[comp.std.internat] X.25/X.3 Info wanted

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (08/22/90)

I am working on some X.25 network terminal software, and would like some
details on X.3 and X.29 as they relate to setting different modes of
processing on the remote PAD.

The software is a VT-100 emulation which runs on Unisys B-2x/B-3x (BTOS/CTOS)
systems using the X.25 gateway server to access remote resources.  Anyone
interested in the end product should drop me a line. (will be available)

My reading knowledge of French is non-existent, so CCITT docs may not meet the
need.  Specifically I want to know:
	- What terminal/pad behaviors can be changed
	- What subset of same is best to provide for

Many thanks,

Jon McCown
--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your lupins or your life!"

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (08/23/90)

In article <591@eds1.UUCP> jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:

   [ Needs info on X.3, X.25, and X.29 ]

   My reading knowledge of French is non-existent, so CCITT docs may
   not meet the need.  Specifically I want to know:
	   - What terminal/pad behaviors can be changed
	   - What subset of same is best to provide for

Pardon?  (Pronounced in French, of course!)  CCITT Recommendations
("docs") are published in English, French and Spanish simultaneously.

Call your favorite telco and order Fascicle VIII.2 of the CCITT Blue
Book.  It costs something around CHF 50, convert to USD at will.  If
you're really pressed, you can order them from the United Nations
Bookstore at 1 U.N. Plaza, New York, NY, don't remember their phone
number.

This Fascicle contains all three Recommendations and is a must if you
want to deal with X.25.
--
[Erik Naggum]		Gaustadalleen 21	+47-256-7822
<erik@naggum.uu.no>	N-0371 OSLO; NORWAY	+47-260-4427 (fax)

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (08/24/90)

In article <ENAG.90Aug23055857@lyberga.ifi.uio.no> enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
>In article <591@eds1.UUCP> jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:
>
>   [ Needs info on X.3, X.25, and X.29 ]
>   My reading knowledge of French is non-existent, so CCITT docs may
>   not meet the need....
>
>Pardon?  (Pronounced in French, of course!)  CCITT Recommendations
>("docs") are published in English, French and Spanish simultaneously.

Actually, CCITT docs aren't published in any of the above languages.
They are published in three dialects of "Standardese", each of which
borrows a grammar and a lexicon from one of English, French, and Spanish.
However, a working knowledge of these languages is hardly sufficient
for reading a CCITT document  }:->

Dave

danup@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Daniel Upthegrove) (08/29/90)

In article <4990@pegasus.ATT.COM> dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:

>Actually, CCITT docs aren't published in any of the above languages.
>They are published in three dialects of "Standardese", each of which
>borrows a grammar and a lexicon from one of English, French, and Spanish.
>However, a working knowledge of these languages is hardly sufficient
>for reading a CCITT document  }:->

After having experienced all of the colored CCITT docs since 1980, I
agree completely with Dave.

However, last year I bought a small volume, "Painless Packet Switching",
by Bo Lindgren, [INFOTRANS AB], which, although a tranlation from Swedish,
concisely summarizes the relevant standards in an easy to understand
format.  It's an expensive little book, but then, most technical materials
are.  I found it worth the investment, and have actually used it in the
specification and evaluation of X.25 PAD products.

Daniel Upthegrove                danup@runxtsa.runx.oz.au
a.k.a. "Grover"                  Sydney Australia
Computer & Communications Consultant

karl@MorningStar.Com (Karl Fox) (08/31/90)

You can also order them from:

    Omnicom
    115 Park St., S.E.
    Vienna, VA  22180  USA
    +1 (703) 281-1135

That's where I get mine, 'cause I can use my company AMEX card and have
them in a couple of days.

P.S.  Has anyone else noticed that the 1988 X.25 is riddled with errors, at
least as compared with prior years?
--
Karl Fox, Morning Star Technologies               karl@MorningStar.COM