[comp.os.eunice] Messy-Dos Depth

bdale@winfree.UUCP (04/29/87)

In article <18509@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>  Erik E. Fair  writes:
>>If you're a Eunice user, and you keep your news in /usr/spool/news,
>>you can't have five-part newsgroups such as comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest

>Does MS/DOS have this problem too? If so, I'd be interested to know
>what Lauren Weinstein did in UULINK.

Messy-Dos does not have a depth limitation.  It can get somewhat slow
when you get very deep though... but I've run 14 or 15 levels without
problems, and there's no theoretical reason that I know of that you
can't go deeper.

--

Bdale Garbee, N3EUA		phone: 303/593-9828 h, 303/590-2868 w
uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,hpcsma,ncc,pitt,usafa,vixie}!winfree!bdale

root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) (05/06/87)

+---- Bdale Garbee writes the following in article <31@winfree.UUCP> ----
| >Does MS/DOS have this problem too?   [ pathname length limits  jmp]
|
| Messy-Dos does not have a depth limitation.  ... I've run 14 or 15
| levels without problems, and there's no theoretical reason that I
| know of that you can't go deeper.
|
| Bdale Garbee, N3EUA
+----

MS-DOS limits a pathname to 60 characters MAX.  C:/usr/plocher/file.dat
uses up 15 characters for the pathname part (plus 8 for a filename).
MS-DOS Tech ref manual, section 6, look at the chdir function for
documentation - This is from memory, so the man page reference may
be the wrong one to quote.

--
 John Plocher		UUCP: <backbone>!uwvax!uwmacc!hobbes!plocher
==============      Internet: plocher%hobbes.UUCP@uwvax.WISC.EDU

mack@humming.UUCP (Ed Mackenty) (05/15/87)

In article <31@winfree.UUCP> bdale@winfree.UUCP (Bdale Garbee) writes:
>Messy-Dos does not have a depth limitation.  It can get somewhat slow
>when you get very deep though... but I've run 14 or 15 levels without
>problems, and there's no theoretical reason that I know of that you
>can't go deeper.

There is a limit on the number of characters in the current directory
path specification: 64.  This restriction is not imposed by the file
system design, but by DOS.  Check the documentation for DOS INT 21H
Functions 3BH (CHDIR) and 47H (Get Current Directory) in the DOS Technical
Reference Manual.  That's the only place I know of where this is documented.

It seems that you should be able to create files below this level and just
reference them by specifying the part of the path that is over 64
characters.  This does not work, however.  If you CD to a directory
whose path is almost 64 character long, you can create files in it, and
MKDIR directories, but you cannot create any files in those sub-directories.
You get the "Invalid directory" error.

DISCLAIMER:  I *hate* MS-DOS.  I only know this much about it because I
	get paid to use it.  I guess I'm just a software mercenary!
--
- MacK		Edmund R. MacKenty
USENET:		...{seismo,rutgers,ames}!harvard!humming!mack