[comp.std.internat] Newgroup Proposal: comp.protocols.iso

mats@forbrk.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) (06/25/87)

In article <15927@gatech.gatech.edu> spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>The group comp.std.internat has existed for over 2 years for precisely
>the kind of discussion you are suggesting.  The group has hardly been
>used since its (rather noisy) creation.  I'd suggest you use that for
>ISO discussions.

Gulp! Spaf seems to be chiding those of us who made all the noise about
comp.std.internat, which, as I recall, he didn't see much need for.
Well, we deserve it.

I have tried a couple of times to stimulate some discussion, but haven't
gotten much action. Well, I am still interested in the topics (my customers
in France and elsewhere give me no choice), but I am almost resigned
to not getting anything from the net. If anybody is interested in what
is in System V, Release 3.1, I do have the source code sitting around.
It isn't much, though - the one-page blurb AT&T sends out pretty
much covers it.

X/OPEN seems to have settled on HP's ideas as being the most useful; now
we are trying to track down whether HP is actually pushing a product
to promote as a standard, or whether it is all internal (i.e., available
inside HP products only). Does anybody have further information?

Re: comp.protocols.iso - ISO provides standards for lots of things;
in the context it was mentioned, the potential group should perhaps
be called comp.protocols.osi. I don't fully agree that comp.std.internat
should be used for those discussions, but since *we* aren't using it....

Mats Wichmann

rgt@hpfclo.HP.COM (Ron Tolley) (07/02/87)

> X/OPEN seems to have settled on HP's ideas as being the most useful; now
> we are trying to track down whether HP is actually pushing a product
> to promote as a standard, or whether it is all internal (i.e., available
> inside HP products only). Does anybody have further information?

> Mats Wichmann

The source code should not be terribly  hard to come by.  X/OPEN  member
companies have been given an opportunity to acquire it directly from HP.
Those outside of X/OPEN may chose to contact one of several firms:

	Instruction Set (London)

	Interactive Systems Corporation (in the U.S.)

	Lachman Associates (in the U.S.)

	Unisoft (Berkeley, Munich, Tokyo)

Sorry that I don't have more information on these companies.  You may also
be able to get information from local HP sales offices.

Ron Tolley
Hewlett-Packard/System Software Operation

rgt@hpfclo.HP.COM (Ron Tolley) (07/03/87)

More detailed information on getting HP's NLS solution.

The following firms are actively distributing the Hewlett-Packard Native
Language  Support  software.  It is  described in Volume 3 of the X/OPEN
Portability Guide (January 1987).

	Instruction Set Limited
	City House
	190 City Road
	London EC1V 2QH England

	Attention: Peter Griffiths

	Telephone: (44) 125-12128	(44 is the country code)

also

	Unisoft Corporation
	739 Allston Way
	Berkeley, California  94710

	Attention: Susan Hanson

	Telephone: (1) 415-644-1230	(1 is the country code)

Ron Tolley
Hewlett-Packard/Systems Software Operation