[comp.databases] Public domain databases

rbr@pdx.csd.mot.com (Bob Rose) (09/12/90)

I too am interested in finding out about any public domain data bases.
Postgres is the only one I've heard of.  Can anyonw write a brief
paragraph on Postgres (where to get it, what it does, how sophisticated,
etc.) and either post to the net or mail to me?
Any information is greatly appreciated.
--
Bob Rose                               Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division
rbr@pdx.csd.mot.com                     . . .  tektronix!nosun!cvedc!mcspdx!rbr

davids@stsci.EDU (David Silberberg) (06/18/91)

I'm interested in finding a public domain database.  This database
would be used as part of a larger user interface system and redistributed
to other sites.  Preferably, it would operate on many different
platforms including SUNs, VAXstations and DECstations.  I would be
willing to pay a developers license fee, but the actual dbms needs
to be free.

Also, does anyone know if SUN plans to bundle a database into
their environment?

Thanks,
David Silberberg

fkam@sodium.Asia.Sun.COM (Francis Kam - Asia CS) (06/20/91)

In article <2778@ghost.EDU> davids@cygnus.stsci.edu.UUCP (David Silberberg) writes:
>I'm interested in finding a public domain database.  This database
>would be used as part of a larger user interface system and redistributed
>to other sites.  Preferably, it would operate on many different
>platforms including SUNs, VAXstations and DECstations.  I would be

Looks like REQUIEM appeared in a few articles before this would be
useful for you.   At least it compiles and runs on my Sun box.

-- francis

--

Francis Kam
SUN Microsystems (Asia)

* Disclaimer:
  the opinion is strictly of my own, and in particular, NOT from my employer.

pbh@jake.tmc.edu (Patrick Haggood) (06/25/91)

In article <1820@west.West.Sun.COM> fkam@sodium.Asia.Sun.COM (Francis Kam - Asia CS) writes:
>In article <2778@ghost.EDU> davids@cygnus.stsci.edu.UUCP (David Silberberg) writes:
>>I'm interested in finding a public domain database.  This database
>>would be used as part of a larger user interface system and redistributed
>>to other sites.  Preferably, it would operate on many different
>>platforms including SUNs, VAXstations and DECstations.  I would be
>
>Looks like REQUIEM appeared in a few articles before this would be
>useful for you.   At least it compiles and runs on my Sun box.

Where is Requiem available? (FTP-able?_

--
Patrick B. Haggood
Wayne STate University

jrj@Spies.COM (Richard Jones) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun24.193250.15824@cs.wayne.edu> pbh@jake.tmc.edu (Patrick Haggood) writes:
>In article <1820@west.West.Sun.COM> fkam@sodium.Asia.Sun.COM (Francis Kam - Asia CS) writes:
>>In article <2778@ghost.EDU> davids@cygnus.stsci.edu.UUCP (David Silberberg) writes:
>>>I'm interested in finding a public domain database.  This database
>>> [ stuff deleted]
>>
>>Looks like REQUIEM appeared in a few articles before this would be
>>useful for you.   At least it compiles and runs on my Sun box.
>
>Where is Requiem available? (FTP-able?_
>
>--
>Patrick B. Haggood
>Wayne STate University