[comp.std.internat] copyright

In article <1938@pbhyg.PacBell.COM> balavi@PacBell.COM (Behzad Alavi) writes:
>           Copyrights seem to limit the scope of distribution
>           and usage, which are apparently not what International
>           Standards were designed to do.

Copyrights don't have to do anything of the sort; the issue is not whether
the stuff is copyrighted, but what restrictions the copyright holder places
on redistribution etc.

In practice, ISO seems to be exactly like all the other standards outfits:
the revenue from sales of high-priced documents is significant and they're
not prepared to give it up.  ISO does not have magic sources of funding
that eliminate all financial worries.
--
SVR4:  every feature you ever |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
wanted, and plenty you didn't.| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

news@haddock.ima.isc.com (overhead) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb9.192505.26290@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In practice, ISO seems to be exactly like all the other standards outfits:
>the revenue from sales of high-priced documents is significant and they're
>not prepared to give it up.  ISO does not have magic sources of funding
>that eliminate all financial worries.
This seems to be rather circular reasoning. i.e. ISO exists to produce
expensive documents to pay for its existence.  If there is some need
for ISO beyond that perceived by ISO itself, the market place will pay
for it.  GM for a while saw a need for the ISO based MAP protocols,
and invested in their definition and implementation.

It appears to be much easier for a government, or corporation to
specify the ISO protocols when they don't have to pay for their
development, and easier to back away from an implementation that is
too slow or cumbersome when little money is invested up front.  What
I'm trying to say here is that the people who want ISO implementations
(end users) should pay for the standards developments, not the
potential implementers.  If funding cannot be found for this, it would
imply to me that the ISO standards effort has no value.

Jim

hrs1@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (herman.r.silbiger) (02/13/90)

In article <15930@haddock.ima.isc.com>, news@haddock.ima.isc.com (overhead) writes:
> too slow or cumbersome when little money is invested up front.  What
> I'm trying to say here is that the people who want ISO implementations
> (end users) should pay for the standards developments, not the
> potential implementers.  If funding cannot be found for this, it would
> imply to me that the ISO standards effort has no value.
>
> Jim

People that want the standards do pay for that development.  All attendants
at a standards meeting were sent by their companies.   Users as well as developers participate.  The cost to the users is also reflected in the cost of the
product.  Not only does it cost the participants time,
but also travel and living expenses. Just add up the cost of
40 engineers for a week, round trip travel, often abroad, hotel rooms and
meals, etc.

The results are available to everybody.  The only cost to non participants
is paying the administartion, publication and distribution costs.  Or perhaps
you feel that, since it did not cost anything to develop the standard,
you should also not have to pay for the document, and they should not
be copyrighted.

Herman Silbiger

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (02/13/90)

= (Henry Spencer) writes:

== In practice, ISO seems to be exactly like all the other standards
== outfits: the revenue from sales of high-priced documents is
== significant and they're not prepared to give it up.  ISO does not
== have magic sources of funding that eliminate all financial worries.

In part.  Most of the workers on ISO WG's are funded by their
employers; a very few are personally funded.  On the presumption that
ISO includes office staff, and on the assurity that it distributes
expensive paper documents, those costs must be somehow covered.  My
experience is with ANSI, but I expect the same history applies to ISO.
The ANSI X3 headquarters personnel costs used to be covered by CBEMA,
a business computer consortium.  When the size of X3 led to costs more
than CBEMA was willing to cover, methods such as high copy fees for
working documents and "voluntary" contributions for committee
participation were incorporated.

For those of us on the various nets, with our long history of ftp and
uucp mail accessable archives, funded by organizations willing to
provide the disk space and telecomm lines, and managed by volunteers
who stand among the true unsung heros of the human race, it seems
incomprehensible that _paper_ copies of anything might be needed for
distributing information.  However, in truth, many (most) standards
have nothing to do with computers, and are not used by computer
sophisticated organizational entities, so paper/microfiche/other
hardcopy is a mandate.  Given that they must provide paper standards,
and must sell them to recover costs, the standards organizations have
found that making a profit on the paper copies can solve their funding
problems for permanent staff.

Once having been seduced into this method of self-funding, now free
(electronic) distribution of the standards information directly
threatens the financial integrity of the standards body.  Since the
standards groups are non-profit, and probably financially marginal on
their best fiscal years, this leads to strong rejection of electronic
distribution of copyrighted standards "for free".  Even I, who have
been denied participation in three standards efforts where I am
competent to give expert criticism by poverty vis-a-vis the cost of
paper standards draft documents, have to sympathise with the
difficulty electronic distribution poses to the standards bodies.

= This seems to be rather circular reasoning. i.e. ISO exists to
= produce expensive documents to pay for its existence.  If there is
= some need for ISO beyond that perceived by ISO itself, the market
= place will pay for it.  GM for a while saw a need for the ISO based
= MAP protocols, and invested in their definition and implementation.

The usual participants in standards activities are from four areas:
potential implementers of the standard, very large customers who will
benefit from the existance of the standard applied to a product,
government agencies whose charter covers the same area as the
standard, and academics whose discipline includes the area of the
standard.  There are no direct participants (that I have seen, of
course) whose reason for participation is that they are from among the
"common man" whose money eventually drives all markets.  The reasons
are many, but the best characterization is probably that high cost of
participation must be justified by high benefit of participation.

= It appears to be much easier for a government, or corporation to
= specify the ISO protocols when they don't have to pay for their
= development,

Actually, it is usually those who participate who are first to
benefit, and most adamant about participation.  It helps to have early
access to the draft documents, and it is usually policy of any
organization funding participation that they will recover costs by
using the standard.

= and easier to back away from an implementation that is too slow or
= cumbersome when little money is invested up front.

Oops!  Please differentiate in thinking about this subject between
standards (ideals) and implementations (reality).  The quality of an
implementation does not necessarily have (but may have) any
relationship to the quality or cost of a standard.

= What I'm trying to say here is that the people who want ISO
= implementations (end users) should pay for the standards
= developments, not the potential implementers.

The "market place" does not provide an easy method to recover these
costs from the end beneficiaries of standards, in major parts because
the beneficiaries of a standard are very hard to identify, and because
the benefits of a standard are extremely hard to quantify, and not
often self-evident to the end user.  A particularly clear example is
screw thread standards.  Unless I buy a product made in another
country with different standards, I may never in a lifetime become
aware that a screw thread standard exists or is needed.  Thus I would
probably resist a surcharge on each screw I buy to pay for standards
body activity, and I would surely challenge your evaluation of the
amount I should pay.  Still, each new screw manufacturer needs to be
able to buy the standards document, and so the documents' maintenance
needs funding.

= If funding cannot be found for this, it would imply to me that the
= ISO standards effort has no value.

Well, the creations of standards _are_ funded, and the level of
participation implies that they are funded with some enthusiasm.  What
are not funded are free copies of the resulting standards information.
It is a bit of a shame in this era of comp.sources.* and data piracy
that the free lunch has come to seem an entitlement to the computer
community.

I do believe that the current pricing of standards _draft_ documents
actively precludes or lessens expert commentary, probably to the
detriment of the standards creation process.  But it is exactly those
who chose to pay the existing (high) prices for paper standards who
are the true "market place" for the standard, and this is probably as
appropriate a way to recover standards maintenance costs as any other.
I think this is an improvement over expecting the standards bodies to
exist on corporate and government "charity", money which eventually is
recovered by product prices and taxes from you and I, anyway.

--
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us (Kent Paul Dolan)
xanthian@ads.com - expiring soon; please use Well address for replies.
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts proven fragile.
-> METAFONT, TeX, graphics programming done on spec -- (415) 964-4486 <-

webber@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (02/13/90)

Actually the copyright issue for international standards should not be
seen as one of people looking for a free lunch versus people looking
to earn a living.  It should instead be seen as a matter of technical
people wanting adequate documentation when they buy a standard-
compliant object.  Here I sit on a workstation that claims to
implement IEEE floating point arithmetic, Fortran77, will doubless
soon have ANSI-C, runs Common Lisp, is probably POSIX-comformant, and
comes with CORE and CGI implementations (as well as add on GKS and
PHIGS options).  There was a time when I could sit down to a UNIX box
and read K&R on line as well spec/source for the rest of UNIX (except
for dec's PDP-11 manuals, alas, which were only available in
hardcopy).  Now, with nearly 8 meg of man pages, I find myself quite
often feeling like I had just gotten a Mac with a user's guide and a
$100 of hardcopy heavily thumbed documentation off in someone's office
down the hall (I hear they FINALLY are getting most of that online via
hypercard).

Would you accept a UNIX system without man pages?  Then why a IEEE
floating point processor, an ANSI C compiler, Common Lisp, an F77
compiler, a POSIX system, CORE, CGI, GKS, or PHIGS, without usable
online documentation to grep and search?  Do you expect it to be free?
Of course not, but you do expect it to be a relatively minor portion
of the system cost.  Indeed, if the standards committees mandated
user-level availability of their copyrighted documentation in order to
be compliant and asked for a small fee for use of same to be collected
by the vendor, wouldn't it work out even better than now when most
people go to a library to look up a standard (or more likely just do
what seems to work and hope they are ok) rather than go through the
hassle of getting a personal copy?

If someone brought out a computer system that documented online every
aspect of itself, I wonder how many new de facto standards would
suddenly sweep the landscape.  How much is the growth of UNIX due to
its original distribution in this manner?

--- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

In article <15930@haddock.ima.isc.com> jimm@ima.ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) writes:
>>In practice, ISO seems to be exactly like all the other standards outfits:
>>the revenue from sales of high-priced documents is significant and they're
>>not prepared to give it up.  ISO does not have magic sources of funding...
>This seems to be rather circular reasoning. i.e. ISO exists to produce
>expensive documents to pay for its existence...

No more so than saying that DEC exists to build computers which pay for
its existence.  There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.  If standards
are to exist, somebody has to develop them, and the development will cost
money, which has to be paid by *someone*.  Someone specific and easily
identifiable, who is willing to pay for it -- just "the marketplace"
won't do, unless you explain exactly who you are talking about and
exactly how they will be asked to pay and exactly why they will do so.
The standards bodies find that people are willing to pay for copies of
standards, and that this is a good way to recover overhead costs.  What
exactly are you suggesting as an alternative?

>I'm trying to say here is that the people who want ISO implementations
>(end users) should pay for the standards developments, not the
>potential implementers...

Most of the cost of developing standards is people time, which is paid
for by interested implementors and big users.  Most of them proceed to
pass these costs on to *their* customers, and it eventually reaches the
end users.  An implementor who buys a copy of a standard will presumably
pass the cost of that on to his end users as soon as he can.  How is
this, the current situation, different from what you are proposing?
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu