[comp.std.internat] All numeric representation of dates

miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) (08/27/88)

In article <183@dcs.UUCP>, wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:

 > Actually, (YY)YY-MM-DD, or rather (YY)YY MM DD, is the way school children in
 > Germany and Austria are taught nowadays to write the date. I believe it is at
 > least a DIN and OeNORM standard (German & Austrian), and may even be an
 > ISO/SI standard. Seems that Europe is ahead of North America in that respect.

       ^^ SI refers to the International System d'unite;
          ISO is the International Standards Organization,
          which has produced standards on the use of SI,
          viz ISO 31, ISO 1000.

The international standard for the representation of dates in all numeric form
is ISO 2014.  As far as I am aware, the University of Western Ontario has
officially adopted this format for the all numeric representation of dates.

                        Greg Miller

----

 InterNet: miller@vax85.uwo.CA       MAIL:  Room 024, Chemistry Building
                                            University of Western Ontario
 NetNorth: MILLER@UWOVAX.BITNET             LONDON, Ontario, N6A 5B7

 UseNet:   miller@julian.UUCP        PHONE: (519) 679-2111 ext 6325

In article <622@uwovax.uwo.ca> miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) writes:
>The international standard for the representation of dates in all numeric form
>is ISO 2014.  As far as I am aware, the University of Western Ontario has
>officially adopted this format for the all numeric representation of dates.

Of course, in (at least) English-speaking areas, where people are much more
familiar with the month names than the month numbers, using all-numeric
dates in the human interface is STUPID STUPID STUPID.

I also question the human engineering of forms that put the year first.
It is consistent, and in some sense elegant, but it is poorly adapted to
human needs.  The most important information should be first.  For most
uses of dates, that is the day number, followed by the month.

For internal forms, never seen by humans (programmers don't count :-)),
ISO numeric dates are fine.  They are also of some use in environments
where multilingual legibility takes priority over legibility in any
specific language.  Otherwise, please be sensible rather than standard!
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (08/29/88)

From article <1988Aug28.010835.17290@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
> In article <622@uwovax.uwo.ca> miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) writes:
>>The international standard for the representation of dates in all numeric form
>>is ISO 2014.  As far as I am aware, the University of Western Ontario has
>>officially adopted this format for the all numeric representation of dates.
>
> Of course, in (at least) English-speaking areas, where people are much more
> familiar with the month names than the month numbers, using all-numeric
> dates in the human interface is STUPID STUPID STUPID.
>
> I also question the human engineering of forms that put the year first.
> It is consistent, and in some sense elegant, but it is poorly adapted to
> human needs.  The most important information should be first.  For most
> uses of dates, that is the day number, followed by the month.

     Ah, I see... Tell me, do you think your odometer should present
     the last two digits first, then some verbal representation of
     the next-to-last two digits, followed by the remaining digits?

     If not, then why should a chronometer be any different??

     If you REALLY want to question methods of presenting time, why
     not investigate the asinine 12-hour format used in the United
     States?  The 24-hour, European standard is MUCH more sensible
     than the American practice of ignoring the large carrier space
     provided by the two-digit hour representation, and then requiring
     the use of two extra alphabetical characters to indicate which
     portion of the 24-hour carrier space is intended...

     But in a country which continues to use the obsolescent British
     measurements when even Britain has abandoned it in favor of the
     far more sensible metric system, such stupidity is to be expected.

                                        Bill Wolfe

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/29/88)

In article <2882@hubcap.UUCP> billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From article <1988Aug28.010835.17290@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
>     Ah, I see... Tell me, do you think your odometer should present
>     the last two digits first, then some verbal representation of
>     the next-to-last two digits, followed by the remaining digits?
>
>     If not, then why should a chronometer be any different??

Can you read? Henry argued from the FAMILIARITY of the month names versus
numbers. If you can tell me of one place where the scheme you describe is
more FAMILIAR to folks than an all-numeric mileage, then fine. If you can't,
stop using silly, contrived examples.

>     If you REALLY want to question methods of presenting time, why
>     not investigate the asinine 12-hour format used in the United
>     States?  The 24-hour, European standard is MUCH more sensible
>     than the American practice of ignoring the large carrier space
>     provided by the two-digit hour representation, and then requiring
>     the use of two extra alphabetical characters to indicate which
>     portion of the 24-hour carrier space is intended...
>
>     But in a country which continues to use the obsolescent British
>     measurements when even Britain has abandoned it in favor of the
>     far more sensible metric system, such stupidity is to be expected.

We are discussing (and questioning) representation of DATES, not the TIME
within a specific date :-).

And the "asinine American practice" you are flaming used to be, and still
is to some extent, the practice of ALL ENGLISH-SPEAKING COUNTRIES.

British measurements continue to be in quite some use in Britain, co-existing
with metric measurements only under the pressures created by EEC membership.
If you don't believe that, please explain why my in-laws in London still get
their milk delivered in pint bottles, why distances and speed limits are
posted in miles all over Britain, etc.

The only difference I notice in the use of metric measurements is that on
food packages in the US, the metric designation of weight or volume is enclosed
in parentheses, while in Britain both metric and imperial designations are shown
without parentheses.

Besides, what are you trying to do to Henry? He was under fire only recently
for apparently disagreeing with NASA -- do you want him to publicly disagree
with and flame the entire US population?
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

amos@taux02.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (08/29/88)

In article <2882@hubcap.UUCP> billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>     Ah, I see... Tell me, do you think your odometer should present
>     the last two digits first, then some verbal representation of
>     the next-to-last two digits, followed by the remaining digits?
>
>     If not, then why should a chronometer be any different??
> [more about 24 vs. 12 hour representation]

You miss the  point: we are talking about  representation of information
for use by humans, which means it should be done the way humans are used
to do it.  Computers (and yes, programmers too) should  invest the extra
effort to present data in a form useful to their customers.

For scientific  purposes, time is  already presented in the  Julian date
system (e.g., the  time now is 2447402.78570 days). It  would be nice if
everybody used this system. Coming to  think of it, everybody should use
the binary system - it would be so much easier to program! :-)
--
	Amos Shapir				amos@nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel)

hulsebos@philmds.UUCP (Rob Hulsebos) (08/29/88)

In article <2882@hubcap.UUCP> billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>     But in a country which continues to use the obsolescent British
>     measurements when even Britain has abandoned it in favor of the
>     far more sensible metric system, such stupidity is to be expected.

It's not stupidity...

As far as I can recall from history lessons a long, long time ago, in 1776 or so
the US Congress adopted a currency system based on the decimal system instead
of on the British currency system.
Congress also decided that English would the the language of the country,
instead of German. Those in favor of English won with the smallest possible
margin of only _1_ vote. I wonder what the course of history would have been
had German become the US language.
Wouldn't life be much easier if the USA would speak German :-)
and thus also use the metric system ? Even the word 'dollar' is derived from
German!

R.A. Hulsebos                                       ...!mcvax!philmds!hulsebos
Philips I&E Automation Modules                            phone: +31-40-785723
Building TQ-III-1, room 11
Eindhoven, The Netherlands                                # cc -O disclaimer.c

billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (08/29/88)

From article <187@dcs.UUCP>, by wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul):
> In article <2882@hubcap.UUCP> billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>>From article <1988Aug28.010835.17290@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
>>     Ah, I see... Tell me, do you think your odometer should present
>>     the last two digits first, then some verbal representation of
>>     the next-to-last two digits, followed by the remaining digits?
>>
>>     If not, then why should a chronometer be any different??
>
> Can you read? Henry argued from the FAMILIARITY of the month names versus
> numbers. If you can tell me of one place where the scheme you describe is
> more FAMILIAR to folks than an all-numeric mileage, then fine. If you can't,
> stop using silly, contrived examples.

     Yes, I can read.  But familiarity does not imply that a system
     is in any sense optimal.  If that were true, there would be no
     point in converting to the metric system...

> [12-hour time measurement, British units of measure] used to be, and still
> is to some extent, the practice of ALL ENGLISH-SPEAKING COUNTRIES.

      See above.

> Besides, what are you trying to do to Henry?

      To point out that when an international standard exists which
      is clearly superior to the one currently in use, that standard
      should be ADOPTED and not opposed because "we've done it this
      way for the last 2 zillion years, and we haven't the sense to change".

      (Not a direct quote, but a basic summary of the position).

                                          Bill Wolfe

In article <2882@hubcap.UUCP> billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>> I also question the human engineering of forms that put the year first.
>> It is consistent, and in some sense elegant, but it is poorly adapted to
>> human needs.  The most important information should be first.  For most
>> uses of dates, that is the day number, followed by the month.
>
>     Ah, I see... Tell me, do you think your odometer should present
>     the last two digits first, then some verbal representation of
>     the next-to-last two digits, followed by the remaining digits?

Since the number on an odometer is simply a kilometer/mile number, with
no significant internal structure, the analogy is invalid.  If mileage
were given as a <country, state, county, miles> tuple, would you want
the state displayed as a name or a number?

>     If you REALLY want to question methods of presenting time, why
>     not investigate the asinine 12-hour format used in the United
>     States?  The 24-hour, European standard is MUCH more sensible...

Well, personally I use the 24-hour form whenever possible.
--

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (08/30/88)

billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu wrote:
->Henry Spencer wrote:
->> Of course, in (at least) English-speaking areas, where people are much more
->> familiar with the month names than the month numbers, using all-numeric
->> dates in the human interface is STUPID STUPID STUPID.
->>
->     Ah, I see... Tell me, do you think your odometer should present
->     the last two digits first, then some verbal representation of
->     the next-to-last two digits, followed by the remaining digits?

no, it shouldn't, because those last two digits on your odometer don't
have much significance in the daily course of events in a particular
person's life.  the dates of various events do.  days, months, and
years have significance outside of their inclusion in a particular
date; the hundreds and thousands place of my odometer  doesn't. (how
many people out there know *exactly* what their odometer reading is?
... how many people out there know *exactly* what today's date is?)

->     If not, then why should a chronometer be any different??

because a chronometer and a clock aren't necessarily the same thing.
they both keep time, but they keep time for different purposes.

# Henry Mensch  /  <henry@garp.mit.edu>  /  E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# {decvax,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry   /  <henry@uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa>

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (08/30/88)

In article <107@taux02.UUCP> amos@taux02.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
>For scientific  purposes, time is  already presented in the  Julian date
>system (e.g., the  time now is 2447402.78570 days). It  would be nice if
>everybody used this system. Coming to  think of it, everybody should use
>the binary system - it would be so much easier to program! :-)

Continuing in the same spirit of humour:  the Imperial system of liquid
measures *was* binary!

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/30/88)

In article <2896@hubcap.UUCP> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From article <187@dcs.UUCP>, by wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul):
>> Can you read? Henry argued from the FAMILIARITY of the month names versus
>> numbers. If you can tell me of one place where the scheme you describe is
>> more FAMILIAR to folks than an all-numeric mileage, then fine. If you can't,
>> stop using silly, contrived examples.
>
>     Yes, I can read.  But familiarity does not imply that a system
>     is in any sense optimal.  If that were true, there would be no
>     point in converting to the metric system...

There probably isn't, not for the little old lady shopping for groceries,
and not in a lot of other situations. If and when we convert to the metric
system, it won't be because it's optimal for every application, but because
it's simpler to have just one system worldwide.

>> Besides, what are you trying to do to Henry?
>
>      To point out that when an international standard exists which
>      is clearly superior to the one currently in use, that standard
>      should be ADOPTED and not opposed because "we've done it this
>      way for the last 2 zillion years, and we haven't the sense to change".

"Clearly superior" depends on the situation and application. For much of human
interaction, alpha-numeric dates are clearly superior to all-numeric dates,
simply because human beings are not computers or calculators.

I don't think you understand our motives for not blindly accepting anything
anybody sets up as a "standard", international or otherwise. It's not because
we've always done it this way, it's because for some purposes, the "standard"
is less than optimal, and there's nothing to be gained by adopting the standard.

>      (Not a direct quote, but a basic summary of the position).

No -- your (erroneous) interpretation of the position, and it illustrates
your obnoxious attitude. I didn't reply to your initial article (or to this one)
because I want to crusade against ISO standards, but because I dislike your toneand attitude.

steve@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) (08/30/88)

From article <187@dcs.UUCP>, by wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul):
> In article <2882@hubcap.UUCP> billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>>From article <1988Aug28.010835.17290@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
>>     Ah, I see... Tell me, do you think your odometer should present
>>     the last two digits first, then some verbal representation of
>>     If not, then why should a chronometer be any different??
>
> Can you read? Henry argued from the FAMILIARITY of the month names versus
> numbers. If you can tell me of one place where the scheme you describe is
> more FAMILIAR to folks than an all-numeric mileage, then fine. If you can't,
> stop using silly, contrived examples.

If he is talking of the article I'm thinking of, the guy called the
all-numeric representation STUPID (with, I believe, caps).  He argued that
the ANR is stupid and that other orderings MAKE MORE SENSE, as opposed to
being more familiar.
to quote:
))> I also question the human engineering of forms that put the year first.
))> ....   The most important information should be first.  For most
))> uses of dates, that is the day number, followed by the month.

  One thing I'd like to point out is that, in Canada, we have a problem
because there are TWO common methods in use: The Canadian method and the
American method. (don't ask which is which..)
  One goes: mm dd yy
  the other: dd mm yy
    It can be reall fun trying to tell the difference between Jan 8/88 (010888
and 1st Aug /88  (010888).  At LEAST with the new method, YOU CAN TELL THE
(&'$#%!) DIFFERENCE!!!!!
(at lest until 2001, that is, and I hope we'll be used to the new method
by then)

--
-------------
Stephen Samuel 	  (userzxcv@ualtamts.bitnet   or  alberta!edm!steve)

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (08/30/88)

I seem to have stimulated some discussion by mentioning my preference
for the representation of dates as "yyyy mm dd".  I have more.

Someone argues that significant things should come first and then says that
days or months are more significant.  To him I would say that as one ages,
ones perspective changes (smile).  But I digress.  Let me get to the point.

I find lines of the type

	From site!user  Tue Aug 30 07:52:53 EDT 1988

(which appear on mail messages on my machine) to be slightly
irritating.  Every time I think about them I get the idea that
the programmer/designer included the year as an afterthought.

I am glad to see that some news posting programs now give date/time
with a "GMT" attached, and I wish that more mailers did this.  I
correspond with people in different time zones, and sometimes find
it painful to figure out what time it was when the message was written.
I think I would like a line in news and mail files that gives the
date and time in a standardized ( = agreed upon ) format.

I suppose we will continue to have lines like the above, and/or
like

	Date: 31 Aug 88 20:03:03 EST
   (or	Date: 31 Aug 88 11:03:03 PM EDT    	:-)	)

which seem to abound today, but I would like to see a line like

	SI-Date: 1988 09 01  03:03:03 GMT

presented in SI or ISO format, for some agreed upon time zone
(how about GMT, or Coordinated Universal Time).

There is no a-priori reason why such a line has to be seen by a reader.
(You might have the option now to suppress certain lines in the file.)
But a glossy piece of software would process such a line and tell
me what time it was here (and/or what time it was there) when my
correspondent sent the message.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (08/30/88)

In article <774@philmds.UUCP> hulsebos@philmds.UUCP (Rob Hulsebos) writes:
>Congress also decided that English would the the language of the country,
>instead of German. Those in favor of English won with the smallest possible
>margin of only _1_ vote. I wonder what the course of history would have been
>had German become the US language.

I've been sucked into irrelevancy :-) This is a popular fallacy.
Actually, the Congress has never (yet) voted about the language of the
USA. English just kind of took over. There were still large
German-speaking areas until WWII; we're talking large chunks of
*states* where public school was taught partially in German. My father
grew up in Pennsylvania-Dutch country, and can (barely) remember the
change-over.  There are still small areas that are German speaking
around here in religious communities.

	Elizabeth Zwicky (zwicky@cis.ohio-state.edu)

celms@adm.ARPA (Dr. Aivars Celmins ) (08/30/88)

In article <774@philmds.UUCP> hulsebos@philmds.UUCP (Rob Hulsebos) writes:
>Congress also decided that English would the the language of the country,
>instead of German. Those in favor of English won with the smallest possible
>margin of only _1_ vote. I wonder what the course of history would have been
>had German become the US language.
>Wouldn't life be much easier if the USA would speak German :-)
>and thus also use the metric system ? Even the word 'dollar' is derived from
>German!

Rob, you need some refreshing of your histoy lessons:

(1) USA was one of the 17 countries which signed the original Metric
    Convention in 1875. (The metric system was legalized in USA in 1866.)

(2) Metric standards are by law the basis of USA standards since 1893.

(3) There is no "official language" in the USA.  The one-vote
    majority alluded to in your message pertains to the State of
    Pennsylvania where English is indeed the official language.

Aivars Celmins

In article <2896@hubcap.UUCP> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>      To point out that when an international standard exists which
>      is clearly superior to the one currently in use...

"Clearly superior" IN WHAT WAY?  It's easier for computers to use.  Period.
I see no evidence that it is anything but inferior for human beings, which
is supposed to be the point of the exercise.
--

billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (08/31/88)

From article <189@dcs.UUCP>, by wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul):
> In article <2896@hubcap.UUCP> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>>     [...] familiarity does not imply that a system
>>     is in any sense optimal.  If that were true, there would be no
>>     point in converting to the metric system...
>
> There probably isn't, not for the little old lady shopping for groceries,
> and not in a lot of other situations. If and when we convert to the metric
> system, it won't be because it's optimal for every application, but because
> it's simpler to have just one system worldwide.

     Precisely.  When there is no need for 2 systems, one must be
     standardized upon.  Now we have a perfectly good system for
     odometers, and a standard exists for applying the same system
     to chronometers.  By virtue of simplicity, completeness, and
     consistency with similar situations, the YYYY MM DD standard
     is the obvious choice.  As for the little old lady, what she
     does is of relatively little significance.  What matters is
     that the next generation, and the ones beyond it, do not inherit
     the complex and inconsistent systems used by their ancestors.

>>> Besides, what are you trying to do to Henry?
>>
>>      To point out that when an international standard exists which
>>      is clearly superior to the one currently in use, that standard
>>      should be ADOPTED and not opposed because "we've done it this
>>      way for the last 2 zillion years, and we haven't the sense to change".
>
> "Clearly superior" depends on the situation and application. For much of human
> interaction, alpha-numeric dates are clearly superior to all-numeric dates,
> simply because human beings are not computers or calculators.

      When a single system possessing the above virtues covers all
      situations and applications, it should be adopted.  As for the
      contention that human beings are not computers of calculators,
      I submit that the form MM/DD/YY, an all-numeric form, is much
      more widely used than all the alphabetic-month-representation
      forms put together.

      Since this newsgroup is written in English, let's consider
      languages such as Hebrew, which are read from right to left,
      or Chinese, which is read from top to bottom.  To people
      whose native language is English, these forms appear unnatural;
      to those who are native speakers, nothing could be clearer.
      I submit that the standard we are discussing will be viewed
      as totally natural after adoption; if the verbal month-names
      are almost never encountered, they will come to be viewed as
      unnatural, and a waste of writing time and space.

      It is quite obvious that Esperanto is superior to English;
      but where do we see Esperanto being taught?  It is precisely
      the dysfunctional human resistance to change that prevents
      our descendants from realizing the benefits of a simple, clear,
      consistent, and universal language, and which poses the greatest
      threat to standardization.

                                      Bill Wolfe

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (08/31/88)

. I submit that the form MM/DD/YY, an all-numeric form, is much
. more widely used than all the alphabetic-month-representation
. forms put together.

I would have to disagree with this.  I never see business letters
dated `5/12/88' or such, computer dates are always `Jan 30',
postmarks use either `Aug 26' or `26 Aug', etc.  No, alphabetic
dates are definitely prevalent.

. I submit that the standard we are discussing will be viewed
. as totally natural after adoption; if the verbal month-names
. are almost never encountered, they will come to be viewed as
. unnatural, and a waste of writing time and space.

I certainly hope not!  I like the names of the months, like
the names of the days of the week.  When a strictly numeric
date format is adopted, the world will be lesser for it.

When I ask the computer for the date and time, I prefer

12:05 on Wednesday, 12 March 1943

infinitely over

W 19430312.12:05

or any such.  Much easier to read.

. It is quite obvious that Esperanto is superior to English;

Obvious to whom, and for what purpose?  Esperanto, in my
opinion, is ugly.  I like English, for all of its
inconsistencies.  Writing English is an art.  Shakespeare
is beautiful; a translation of Shakespeare to Esperanto
or even modern english loses so much of its nature.

It is precisely the rich nature of English that is lacking
in Esperanto that allows such rich and subtle thoughts to
be easily and concisely expressed.  English words have a
long history of usage from which they have derived their
connotations if not their total meanings; the last thing
we need is a prescriptive language, totally lacking in a
history or culture.

I am disheartened enough by the disappearence of the
subjunctive in modern English.  Don't even think about
teaching Esperanto to my kids.

-tom

drm@tcom.stc.co.uk (David Monksfield) (08/31/88)

In article <2882@hubcap.UUCP> billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>> I also question the human engineering of forms that put the year first.
>> It is consistent, and in some sense elegant, but it is poorly adapted to
>> human needs.  The most important information should be first.  For most
>> uses of dates, that is the day number, followed by the month.

I think the point here is that people do not necessarily read things
one character at a time, from left to right.  Familiar chunks (ie. most
single words and some phrases) are pattern-matched all at once.

Providing a lump of text matches your internal "date" template, the
brain is then quite capable of looking at whichever part happens to
be most important at the time.  If you want 'day of the month', you'll
look at whichever place in the date you expect it to be.

Thus from a 'human engineering' point of view, it matters little what
order things are in.  The only problem is in establishing familiarity
with a particular format in the first place.  I would like to be able
to see a 'familiar' date format anywhere in the world, no matter how
obscure that format may be.

P.S.  Typing "date" on this computer gives "Wed Aug 31 08:35:45 WET 1988"
      How's that for meaningful format and logical ordering?

