[comp.std.internat] Kanji on PC's

lupienj@hpwadac.hp.com (John Lupien) (01/22/91)

Sorry to bring up a subject which has probably been covered many times.
Is there a standard for Japanese (Kanji) charater codes?

More importantly, though, is there any good software for doing Kanji
display and/or editing (w.p. stuff) that runs on a PC compatible? If there
are some good articles for me to look at, I would certainly appreciate
a reference.

Thanks very much.

---
John R. Lupien
lupienj@hpwarq.hp.com

erik@srava.sra.co.jp (Erik M. van der Poel) (01/22/91)

In article <1605@hpwala.wal.hp.com> lupienj@hpwarq.hp.com writes:
> Is there a standard for Japanese (Kanji) charater codes?

Yes, there are several. The most notable ones are JIS, Shift-JIS and
EUC. The most widely used Kanji code on MS-DOS is Shift-JIS, which is
also known as mskanji (note the "ms").

> More importantly, though, is there any good software for doing Kanji
> display and/or editing (w.p. stuff) that runs on a PC compatible?

I believe several articles have been posted to sci.lang.japan about
Kanji on MS-DOS. Perhaps you should try posting your questions there.
-
--
Erik M. van der Poel                                      erik@sra.co.jp
Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan     TEL +81-3-3234-2692

thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) (01/22/91)

In article <4938@srava.sra.co.jp> erik@srava.sra.co.jp (Erik M. van der Poel) writes:
>In article <1605@hpwala.wal.hp.com> lupienj@hpwarq.hp.com writes:
>> Is there a standard for Japanese (Kanji) charater codes?
>
>Yes, there are several. The most notable ones are JIS, Shift-JIS and
>EUC. The most widely used Kanji code on MS-DOS is Shift-JIS, which is
>also known as mskanji (note the "ms").

I might point out that the three codes mentioned are actually different
formats of the same encoding, and so it is not very difficult to convert
between them.

--
		    Brian Thomson,	    CSRI Univ. of Toronto
		    utcsri!uthub!thomson, thomson@hub.toronto.edu

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/24/91)

lupienj@hpwadac.hp.com (John Lupien) writes:
>More importantly, though, is there any good software for doing Kanji
>display and/or editing (w.p. stuff) that runs on a PC compatible?

i don't know if it's good, since i'm not japanese, i never
tried it, it just occupies disk space, BUT i have it :-)

you can get it with anonymous uucp from me (see my .sig), as
/src/dos-scheiss/kd100src.arc, written in C, 255KB. please
don't ask me to mail it, i have to pay for mail by the KB.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: