[comp.std.internat] comp.std.internat is moribund

I move we kill comp.std.internat.  Since the renaming, its entire content
has been cross-posted; the handful of non-cross-posted articles are all
spinoffs from cross-posted discussions.  Essentially all the cross-posted
material seems to me to be more appropriate for the other groups it is
posted to.  Comp.std.internat, however noble its original intent and early
history, is now basically content-free.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

dcm@apollo.uucp (Dave McCracken) (12/18/86)

In article <7421@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>I move we kill comp.std.internat.  Since the renaming, its entire content
>has been cross-posted; the handful of non-cross-posted articles are all
>spinoffs from cross-posted discussions.  Essentially all the cross-posted
>material seems to me to be more appropriate for the other groups it is
>posted to.  Comp.std.internat, however noble its original intent and early
>history, is now basically content-free.

While I recognize the need to clear totally obsolete groups form the net,
I think it is entirely premature to advocate the demise of comp.std.internat.
I have seen several worthwhile discussions in this group since it (or net.internat)
was created last year.  The topics it is attempting to address are something
all of us in the commercial software business should be aware of.  Many groups
have periods where they are essentially idle, or only get spillover from
other groups.  That does not necessarily mean they will never be useful again.
If we delete this group now there will be no forum for the (projected) future
discussions we may all be interested in.

Dave McCracken