[comp.std.internat] Standards and Implementation

pedersen@philmtl.philips.ca (Paul Pedersen) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb8.164921.22689@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <15894@haddock.ima.isc.com> jimm@ima.ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) writes:
>>...  If ISO really wants their protocols
>>to gain widespread acceptance they should make it easier to implement
>>them.
>
>Implement?  You think ISO cares about implementation?  Couldn't prove it
>by me, not considering some of the things they put in those protocols.
>You don't understand:  ISO protocols will gain widespread acceptance by
>being rammed down our throats by politicians, not by being enthusiastically
>accepted by implementors.  That's how ISO works.
>--

I'd like to expand on the above, given that I'm an implementor AND attend
ISO meetings.

ISO is only a forum in which to develop a standard.  In other words, its a
place where representatives from various companies and other organizations
can get together and work out a common way of doing things.

The big problem is that there are very few implementors on
the ISO committees.  I have received time and time again the answer :
"we do standards, not implementations" when I bring up an implementation
issue.

Now, if the other members of the committee were implementors, I doubt I'd
get this kind of answer.  The solution has to be for the organizations
sending representatives to ISO to send people who are interested
in the "implementability" of the standard they are working on.

Until this happens, the situation described by Mr. Spencer will remain :-(

Paul Pedersen

davecb@yunexus.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (02/22/90)

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:
| This appears to vary widely from committee to committee.
| [...]					 There are always interesting
| arguments between the academic theorists who would dearly love the world
| to conform cleanly to their models, and the pragmatists who are
| concerned with coming up with a standard that doesn't run like a dog -
| but in SC24, what generally happens is that the theorists lay the
| general conceptual framework, and the pragmatists wrangle enough
| concessions to end up with something realistic.

  Part of this dichotomy comes from the multiple meanings of "standard".
It is educational to read the standards for french wines, for instance.
They are almost completely concerned with what we tend to call "quality
of implementation" and "verification" issues (:-)).

  I prefer to refer to ISO documents as specifications rather than as
standards: they tell one what to do, and the better-written ones tell
one how to discover if one succeeded.
  Given this interpretation as a starting point, and a particular standards
document, an organization I once worked for:
	1) decomposed the standard into a conformance document
	   and a functional specification
	2a) validated the functional specification, and
	2b) developed a test plan,
	3) arrived at a design
	4) defined an initial subset, and
	5) cancelled the project (:-))

   If one tries to make a document (the standard) do more than one thing,
one often gets in trouble.  If you have a single, specific aim, you can make
rapid progress, if the task is possible at all.
   "Spirited discussion" between implementors and academics can, and has,
improved some standards substantially, but probably isn't sufficient.

    I'll put it in somewhat harsh terms:  To try to make a standard serve
multiple purposes raises some interesting completeness/correctness risks.

--dave

--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave