[comp.std.internat] Japanese character code standard

ct@dde.uucp (Claus Tondering) (01/04/89)

I need the computer standard for coding Japanese
characters, both Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana.

I have a number of references:
	JIS X0208
	JIS C6226
	JIS C6220
but I am not sure what they cover. Which of these standards should
I order?

And while I am at it: What about standards for coding Chinese
characters?
--
Claus Tondering
Dansk Data Elektronik A/S, Herlev, Denmark

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (01/15/89)

In article <504@Aragorn.dde.uucp> ct@dde.uucp (Claus Tondering) writes:
>I need the computer standard for coding Japanese
>characters, both Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana.
[...]

Try writing to ECMA, the Registration Authority for ISO 2375,
(ECMA = European Computer Manufacturers Association),

	ECMA
	Rue du Rhone 114
	CH-1204 Geneva, Switzerland.

and ask for the
	"International Registry of Coded Character Sets
	to be used with Escape Sequences"

This contains, among other things,
the Japanese registration including
Hiragana and Katakana and about 6000 Kanji,

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET