[comp.os.eunice] Help with EUNICE 4.2 wanted

rjd@nancy.UUCP (02/11/87)

I've been noticing that net traffic on comp.os.eunice is quite light,
so I hope I'm not just casting a bottle into an ocean when I ask this,
but...

I am trying to bring news 2.11 up on EUNICE BSD 4.2, but I am having
tremendous problems in doing so. Could someone out there who has
attempted a similar feat, whether successful or not, drop me a line?

Many thanks in advance...

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd
	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

------
	"...I am not so sure what you want me for!
         Either your machine is a fool, or me..."   -- "WarGames", CSN

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <12225@brunix.UUCP> rjd@brunix.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:

  Hey Rob, how ya doing. I am also in the middle of putting the software
 our Eunice. (For reasons that I am sure you have heard about.) I've
 have gotten as far as getting the news transfered regularily now. But
 there is a problem with the active file. You see it does not get updated.
 I have gotten vnews working along with readnews. "rn" is another headache.

 Personally I think Eunice is retarded. But hey thats just my opinion.
 It may have something to do with it being 4.1 rather than 4.3 or 4.2.
 Actually that should read based on 4.1. We do have Eunice 4.2 as you
 know.

  UUCP is working just great, well great for UUCP under eunice/vms,
  whatever that means.

>I am trying to bring news 2.11 up on EUNICE BSD 4.2, but I am having
>tremendous problems in doing so. Could someone out there who has
>attempted a similar feat, whether successful or not, drop me a line?

  So how far have you gotten ? Does uucp work yet ? What have you
  got working ?

  mark
--
    edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (02/13/87)

Hi.  I wrote the code to make news 2.11 run on Eunice.  If people
are having problems with it I'd like to hear about them.

But before writing to me:

1) Make sure you have Eunice version 4.2 (the bsd version)
2) Make sure you have installed all three patches.
3) Before building, check inews.c.  If the line

	UNLINK(ACTIVE, bfr)

appears in it, change this line to

	UNLINK(bfr)

(I said "if" because I think there's a corrected version of patch #3
floating around that doesn't introduce this bug).

4) Make sure to type "vmsobj" before building! (Very important).

5) Start by copying "localize.vms" to localize.sh.  Make your local
changes in your copy of localize.sh (see the installation manual).
By the way, read the whole installation manual; most of the things
you have to know are the same things people on real Unices need to
know (I considered saying RTFM but decided to be polite).

6) Whenever you modify "active", make sure the file ends up in Unix
   format, or chaos will result.

Finally, if you write to me, send your localize.sh.
--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4,sun,ames}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

kashtan@sri-unix.UUCP (02/18/87)

This is just to let everybody know that the 4.3bsd based Eunice exists.
I gave it to Wollongong about 1.5 years ago and apparently it is just
now starting to trickle out to sites that call up and specifically
request it.  It is orders of magnitude better than the other versions of
Eunice that TWG is distributing (it has full symbolic link support and
select!).  So please, save my reputation and call up to ask for your
copy of the 4.3bsd based Eunice -- don't settle for less...
David