--

Cheers,                       |||||||| ||||||||| ||||||||      "I would prefer
                              |||         |||    |||           something a
   Dave Monksfield            ||||||||    |||    |||           little more
drm@htc2,val3,lynx or         ||||||||    |||    ||||||||      hope." -- Avon
drm@jura.tcom.stc.co.uk         STC  Telecommunications        (Blake's 7)

gregg1@pyuxe.UUCP (victor scott gregg) (09/01/88)

In article <622@uwovax.uwo.ca>, miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) writes:

> The international standard for the representation of dates in all numeric form
> is ISO 2014.  As far as I am aware, the University of Western Ontario has
> officially adopted this format for the all numeric representation of dates.
>
>                         Greg Miller

Not wanting to further the debate on representation of dates,
I cautiously ask the following questions:

What ISO standard exists for representation of time?
Could some one please summarize the standard?

The question is asked regarding the use of an
international standard for time-stamping transactions.

Thanks in advance
Victor S. Gregg, Bellcore, (201)699-4596,
444 Hoes Lane (1C-206), Piscataway, NJ 08854
gregg@ctt.bellcore.com uunet!bellcore!ctt!gregg
Disclaimer: My employers probably know the answer, but they won't tell me.

pdc@otter.hple.hp.com (Damian Cugley) (09/01/88)

From rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU Tue Aug 30 20:12:38 1988
				Tuesday 30 Aug 1988

Tom Rokicki:					rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU
(replying to Bill Wolfe)
> . It is quite obvious that Esperanto is superior to English;
>
> Obvious to whom, and for what purpose?  Esperanto, in my opinion, is
> ugly.

Esperanto isn't intended to be `superior' to (or to `surplant') any native
language.  It is merely intended to be a useful *second* language for all
people, to allow international communications unencumbered by interpreters,
and the appreciation of works of art from all cultures.

I'll certainly agree the orthography is a bit on the icky side.  The
accents are the biggest impediment to Esperanto's progress.  Why, oh why,
couldn't Zamenhoff [?sp] have had the wit to use just letters without fancy
diacritical marks?!?!

On the other hand Esperanto was designed to be pleasant on the ear (Z based
the pronounciation rules on Italian).  The grammar has some elegance in its
consistency and simplicity, although the assymetry of the `-in-' infix is a
stupid ugly bug which should have been rectified years ago.

It's a bit like C: simple and elegant in some ways but suffering from a bad
choice of symbols/notation.  (Good thing Z didn't use Cyrillic.)

> I like English, for all of its inconsistencies.  Writing English is an
> art.  Shakespeare is beautiful; a translation of Shakespeare to Esperanto
> or even modern english loses so much of its nature.

According to those who are experienced in these things, Esperanto
translations are usually far superior to translations into other languages.
Esperanto's relative flexibility allows a closer `match' than trying to
bend the concepts in Shakespeare to match those in another target language.

An Esperanto translation is accessible to any Esperantist, regardless of
nationality.

> It is precisely the rich nature of English that is lacking in Esperanto
> that allows such rich and subtle thoughts to be easily and concisely
> expressed.

I will certainly concede Esperanto's tendency towards literal meanings can
cause loss of some very subtlte distinctions.  E.g. `damp' and `moist' both
translate to `malseketa'; `beautiful' and `handsome' both become `bela'.

Esperanto often expresses concepts concisely that require complicated
English phrases - random example: `IMHO' translates to `lau^ mi'.

>                                   English words have a long history of
> usage from which they have derived their connotations if not their total
> meanings; the last thing we need is a prescriptive language, totally
> lacking in a history or culture.

Esperanto does have *some* history, you know, and a lot of culture: both in
translations from around the world and original works.  Esperanto's Acadamy
is probaly less `prescriptive' than the Acadamie Francaise; like ANSI C, it
`codifies existing usage' rather than imposing new ideas.

Like C, the speaker can either voluntarily stick to the standard or risk
being `nonportable'.

The problem with `connotations' is that you can only choose from the set of
`Rich And Subtle Thoughts' which happen to exist in the available words.
From time to time the connotations change, invalidating the old sentences
(which is why Shakespeare's works have to have footnotes explaining the
connotations of words like `nice' and `annoy' in the 16th century).

Moreover, to express *new* RASTs requires complicated sentences to get
around the connotations of the English words.  This is often a problem for
scientists and mathematicians, who confuse people by carlessly tossing
around phrases like `uncountably many' or `almost everywhere' and the like.

