[comp.std.internat] Unix Today subscriptions

williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Williams) (03/26/91)

As others have noted, UNIX today is hard to get.  I have been filling
out their worthless free subscription cards for something like two years
and still can't get on their list.  I have much less to do with PC's but
managed to get PC Week!  Maybe I should start lying about how many UNIX
systems I run...

Jim

Spoken: Jim Williams             Domain: williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Phone: +1 301 286-1131           UUCP:   uunet!mimsy!williams
USPS: NASA/GSFC, Code 633, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Motto: There is no 'd' in "kluge"!  It rhymes with "huge", not "sludge".

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (03/26/91)

In article <4601@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> williams@nssdcs.UUCP (Jim Williams) writes:
>As others have noted, UNIX today is hard to get.  I have been filling
>out their worthless free subscription cards for something like two years
>and still can't get on their list.  I have much less to do with PC's but
>managed to get PC Week!  Maybe I should start lying about how many UNIX
>systems I run...

I have been receiving Unix Today for about a month, now.  Some time after I
sent in my application, they called my place of business to confirm my
employment and my position and rank in the company.  They apparently have very
strict rules about the minimum computer systems purchasing influence that one
must have at one's place of business to qualify for a free subscription.

told them that I would pay.

I manage both the Washington ULTRIX Resource Center and Image Resource
Center.  The only person in my group that gets UT is a guy in the
Image group...

I have stopped trying.  If they want me to see their mag, they can
find me :-)

Fred

btrue@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Barry.True) (03/27/91)

I've been receiving UNIX Today for over a year now. While I don't remember
having to lie about the number of UNIX systems we have here I do remember
that it took only about two months for me to begin receiving the issues. Of
course, working for a company that deals heavily in UNIX systems may have
influenced their decision. :)

ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.065602.10244@digi.lonestar.org> kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes:
>In article <4601@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> williams@nssdcs.UUCP (Jim Williams) writes:
>>As others have noted, UNIX today is hard to get.  I have been filling
>>out their worthless free subscription cards for something like two years
>>and still can't get on their list.  I have much less to do with PC's but
>>managed to get PC Week!  Maybe I should start lying about how many UNIX
>>systems I run...

Gee, I only run two systems, and can't remember even filling out any card;
but I get the silly rag...

But I've just ordered four more systems, with 54 more UNIX boxen purchases
in the planning stage.

The magazine is *no*big*deal*, although it is nice to get a trade publication
that is UNIX-literate (if not NetNews literate. :-)

ben@gwdokokl.UUCP

feigin@inf.ethz.ch (Adam W. Feigin) (03/27/91)

I dunno. When I was in the states, I filled out one of their
subscription cards, and they started sending it to me. I have no idea
if they actually checked on my status at the place I was working at
the time....

But, dont worry. Its really a rag. I usually didn't read it anyway,
but it made a good tablecloth for eating my greasy chinese food lunch
on so I didn't have to worry about getting my desk dirty.

As usual, my opinions only.

							/AWF
Internet: feigin@inf.ethz.ch				 Adam W. Feigin
UUCP:{backbones}!ethz!feigin 			Manager, Computing Facilities
Mail: Dept. Informatik				Department of Computer Science
      ETH-Zentrum			  Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
      CH-8092 Zurich				       Zurich, Switzerland
      Switzerland
Phone: +41 1 254 7205

		"He who knows, speaks not; he who speaks, knows not"