[comp.std.internat] Are OSI Documents Public Domain?

todd@SEAS.UCLA.EDU (06/04/88)

I'd like to obtain ISO OSI documents for several members of our
networking group.  I'm aware that the US's rep is ANSI and that we
can purchase the documents from Omnicom +1 703 281-1135, but wanted
to streamline the procedure and get machine readable copies.  Are
these documents available anywhere electronicaly?

--todd booth / ucla data comm
ArpaNet todd@seas.ucla.EDU        /  BitNet csdctgb@uclamvs.bitnet
UUCP    {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!todd   / 213 825-1933

andrea@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (06/10/88)

In article <13122@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> todd@SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Todd Booth) writes:
>I'd like to obtain ISO OSI documents for several members of our
>networking group.  I'm aware that the US's rep is ANSI and that we
>can purchase the documents from Omnicom +1 703 281-1135, but wanted
>to streamline the procedure and get machine readable copies.  Are
>these documents available anywhere electronicaly?

Unfortunately, ANSI has still not figured out how they want (or IF they
want) to make standards available electronicly.

And once the standard is approved, ANSI owns it and forbids the
document editor from sharing it around, since the money from sales of
standards is an important source of revenue supporting standards work.

We have volunteered to send them a tar tape of the troff input and
macros of several of the graphics standards, straight off the document
editor's machine, but no dice so far.  You might write a letter on your
official letterhead to ANSI expressing your need for such - if they get
enough of them, they might, just might, decide to figure out what
they'd charge for it and how they'd handle the logistics.  (But don't
hold your breath ;@)

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
                "...I brought you a paddle for your favorite canoe."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hpcea.ce.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA