[comp.databases] Database Mailing Lists

rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) (06/19/91)

Hi,

How does one get on to the mailing lists for the following databases:

Oracle

Sybase

Informix

Please EMAIL me your responses, and I would post a summary if interest
warrants.

Thanks

Rohit

--
Rohit Mehrotra
Fleet Credit Corporation

root@dogear.spk.wa.us (Bob Kirkpatrick) (06/20/91)

In article <206@dmdev.UUCP> rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) writes:
>Hi,
>
>How does one get on to the mailing lists for the following databases:
>Informix
>Please EMAIL me your responses, and I would post a summary if interest
>warrants.

I would LOVE to be on a mailing list for Informix. Sorry to post behind a
post, but wanted to echo the request as far as an Informix group/maillist
was concerned.

e-mail responses to: tau-ceti.isc-br.com!dogear.spk.wa.us!root
(Bob Kirkpatrick)

Thanks!

--
Bob Kirkpatrick (root@dogear.spk.wa.us)
Dog Ear'd Systems of Spokane, WA 99202.

pbh@jake.tmc.edu (Patrick Haggood) (06/25/91)

In article <206@dmdev.UUCP> rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) writes:

>Oracle
>Sybase
>Informix

Also, if there is one for FOCUS, I'd like to know too.
--
Patrick B. Haggood
Wayne STate University

barb@hp835.mitek.com (Barbara Rush) (06/25/91)

>In article <206@dmdev.UUCP> rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) writes:
>>How does one get on to the mailing lists for the following databases:
>>
>>Oracle
>>Sybase
>>Informix

I'm interested in Informix and Sybase information.

--
Barbara M. Rush				barb@mitek.com
OpenConnect Systems

ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.214759.10746@mips.mitek.com>, barb@hp835.mitek.com (Barbara Rush) writes:
>>In article <206@dmdev.UUCP> rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) writes:

>>>How does one get on to the mailing lists for the following databases:

>>>Oracle
>>>Sybase
>>>Informix

Greetings -

                        Is it time yet ?

        Over the past six months comp.databases has withered away into a series
of private mailing lists devoted to database packages.  What brave soul will
call for the reorg of the group ?

                comp.databases.oracle
                comp.databases.sybase
                comp.databases.informix
                comp.databases.progress
                comp.databases.ingress
                comp.databases.dbvista
                comp.databases.xbase

--
   "Americans use 50 million tons or 850 million trees of paper annually!"

  Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM _____ 1.301.652.0651 _____ {uunet,anagld}!thinc!ethan
  Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc. 4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814-5299

walt@mathcs.emory.edu (Walt Hultgren {rmy}) (06/25/91)

In article <19621153@thinc.COM> ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) writes:

>    Is it time yet ?
>    comp.databases.informix

I think it's definitely time with respect to Informix topics.  I don't have
the specific numbers handy, but I can give some general idea of the traffic
on our list.  If we get down to a call for discussion, I can be more exact.

The Informix mailing list is 5 months old, and the known member count is 475.
This count does not include a couple of big aliases and local newsgroups, so
I'm sure the actual count is over 500.

We run a one-way gateway out of comp.databases into the list for approx. 300
members.  A combination automatic/manual process selects only articles that
deal with Informix topics.  In the months that I've kept stats, there have
been 450-500 articles posted to c.d, with 9-11 % gatewayed into the list each
month.

If c.d.informix were to be created, I would install a two-way gateway between
that newsgroup and the list.  The 200 current list members with access to News
could then drop off of the list and subscribe to c.d.informix.  This in itself
would be a savings to the Net, not only from valid list traffic but also from
the inevitable percentage of bounces generated by each posting to the e-mail
list.

There would be another benefit not readily apparent from the above numbers.
A number of list members have mentioned that they have access to
comp.databases, but that they want the gateway instead because they don't have
the time or interest to wade through the c.d articles that don't apply to them.
If c.d.informix were created, I think these people would also move from the
list back to News.

So, I think it's time.  If we want to run individual votes to create each
sub-newsgroup, I would be glad to handle the one for comp.databases.informix.

