.databases.OLTP
>or comp.OLTP.  This could be very informative and an ideal place to discuss
>about transaction processing related issues.
>
>I encourage an open discussion on this proposal.  Please express your opinions
>on this proposal as a follow up or send an email at   rao@uts.amdahl.com.
>
>Rao ...

I think a newsgroup for OLTP would be great.  There have been sporadic
discussions in comp.databases, but not many long term discussions.  With
UNIX based OLTP taking off right now, more discussions are immanent.

Dave Miller

dhepner@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Dan Hepner) (06/21/91)

From: rao@uts.amdahl.com (Madhavan Rangarao)

>With the increasing number of "Transaction Processing" articles showing up
>in this newsgroup and the budding "UNIX OLTP" market, I feel there could be
>another newsgroup exclusively for "OLTP (On Line Transaction Processing)".

I share your interest in OLTP, and don't oppose such a group.  But the
normal criterion for such action, a large amount of traffic which
is of specialized interest,  as I see it, hasn't quite been met yet.
Post some of your thoughts on:

>	- distributed transaction processing applications
>	- TUXEDO, CICS, TRANSARC etc.,
>	- network related issues in OLTP environments
>	- large scale database issues related to OLTP
>	- UNIX OLTP, open system solutions
>	- any other relevant topics to OLTP

and maybe it will.

Dan Hepner

rao@uts.amdahl.com (Madhavan Rangarao) (06/26/91)

Hi netters,

Couple of days back I proposed for the creation of a newsgroup called
comp.OLTP or comp.databases.OLTP.

Since then I have seen lot of discussions on this subject and I have received
overwhelming responses emailed to me supporting the proposal.  I am collecting
all of them to submit a formal proposal to create the newsgroup.

So, please keep the discussions rolling and send your votes to me at
     rao@uts.amdahl.com

Thanks,

Rao ...