[comp.std.internat] Character sets: ISO 6937 vs ISO 8859

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/08/90)

[ n.b. followups redirected for this question ]
philip@beeblebrox.dle.dg.com (Philip Gladstone) writes:

> Standard character sets are a true minefield. The scoop is (I think as
> follows):

[ useful informative table deleted ]

Can anyone tell me if the line drawing characters are standardised in any
ISO standard?  I mean the kinds of characters you use for drawing boxes on
terminals, e.g. like the ones that really annoy you when your VT100 has
received some line noise :-)

Email would be appreciated.  If the info is forthcoming, I will summarise
(to std.internat).

Thank you.
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov7.193956.15068@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk
(Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if the line drawing characters are standardised in any
>ISO standard?

I don't know if it is aligned with a corresponding ISO standard, but
CCITT Recommendation T.101 defines several registered character
repertoires which contain line drawing and mosaic characters (notably,
ther Data Syntax I, II, and III character sets).  The documents that
describe these are:

	CCITT Recommendation T.101
	CCITT Recommendation T.101	Annex B		Data Syntax I
	CCITT Recommendation T.101	Annex C		Data Syntax II
	CCITT Recommendation T.101	Annex D		Data Syntax III

CCITT Rec. T.51 Annex B has a table of the ISO registered character
set selectors for the character sets used by T.101 (and some others).

T.101 was aimed at applications such as Videotex, and so it uses a much
richer set of figure-drawing characters and primitives than something
like the VT100.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda