[comp.databases] R:BASE 3.1A ----- R:BASE IN GENERAL **********

mekos@caen.engin.umich.edu (Howard S. Nichols Jr.) (06/25/91)

     I would like some feedback on the viablity of R:BASE 3.1a as the platform
for a large database project.  I see few postings on R:BASE or MICRORIM, is this
because of any particular reason.

     Recomendations for an alternative DOS based relational database would
be appreciated also.

						Howard S. Nichols

~
--
     ####   ####
      #### ####   University of Michigan

onder@ISI.EDU (Bruce Onder) (06/26/91)

In article <zvh#aPA@engin.umich.edu> mekos@caen.engin.umich.edu (Howard S. Nichols Jr.) writes:

>   I would like some feedback on the viablity of R:BASE 3.1a as the platform
>for a large database project.I see few postings on R:BASE or MICRORIM, is this
>because of any particular reason.

Well, yes, at least in my particular case.  The reason is:

R:Base bites!

It's slow.  It's clunky.  It's not state of the art.  It's not even 5
years behind the times, it's so outdated.

Try to check for the existence of a file.  Try to find out what the
name of the currently-connected database is.  Try to write
error-handlers.

R:Base was *the* choice in its time -- the early 80s.  *IF* you needed
to have SQL, R:Base was for you.  Now, most everything else blows it
away.

Of course, R:Base gurus know a way to do everything in R:Base (only it
takes a hundred lines of obscure code, uses undocumented features,
relies on C code, or what have you) but you can do the same thing in
any of a number of competing products with a simple keyword, function,
or UDF.  And of course you gotta know an R:Base guru to help you out...

And the Microrim people have a pat response for any problems or
limitations you might take to them:  It's being fixed in the next
release.

The most impressive thing, IMO, about Microrim is: people still buy
R:Base.  People still use it.  Why?  Ya got me.

>   Recomendations for an alternative DOS based relational database would
>be appreciated also.

R:base is a passable product if you just need to create some tables
and make relations between them.  For any real applications, I suggest
you move to something else.

Specifically, I suggest you wait until FoxPro 2.0 hits the street.

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Onder		onder@isi.edu
	       (He's not your everyday-type prankster!)

krisk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kris Klindworth) (06/26/91)

In article <zvh#aPA@engin.umich.edu> mekos@caen.engin.umich.edu (Howard S. Nichols Jr.) writes:

>     I would like some feedback on the viablity of R:BASE 3.1a as the platform
>for a large database project.

Don't do it!  You'll hate yourself when R:BASE-"The next generation"
comes out.

I started out working with R:BASE System V.  I wrote and debugged upwards of
2000 lines of code.  When I upgrade to R:BASE for DOS, I had to go through
a lot of hassle debugging my programs again.  Why?  Because the new features
added lots of new key words and required minor changes in syntax for commands
which already existed.  MICRORIM also did a major overhall of the menuing
system as well, so I had to feel my way around that too.

I switched over to Paradox 3.0 about the time R:BASE 3.0 came out.  Some
of my coworkers upgraded to R:BASE 3.0 and then to 3.1 a few months latter.
Now they are suffering because of it.  Again, NONE of their programs work
(lots of nice new "features", pesky new key words, and capricious variations
of syntax ;-).  They are also having trouble getting use to the
NEW-AND-IMPROVED user interface.

Please don't get me wrong. R:Base 3.1 is better than R:Base for DOS, which
was better than R:Base System V.  From what I have seen of 3.1,  it is
an attractive package, but you say you have a large project.
If MICRORIM stays true to form you'll have to repeat it when
the next version of R:BASE comes out.

If I haven't scared you enough about MICRORIM products, drop me a line
and I'll go into my horror stories about working with their programming
language.

>   Recomendations for an alternative DOS based relational database would
>be appreciated also.

Paradox seems to be a pretty stable platform and I have heard lots
of good things about Foxbase.  If you need SQL, Informix is a company
with a good history on Unix boxes and reviewers have said that their MS-DOS
product is a pretty good developers environment.

Paradox is, of course, my personal preference on MS-DOS machines.  Its
user interface is so simple that I learned to use it in just 2 days, yet
it is so powerful that I really haven't had to write much code.
For things like updating batches of data, I simple turn on the record option
and walk thru one example of the update process.  Paradox records the key
strokes as Paradox Application Language (PAL) commands in a script file.
This file can then be replayed the for the next update.  It can
also be edited and combined with other recorded scripts.
I have used the Personal Programmer applications generator on several
occasions to set up menuing systems into which I patched these recorded
scripts.

  _______     Kris Klindworth                    Internet: krisk@ux1.uiuc.edu
  \      (    Database Programmer/Analyst        Phone   : (217)244-7120
  /      |    Illinois State Water Survey        US Mail : 2204 Griffith Dr
 (      x|<----------------------------------------------- Champaign, IL 61820
  \      |
   (     )    Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed here were mine.  They are
    {_v_}                  not necessarily those of my employer and are
                           subject to change without notice. :-)

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (06/26/91)

In article <18360@venera.isi.edu>, onder@ISI.EDU (Bruce Onder) writes:
|> In article <zvh#aPA@engin.umich.edu> mekos@caen.engin.umich.edu (Howard S. Nichols Jr.) writes:
|>
|> >   I would like some feedback on the viablity of R:BASE 3.1a as the platform
|> >for a large database project.I see few postings on R:BASE or MICRORIM, is this
|> >because of any particular reason.
|>
|> >   Recomendations for an alternative DOS based relational database would
|> >be appreciated also.
|>
|> Specifically, I suggest you wait until FoxPro 2.0 hits the street.
|>
|> Bruce

FoxPro 2.0 will be great, but I don't think you need to wait for it.
FoxPro 1.02 is an excellent product, and the serious bugs have now
been shaken out.  FoxPro 2.0 is supposed to be released soon, but
there have already been delays and who knows when it will finally come
out (take your time, Fox, solid is better than soon).  If you buy 1.02
you will be entitled to a free upgrade to 2.0.

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner          (401)863-7685        pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science   Box 1910        pew@BROWNCS.BITNET
Brown University, Providence, RI 02912        uunet!brunix!pew

onder@ISI.EDU (Bruce Onder) (06/27/91)

In article <79429@brunix.UUCP> pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:

>In article <18360@venera.isi.edu>, onder@ISI.EDU (Bruce Onder) writes:
>|> Specifically, I suggest you wait until FoxPro 2.0 hits the street.
>

>FoxPro 2.0 will be great, but I don't think you need to wait for it.
>FoxPro 1.02 is an excellent product, and the serious bugs have now
>been shaken out.

The reason I didn't suggest 1.02 is that *it's so fun to develop
things in 2.0*!  :)

>FoxPro 2.0 is supposed to be released soon, but
>there have already been delays and who knows when it will finally come
>out (take your time, Fox, solid is better than soon).

Well, Tom Rettig has dibs on the 28th in the pool, but we'll see.

>If you buy 1.02
>you will be entitled to a free upgrade to 2.0.

If you buy it now.  If you bought before February, 2.0 will cost you
$195.  Or so they say.

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Onder		onder@isi.edu

Joel Wallach transmits cosmic energies that dissolve blockages within
 you, boosting your inner power and radiance.  Ten years experience.

GO.MSB@isumvs.iastate.edu (Marvin Beck) (06/27/91)

In article <79429@brunix.UUCP>,
pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:

>|> Specifically, I suggest you wait until FoxPro 2.0 hits the street.
>|>
>|> Bruce
>
>FoxPro 2.0 will be great, but I don't think you need to wait for it.
>FoxPro 1.02 is an excellent product, and the serious bugs have now
>been shaken out.  FoxPro 2.0 is supposed to be released soon, but
>there have already been delays and who knows when it will finally come
>out (take your time, Fox, solid is better than soon).  If you buy 1.02
>you will be entitled to a free upgrade to 2.0.
                           ????