If you would like to discuss this via e-mail, feel free to contact me.

Walt.

--
Walt Hultgren              Internet: walt@rmy.emory.edu       (IP 128.140.8.1)
Emory University         Alternates: walt%rmy.emory.edu@uunet.uu.net

klassen@sol.UVic.CA (Melvin Klassen) (06/26/91)

pbh@jake.tmc.edu (Patrick Haggood) writes:

>Also, if there is one for FOCUS, I'd like to know too.

On the BITNET network, there is such a list.
Send E-mail to 'LISTSERV@ASUACAD.bitnet',
and put 'SUBSCRIBE FOCUS-L Patrick Haggood'
as the *first* line of the *body* of the message.
To remove your ID from this list, send E-mail to the same place,
putting 'SIGNOFF FOCUS-L' as the first line.
To post an article to this list,
send E-mail to 'FOCUS-L@ASUACAD.bitnet'.
(Don't expect to receive a copy of your own posting, although you may
possibly receive a confirmation that your article was distributed.)

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (06/26/91)

First, I second the motion of a comp.databases reorg.  I assume
that comp.databases would be = comp.databases.misc.  I just finished
running a Usenet newsgroup vote, so I'm not real keen on running
another one right now.

Second, here's a list of bitnet-hosted database mailing lists (there's
even a FOCUS mailing list).  Subscription/posting instructions follow.

ADR-L@ALBNYVM1.BITNET    ADR Database Products Discussion List
CLIPPER@BRUFPB.BITNET    List for Clipper and DBMS systems for IBM PC
DBASE-L@NMSUVM1.BITNET   Discussion on the use of the dBase language
DB2-L@AUVM.BITNET        DB2 Data Base Discussion List
IDMS-L@UGA.BITNET        Cullinet IDMS Discussion
INGRES-L@HDETUD1.BITNET  Discussion on the RDBMS INGRES
L-ORACLE@UQAM.BITNET     Usagers Oracle/Oracle's Users
MSSQL-L@DUKEVM.BITNET    Microsoft SQL Server Discussion List
M204-L@AKRONVM.BITNET    Model 204 Database Discussion List
OHEUG-L@UMDD.BITNET      ORACLE Higher Education Users Group
PARADOX@BRUFPB.BITNET    List for Borland Paradox users
SIR-L@UREGINA1.BITNET    SIR/DBMS(r) Software Discussion List
SPIRES-L@BITNIC.BITNET   SPIRES Conference List
SQL-L@FINHUTC.BITNET     SQL discussion list
SQL-L@MITVMA.BITNET      SQL Info Exchange
SQLINFO@UICVM.BITNET     Forum for SQL/DS and Related Topics

First, you'll see there are three SQL lists and three ORACLE lists.
They're all independent of each other.  The SQLINFO list is specific
to the VM (and I assume VSE) SQL/DS environment.

In the following descriptions, the LIST name is listname@node.BITNET.
For example, SQL-L@MITVMA.BITNET.  The SERVER name (the automated
server that manages subscriptions and unsubs) will always be
LISTSERV@node.BITNET (for example LISTSERV@MITVMA.BITNET).

Alternate ways to get to .BITNET, if your mailer doesn't understand
it:

Internet    username%node.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
gateways:   username%node.BITNET@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

bang-path:  ????!uunet!node.BITNET!username
            ???!bitnet!node!username
                ^^^^^^   yep, it's in the maps.

Subject is ignored.  In the body put:

SUB listname Firstname Lastname
SET listname REPRO NOACK

then send it.  LISTSERV will get your e-mail address from the mail
header, and will use the Firstname Lastname in postings to you.
The 2nd line sets the list output to match traditional mail-reflector
mailing list configs - you get a copy of your post, but no acknowledge-
ment that it's been processed (the default for LISTSERV is the other
way around - send a short ACK but no copy of the post).

When you're added, LISTSERV will send you an ack of your request,
and a 'welcome to the mailing list' note.

