[comp.std.internat] source code for X/Open functions

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (08/03/90)

The X/Open corporation defines several functions that aid in the devellopment
of localised applications. Of particular interest are the catopen(), catgets(),
catclose(), strcoll() and strxfrm() functions.

Now imagine yourself going through the XPG3 manuals, reading the descriptions
of these functions, and presenting them to your manager as the solution to all
evil monolingual problems. Now imagine yourself being asked to implement these
functions in your operating system.

While you laugh yourself off the chair, let me first state that writing these
functions is not such a difficult task. But in order to achieve full
compatibility with the description in the X/Open Portability Guide, it would
be preferable to obtain the source code for these functions from the X/Open
corporation. And there's no point reinventing the wheel.

If you know what the possibility of obtaining source code from either X/Open
or another company is, please contact me.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

In article <13594@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>The X/Open corporation defines several functions that aid in the devellopment
>of localised applications. Of particular interest are the catopen(), catgets(),
>catclose(), strcoll() and strxfrm() functions.
>If you know what the possibility of obtaining source code from either X/Open
>or another company is, please contact me.
Funny you should ask.  I just finished implementing an enhanced version of
gencat, catgets, catopen and catclose (sorry, no strcoll or strxfrm), although
I may do a limited functionality version of sprintf.

These are not quite ready for release (when I say "just finished" I mean like
last night).  However I hope to release them after some testing.  It would
also be good to have them used on a site which is already using an existing
system, just to make sure I got them right.

Let me know if you're interested, I'll compile a list and try and get back
to you soon.
							-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.