>    Peter
>
>--
>Peter E. Wagner          (401)863-7685        pew@cs.brown.edu
>Department Computer Science   Box 1910        pew@BROWNCS.BITNET
>Brown University, Providence, RI 02912        uunet!brunix!pew

free  ????

I talked to them about a month ago and was told ?$195 for upgrade.
Who is your contact?   Thanks.

Marvin Beck  Iowa State University

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.154737.24043@news.iastate.edu>, GO.MSB@isumvs.iastate.edu (Marvin Beck) writes:
|> In article <79429@brunix.UUCP>,
|> pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:

|> >FoxPro 2.0 will be great, but I don't think you need to wait for it.
|> >FoxPro 1.02 is an excellent product, and the serious bugs have now
|> >been shaken out.  FoxPro 2.0 is supposed to be released soon, but
|> >there have already been delays and who knows when it will finally come
|> >out (take your time, Fox, solid is better than soon).  If you buy 1.02
|> >you will be entitled to a free upgrade to 2.0.
|>                            ????
|> >
|> >    Peter
|> >
|> >--
|>
|> free  ????
|>
|> I talked to them about a month ago and was told c$195 for upgrade.
|> Who is your contact?   Thanks.
|>
|> Marvin Beck  Iowa State University

Free if you're buying FoxPro 1.02 NOW (after 2/91 in fact).  I guess
this wasn't clear.  Sorry about the misleading statement.

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner          (401)863-7685        pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science   Box 1910        pew@BROWNCS.BITNET
Brown University, Providence, RI 02912        uunet!brunix!pew

phred@well.sf.ca.us (Fred Heutte) (06/28/91)

Although there is obvious disdain for R:Base, I think you'll find any
DBMS has its supporters and detractors.  Like any *good* DBMS, R:Base
has good points and some bad ones.  The comments received so far
indicate an incomplete understanding of those, however.

The upgrade from version 2 to version 3 entailed a number of major
changes for the program, including "full" compatibility with ANSI Level 2
SQL (let's not get into any arguments about what that means here ;-),
a completely revamped menu system, much better forms (including
pop-up menus, triggers, etc.) and so forth.  The new version clearly
is slower than version 2 for some functions and faster for others.

Given the market it is aimed for -- mid-level developers and sophisticated
ad-hoc end users -- R:Base is a very nice mainstream PC product.  Unlike
the xBase programs its SQL is inherent in the structure of the program
(not a kludge pasted on top of a record-oriented processing approach),
and the prompts, help system and so forth are nice if somewhat clunky.

I've used R:Base for six years and find it to be a good general-purpose
development environment.  Even RBEDIT, the formerly horrible built-in
program editor, is almost bearable now (although I still use QuickEdit).
I use it for databases with 200 records and those with 200,000.

I have sampled or done some fairly in-depth work with many other DBMS,
including dBase, FoxBase/Pro, Informix for the PC (a real dog, although
the Unix version is fine) and SuperBase.  Microrim has had a varying
commitment to R:Base over the years as its attention was drawn away
to other projects (such as the ill-fated cross-platform Atlas project),
but they keep coming back and improving R:Base itself (sometimes later
rather than sooner, but that's hardly unusual for DBMS companies, as
indicated in somewhat-fair-somewhat-unfair monikers like "Trashed'n'Late" ;-)

Those of us who are more or less R:Base regulars have long want-lists, but
then don't we all.  Paradox is very nice for 'casual' use and in some
cases is much faster than R:Base, but I find its menu/script approach
z0Pw6q-9~a real set of handcuffs.  Once you get into PAL, it's no easier than
any other development language.  For that matter, I find R:Base coding
to be reasonably compact while retaining readability, although some of
its constructs are incredibly irritating.

I would be happy to correspond with anyone having further questions about
R:Base or specific issues and comparisons to other DBMS platforms.

Fred Heutte  W3XY                | Why make it simple and easy
Sunlight Data Systems            | when you can make it complex
PO Box 40308                     | and wonderful?
Portland, Oregon  97240          |
503/241-0858                     |
phred@well.sf.ca.us              |