To unsubscribe from a LISTSERV-hosted list:

Send mail to LISTSERV@node.BITNET, in the body put

UNSUB listname

And you'll get a note saying you've been removed.

To post to the list:

Send mail to listname@node.BITNET.  Use a descriptive subject.

LISTSERV@MITVMA.BITNET and put

SUB SQL-L Doug Sewell
SET SQL-L REPRO NOACK

in the body.  To later unsub, I'd send

UNSUB SQL-L

To LISTSERV@MITVMA.BITNET.

To post a note, I'd send it to SQL-L@MITVMA.BITNET.

Doug
--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,         doug@ysub.bitnet
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555  doug@ysub.ysu.edu

tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (06/27/91)

In article <19621153@thinc.COM> ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) writes:

>Greetings -
>
>                        Is it time yet ?
>
>        Over the past six months comp.databases has withered away into a series
>of private mailing lists devoted to database packages.  What brave soul will
>call for the reorg of the group ?
>
>		[ list of subgroups by vendor name deleted ]

It's getting time, but I would reorg along different lines.  Many
database discussions are not vendor-specific, so we still need a
vanilla comp.databases.  It's also useful to see comparative
discussions of different vendors' products; these might be lost if
discussion was partitioned by vendor.

It might be more useful to decompose along more topical lines, eg:

	comp.databases.theory	- For "what is an RDBMS"-type discussions :-)
	comp.databases.market	- For comparative discussions of released
				  or "announced" products, and "tell me what
				  DBMS to buy" postings.
	comp.databases.appl	- For requests for applications (or DBA) help
				  and answers.  This group could be decomposed
				  further, as:
				.vendorX
				.vendorY ...
				  This might bring the best
				  cost/benefit to decomposing, as most of
				  vendorY's users can probably do without
				  knowing how to change vendorX's screen
				  layouts, etc.

-TW

PS I guess this dialogue now amounts to a CFD, so followups go to
news.groups.
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
WORK:tim@sybase.com     {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
PLAY:axolotl!tim@toad.com		       {sun,uunet}!hoptoad!axolotl!tim
Dis claim er dat claim, what's da difference?  I'm da one doin da talkin' hea.

tomr@dbase.a-t.com (Tom Rombouts) (06/27/91)

In article <19621153@thinc.COM> ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) writes:

>Over the past six months comp.databases has withered away into a series
>of private mailing lists devoted to database packages.  What brave soul will
>call for the reorg of the group ?
>
>                comp.databases.oracle
>                comp.databases.sybase
>                comp.databases.informix
>                comp.databases.progress
>                comp.databases.ingress
>                comp.databases.dbvista
>                comp.databases.xbase

I personally would favor something like this, but still think it would
be appropriate to maintain some sort of generic database(s) group for
debate of relational theory issues, OODBMS topics, calls for papers,
etc.

btw, when something like this came up about a year and a half ago,
(I think) someone posted the argument that anyone with specific
DOS DBMS questions could always post to comp.os.msdos.apps, and thus,
it was not necessary to sub-divide comp.databases  I don't really
agree with this, but the point was made that there do not seem to be
other news groups such as comp.spreadsheets.excel, etc.  On the
other hand, most DBMS vendors are striving to offer cross-platform
products, so maybe the "comp" grouping is appropriate.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

GO.MSB@isumvs.iastate.edu (06/27/91)

In article <19621153@thinc.COM>,
ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) writes:

>Greetings -
>
>                        Is it time yet ?
>
>        Over the past six months comp.databases has withered away into a series
>of private mailing lists devoted to database packages.  What brave soul will
>call for the reorg of the group ?
>
>                comp.databases.oracle
>                comp.databases.sybase
>                comp.databases.informix
>                comp.databases.progress
>                comp.databases.ingress
>                comp.databases.dbvista
>                comp.databases.xbase
>
>--
---------------------------

I do not agree.  I see the purpose of this Newsnet group to create
discussion and illustrate strengths and problems associated with the
various DBMS products.  If you categorize each product, there will be
no cross-fertilization/discussion or exchange of ideas.  They will simply
become technical support groups, which is perhaps what some people want.
(This is probably a typical university versus industry situation).

