[comp.std.internat] international upper- and lowercase

karl@haddock.UUCP (Karl Heuer) (01/12/87)

In article <3231@cbosgd.ATT.COM> mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>What is the toupper function supposed to do when presented with an ess-tset
>[which is a German letter with no uppercase equivalent]?

The way I read it, toupper returns its argument unchanged if it isn't
lowercase, or if it has no uppercase equivalent.

On a related note: In the May86 Draft (which predates setlocale(), so this is
probably all out of date now) I read that isalpha tests for "any character for
which isupper or islower is true, or any of an implementation-defined set of
[other characters]".  Are there any alphabets that contain letters that are
considered neither uppercase nor lowercase?  (If so, the usual trick of or'ing
the isupper and islower bits together wouldn't work.)