Esperanto in the main encourages writers to make certain they are saying
exactly what they mean.  I often get caught out in English when someone
else has different connotations attached to a word than I do; this should
be less of a problem in Esperanto.  Esperantists often happily occupy
themselves for hours debating the exact meaning of phrases like `raison
d'etre', which is a good way to expand one's (English) vocabulary.

> I am disheartened enough by the disappearence of the subjunctive in
> modern English.  Don't even think about teaching Esperanto to my kids.

If `subjunctive' means what I think it does, Esperanto has one (sorry, but
I *do* tend to think of `-o words' and `the -us form of a verb' more easily
than the correct names when it comes to Esperanto 8-) ).

Learning Esperanto is not mutually exclusive to learning English; in fact
learning Esperanto at an early-ish age might make it easier to assimilate
formal English grammar later.

Bill Wolfe:					billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu
>     but where do we see Esperanto being taught?

Brazil, Japan, China, Russia, many European countries, ...

I don't want to start up a flame war on Esperanto (especially in
comp.std.internet...), just mention that it does have a few points in its
favour ...

On the other hand, if you apply Mr Wolfe's criterion for dates to language,
you wouldn't end up with Esperanto but instead something like FORTH or LISP
with all the words replaced by numbers ...  8-(  :^)

pdc
--
/-------------------\/-------------------------\/------------------------\
| Damian Cugley	=@= || pdc@hplb.lb.hp.co.uk    || ...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!pdc |

billp@infmx.UUCP (Bill Potter) (09/01/88)

In article <16995@adm.ARPA>, celms@adm.ARPA (Dr. Aivars Celmins ) writes:
> In article <774@philmds.UUCP> hulsebos@philmds.UUCP (Rob Hulsebos) writes:
> >Congress also decided that English would the the language of the country,
> >instead of German. Those in favor of English won with the smallest possible
> >margin of only _1_ vote. I wonder what the course of history would have been
> >had German become the US language.
> >
> Rob, you need some refreshing of your histoy lessons:

Aivars, Don't you think the above comment is a bit arrogant, or
how many Americans could tell us exact details about Dutch history in
1785. That Rob rembered the essence of his history lessons (how many years
ago was it Rob?) and got the precise details wrong can, I think, be overlooked.

I find it also intriguing to speculate on "what would have happened if ..."
the US was a German speaking country. With today being Sept. 1 one
question comes to mind.  On whose side would they have been in both
World Wars?

billp
--
bill potter                         ...!uunet!infmx!infmuc!billp
informix gmbh, rosenkavalierplatz 14, 8000 Munich 81

hermann@crin.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) (09/03/88)

In article <324@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <107@taux02.UUCP> amos@taux02.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
>>For scientific  purposes, time is  already presented in the  Julian date
>>system (e.g., the  time now is 2447402.78570 days). It  would be nice if
>>everybody used this system. Coming to  think of it, everybody should use
>>the binary system - it would be so much easier to program! :-)
>
>Continuing in the same spirit of humour:  the Imperial system of liquid
>measures *was* binary!

Even a better suggestion would be to use the French revolutionary
calendar. Does someone know which days is the 3rd "brumaire" of the
year 199?

Miki HERMANN
Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy
e-mail:  hermann@crin.crin.fr
post:    CRIN, B.P. 239, F-54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex, FRANCE
phone:   +33  83.91.20.00 ext(poste) 30.59

In article <3690001@otter.hple.hp.com>, pdc@otter.hple.hp.com (Damian Cugley) writes:
> Esperanto often expresses concepts concisely that require complicated
> English phrases - random example: `IMHO' translates to `lau^ mi'.

And in English it translates to 'I think'.

And look, no diacriticals!

How does Esperanto compare to other universal languages (loglan?)? That's
a better comparison.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net

alan@stl.stc.co.uk (Alan Spreadbury) (09/09/88)

In article <596@crin.crin.fr> hermann@crin.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) writes:

>Even a better suggestion would be to use the French revolutionary
>calendar. Does someone know which days is the 3rd "brumaire" of the
>year 199?

25 October 1990 (I wonder if Ken Perlow agrees.)

--

Alan Spreadbury  (alan@stl  ...!mcvax!ukc!stl!alan  +44-279-29531 x 3700)

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (09/12/88)

In article <816@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> alan@acer.UUCP (Alan Spreadbury) writes:
 > In article <596@crin.crin.fr> hermann@crin.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) writes:
 > >
 > >Even a better suggestion would be to use the French revolutionary
 > >calendar. Does someone know which days is the 3rd "brumaire" of the
 > >year 199?
 > >
 > 25 October 1990 (I wonder if Ken Perlow agrees.)

Strange, all ten fall on the same day :-).
Anyhow, unless you know the algorithm by which the french intended to insert
leap years, it is most likely incorrect.  No, it is not similar to our
calendar.  Although the calendar has been precalculated for 102
years, and there appears to be a pattern, it is not clear enough to tell
how it would fare in the future.  (The pattern gives 8 leapyears in 33 years
or 31 in 128 years, with a leapyear after 3 of 4 normal years.)
INTERNET   : dik@cwi.nl
BITNET/EARN: dik@mcvax

dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) (09/13/88)

I just had to throw my two bits into the discussion of languages.
I don't really know enough about Esperanto to judge its relative merits,
but it seems that people who favor it have forgot an essential element.
All people seem to favor their own ethnic culture which also has an
associated language.  If you doubt it, try getting the Quebecois to
speak English!  They maintain, as many French do that the French is the
language of the Gods (or something similar to that).  The United States
has a similar problem in that immigrants from Latin speaking countries
from the south refuse (okay, only some of them) to learn English (the
American dialect).  Why?  Because they have established patterns of
thought that are only expressable in Espanol (sorry about the missing
tilde).  And even if Esperanto is adopted, what is to prevent it from
changing?  A language is a living thing, something that changes as the
people who use it also change.  Oops, forgot those French who think that
their language is somehow a language of the Gods.  I must confess that
I am puzzled why they believe that so strongly, even to the point of
appointing a committee whose only task is to root out the horrible
English phrases that are corrupting their language.  Never mind the fact
that French is just a corruption of the Latin tongue with the Germanic
language of the region, even to the point that the French spoken on the
border of Spain is a significantly different dialect from what is spoken
on the border of Belgium.  Need I say more on the tendency of a language
to change?  Actually, television, radio, and other means of national and
international communication mediums are having a stronger stabilizing
force than the French national committee on language.

But back to Esperanto, I really don't feel that it is a language worth
studying.  It is kind of like Latin, a dead language since it isn't used
much.  Personally, I feel Americans would benefit far more from studying
Espanol or another language that is in ACTUAL USE somewhere in the
world.  People in Europe must also realize that unlike them, Americans
really are isolated from day-to-day contact with people who speak other
languages.  The only exception would be our neighbors to the south.  You
could count the French speaking Canadians, but learning their dialect
would be of little help in France.  It really is that different!  Even
here, many Spanish speakers use the old Castillian dialect which has just
as about as much chance of being understood in Spain as our English!
Enough said.  Nes't Pas? (sp?)

dharvey@wsccs

bas+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce Sherwood) (09/15/88)

> I will certainly concede Esperanto's tendency towards literal meanings can
> cause loss of some very subtle distinctions.  E.g. `damp' and `moist' both
> translate to `malseketa'; `beautiful' and `handsome' both become `bela'.

Actually, damp would typically be translated as humida, and moist as malseketa.
 Similarly, a better translation of handsome is probably bonaspekta or possibly
belaspekta.  There is plenty of nuance available in Esperanto.

When I first lived in Italy I thought Italian was an impoverished language
because there were lots of things I could say in English that I couldn't say in
Italian.  Guess where the real fault turned out to lie....

On the cultural issues, I agree completely.  The cultural value of learning
Esperanto is very high.  I posted a longer note on this topic to
ext.in.esperanto.

Bruce Sherwood

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (09/16/88)

In article <645@wsccs.UUCP> dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) writes:

>I just had to throw my two bits into the discussion of languages.
>I don't really know enough about Esperanto to judge its relative merits,
>but it seems that people who favor it have forgot an essential element.
>All people seem to favor their own ethnic culture which also has an
>associated language.

So what?  To quote "Teach Yourself Esperanto":
	Esperanto is the _auxiliary_ language invented by ... Zamenhof.  ...
	It is in no way opposed to the national languages; on the contrary,
	it creates in those who learn it an interest in the whole matter,
	and this very often leads to their learning one or more of the
	national languages.

It is precisely because there are such strong feelings attached to existing
national languages that Zamenhof proposed an invented one: there would be
no strong feelings against it.

>Enough said.  Nes't Pas? (sp?)

That's "N'est-ce pas?"  "Esperanto ... often leads to .. learning ...".

gordan@maccs.McMaster.CA (gordan) (09/18/88)

In article <645@wsccs.UUCP> dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) writes:
-
-You
-could count the French speaking Canadians, but learning their dialect
-would be of little help in France.  It really is that different!

This is like saying that knowing North American English would be of
little help in Britain.  A bit of an exaggeration.

Time to change the subject line, folks.  And maybe the newsgroup, while
yer at it.