I have learned a lot reading this news group over the last 6-8 months and
and feel we all would lose from the fragmentation of the readership.  I
agree that wading through 50-60 articles some days is a real pain, but the
exposure to others problems is, to me, illuminating (I am not alone in
this morass) and what these news groups are all about.

I use ORACLE.  I know its limitations.  It is interesting to read of
others finding the same things.  I am currently evaluating INGRES/ABF,
trying to find something better.  I haven't--only different.  I have
Informix on the shelf to evaluate this fall and just finished the first
part of a project using FoxPro.  From what I read, many are trying to
evaluate these products and others and are probably trying to use many of
them simultaneously.  I think continued discussion of the problems and
frustrations of users is a way to educate vendors of the inefficiencies
of their products (for those that read the newsnet and are open to
suggestions).  This general group also provides an indication of which
products to avoid.

Just my humble opinion.

Marvin Beck    Iowa State University
               Ames, Iowa

cy@dbase.a-t.com (Cy Shuster) (06/27/91)

I personally don't think the amount of traffic warrants a split.
Of all the groups I read regularly, this one consistently has the
least volume, typically under 50 articles a day. And I like to
see what's happening with Gio Wiederhold and the rest of the world!

--Cy--
cy@dbase.a-t.com

walt@mathcs.emory.edu (Walt Hultgren {rmy}) (06/28/91)

I don't think it's time to completely reorganize comp.databases into
subject-oriented subgroups.  It would be hard to develop a subject hierarchy
that satisfied everyone, since many database topics are closely related to
others.  The overall traffic in c.d doesn't warrant that yet.

However, I do think there is a need for comp.databases.<product> subgroups.
Having such groups would help segregate purely product-specific discussions
from more general topics.

This would make it easier for users to prioritize their reading.  Also, news
administrators might want to extend the expire times on subgroups for
products used on their systems.

Having product subgroups would make it easier to set up two-way gateways
between the subgroups and their companion mailing lists.  This would simplify
the news/list topology.  Each user could operate in either the news or list
"space" without worrying about missing something in the other.

I propose that we leave comp.databases as is for now, but that we agree to
allow people interested in productX to create comp.databases.productX if
they can muster the votes.  Each new subgroup will have its own RFD, CFV
and vote.

If you like to follow all database topics as I do, you can subscribe not
only to c.d, but to all subgroups.  There are other users, though, who
because of time or interest would prefer to read only about their products
and truly general topics.  This scheme would serve everyone's needs.

Walt.

--
Walt Hultgren              Internet: walt@rmy.emory.edu       (IP 128.140.8.1)
Emory University         Alternates: walt%rmy.emory.edu@uunet.uu.net
954 Gatewood Road, NE                walt%rmy.emory.edu@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Atlanta, GA  30329  USA      BITNET: walt@EMORY
Voice: +1 404 727 0648         UUCP: {...,gatech,rutgers,uunet}!emory!rmy!walt

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun27.150304.23017@news.iastate.edu> GO.MSB@isumvs.iastate.edu writes:

<re: discussions of splitting comp.databases>

>I do not agree.  I see the purpose of this Newsnet group to create
>discussion and illustrate strengths and problems associated with the
>various DBMS products.  If you categorize each product, there will be
>no cross-fertilization/discussion or exchange of ideas.  They will simply
>become technical support groups, which is perhaps what some people want.
>(This is probably a typical university versus industry situation).

Marvin,

I agree 100%.  I have noticed repeatedly that discussions invariably turn
to splitting a newsgroup as the message count approaches 20 per day...

Do people believe it is more productive to read 4 newsgroups each having
5 messages ?  I don't.  And along the lines that you point out, I'm unlikely
to follow a comp.oracle newsgroup but would likely read Oracle related
messages here (well let's say I would scan them).

Add to that the need to cross-post messages if a question is of some interest
to many product users and one actually increases network traffic.

I'll vote NO on newsgroup fragmentation...

tom leylan