[comp.std.internat] Programming and international character sets.

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (11/02/88)

In article <7690@boring.cwi.nl> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
[about variants of ISO 8859]

I know about ISO 8859/1 because someone gave me a copy, and about
8859/5 because someone posted a draft on comp.std.internat (though
I managed to lose that in a disc scavenge).

How would someone in the USA go about getting a copy of each of these
standards and draft standards?

In article <207@jhereg.Jhereg.MN.ORG> mark@jhereg (Mark Colburn) writes:
>One problem is that, althougth the [C] standard supports multi-byte
>characters ..., no support is provided [for using them with <ctype.h>].
>Here are some suggestions:
>	int     wcislower(char *string)
>	char   *wctolower(char *string)

It's not necessary to pass/return pointers; there is an arithmetic type
"wchar_t" in ANSI C.  Thus it would be simpler to define these as follows:
	int     wcislower(wchar_t wc);
	wchar_t wctolower(wchar_t wc);

Followups to comp.std.{internat,c}.

andrea@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (11/08/88)

In article <615@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <7690@boring.cwi.nl> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
>[about variants of ISO 8859]
>
>I know about ISO 8859/1 because someone gave me a copy, and about
>8859/5 because someone posted a draft on comp.std.internat (though
>I managed to lose that in a disc scavenge).
>
>How would someone in the USA go about getting a copy of each of these
>standards and draft standards?

Official approved access route:

	ANSI
	1430 Broadway
	NY, NY 10018

	sales:  212-642-4900

ANSI sells both American National Standards and the ISO standards in
this country.  They maintain a document listing ISO standards which have
made it to DIS stage as well.  You can also subscribe to their newsletter,
"Standards Action", which lets you know when various standards have hit
public review milestones (and where you can get a copy).

Another way to stay informed is to become an observer on the ANSI committee
which is either working on the US version of the standard in question
and/or formulating the US position contributing to the ISO standard.  ANSI
can also give you the master list of ANSI committees and their contact persons.

Good luck!

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
                "...I brought you a paddle for your favorite canoe."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA