[comp.databases] Looking for help with FoxBASE+ from SCO

francis@cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (06/25/91)

I've programmed FoxBASE+ on the Mac, and am now trying to write a program for
FoxBASE+ from SCO on our Sun 4's.  I'm not having any problems with FoxBASE
itself per se, but I have a few questions relating to the interaction between
it and my shell.  In particular:

I want to have a FoxBASE+ program dump its output to /dev/null, so the user
doesn't see it.  Any problems with the idea?  Ultimately, this should be run
as a nightly cron job; does that create a problem?

If you look at the script that actually runs foxplus, it feeds it one of two
options, either -H or -S.  What exactly do these do?  Does this relate to my
question above, by any chance?
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) (06/28/91)

)
) I want to have a FoxBASE+ program dump its output to /dev/null, so the user
) doesn't see it.  Any problems with the idea?  Ultimately, this should be run
) as a nightly cron job; does that create a problem?

It's not a problem with later versions of Fox+ (I believe they fixed this in
the first 2.1 release).

) If you look at the script that actually runs foxplus, it feeds it one of two
) options, either -H or -S.  What exactly do these do?  Does this relate to my
) question above, by any chance?

Hmmm. My current version doesn't do this (2.1.2). What version are you using ?
--
< Alan H. Mintz  | alan@ahmcs.mq.com | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan >

shevett@dworkin.UUCP ( Sysop) (06/28/91)

francis@cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:

>I want to have a FoxBASE+ program dump its output to /dev/null, so the user
>doesn't see it.  Any problems with the idea?  Ultimately, this should be run
>as a nightly cron job; does that create a problem?

Nope.  I tried this the other day, running an app doing:

[Dave] /u/accts/shevett> foxplus trythis > $HOME/tmptmp

Afterwords, I catted the file, and it had all the codes generated from
the app in it.  (looked like I was running this application *REAL* fast ;-)

>If you look at the script that actually runs foxplus, it feeds it one of two
>options, either -H or -S.  What exactly do these do?  Does this relate to my
>question above, by any chance?

Hmmm.  Never looked it.  Dunno.  (anyone else?)

alan@ahmcs.mq.com (Alan Mintz) (06/30/91)

In article <54@dworkin.UUCP>, shevett@dworkin.UUCP ( Sysop) writes:
) francis@cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:
)
) >I want to have a FoxBASE+ program dump its output to /dev/null, so the user
) >doesn't see it.  Any problems with the idea?  Ultimately, this should be run
) >as a nightly cron job; does that create a problem?
)
) Nope.  I tried this the other day, running an app doing:
)
) [Dave] /u/accts/shevett> foxplus trythis > $HOME/tmptmp
)
) Afterwords, I catted the file, and it had all the codes generated from
) the app in it.  (looked like I was running this application *REAL* fast ;-)

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does this create a problem? This is
what he wants it to do (I think).
--
< Alan H. Mintz  | alan@ahmcs.mq.com | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan >