[comp.std.internat] PHIGS standard

pom@under..ARPA (Peter O. Mikes) (05/09/88)

RE: PHIGS standard

	Can somebode please tell me at what stage of developement
is the PHIGS standard for the computer graphics? Is it (or draft)
available (where) and are there any libraries implementing it on
the market?
	either e-mail or posting is fine 	Thanks for your help. Peter

sxm@philabs.Philips.Com (Sandeep Mehta) (05/09/88)

In article <22221@mordor.s1.gov> pom@s1-under.UUCP () writes:

>RE: PHIGS standard
>
>	Can somebode please tell me at what stage of developement
>is the PHIGS standard for the computer graphics? Is it (or draft)
>available (where) and are there any libraries implementing it on
>the market?

PHIGS is a draft 3D standard, and PHIGS+ is a industry proposed
extension to PHIGS. The PHIGS package I use is FIGARO, from Template Graphics
Software. I have not used it extensively, so I cannot give you a comprehensive
analysis. It is written in FORTRAN, and the language bindings are a problem.
The SUN F77 compiler is implemented in C, so your can get around it. Sun
seems to have endorsed the product as it features in their brochures for the
CXP series of workstations. The number for Template is 800-428-7588.

sandeep
--
Sandeep Mehta                                                  (914)-945-6478
Robotics & Flexible Automation                        uunet!philabs!bebop!sxm

beach@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Rick Beach) (05/18/88)

The PHIGS standard will be published by SIGGRAPH in Computer Graphics,
volume 22, number 3, July 1988.  Additional copies of this issue
of the newsletter will be printed for distribution.  The camera-ready
copy is being prepared by Andy van Dam and Barry Kingsbury.

Details will be posted when the issue is published.

Richard J. Beach
SIGGRAPH editor-in-chief