[comp.std.internat] Composing characters

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (02/01/89)

Sandra Martin (sandi@apollo.COM) writes:
>I can provide the Latin-1 compose sequences if anyone wants them.
>We use DEC's defacto standard for these sequences.

I didn't DEC had a de facto standard for Latin-1. I didn't
even knew they were supporting Latin-1. In the VMS environment
at least all they have is DEC Multinational Character Set,
which in many parts is the same as Latin-1, but with some
differences. DEC's set is not full, some code are left undefined.
And some code have different meaning. For instance DEC has the
OE ligature where Latin-1 has the multiplication sign. The
difference are due to that DEC fixed their set before Latin-1
was settled, so they based their set on a draft.

As for the compose codes I'm not really fond all of of them.
I very often type Compose-3-3 instead of Compose-a-a to get
an at sign, since the "3" has this sign on it. But in 8-bit
mode I get a section sign instead. And I wish Compose-8-8 had been
allowed as an alternative for Compose-(-( to get a left
bracket. (And same for right bracket (shift 9) and back slash
(shift 7)) And how to get braces and a vertical bar I still
haven't found out....
--
Erland Sommarskog
ENEA Data, Stockholm              This signature is not to be quoted.