[comp.std.internat] PHIGS

jch@apollo.uucp (Jan Hardenbergh) (06/28/88)

> Does anybody know anything about a proposed graphics standard `PHIGS'? Where
> can I get the proposal?
> --
> Gernot Heiser <heiser@iis.UUCP> Phone:       +41 1/256 23 48

PHIGS has been voted on by ANSI X3, The parent organization for all
computer standards ( X3H3 graphics, X3J? for languages ). The vote
was 33 yes & 4 no.

The PHIGS commitee (X3H3.1) is meeting this week. It must respond to the
no voters. Once the nos have been responded to it will become an ANSI
standard. It will be published in one of those olive drab and white
books. It is DIS 9592 in ISO and it is expected to become an
international standard with out significant modification. I think it
moves from draft to proposed in ISO in July.

The Oct 87 spec is the one that was voted on by X3. It will get some
editorial changes. There is an effort to add lighting and surfaces call
PHIGS+. PHIGS+ 3.0 has been forwarded to ANSI X3H3 for consideration.
There was a PHIGS+ mailing list set up through this group 1-2 months ago.
 phigs+-request@ut-sally. There is also PEX ( PHIGS/+ & X11 ). This is
being worked on by a subset of the MIT X consortium.

Since the standard is so close to being published I would wait and get
the "real" thing from ANSI.

In Europe I would try to contact ISO to get a copy of the spec. (9592)

Apollo just announced Domain/PHIGS based on the Oct 87 spec. Digital
(VS8000), Raster Tech(?), Template (Figaro) & IBM (graPHIGS) all sell PHIGS
packages. I am trying not to let any bias slip through - to the best of
my knowledge these are the available products.

Jan Hardenbergh        jch@apollo.com            Apollo Computer
                       {attunix, decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie}!apollo!jch