[comp.std.internat] IA5 International Reference Version

Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) (03/31/91)

In article <PHILIP.91Mar5120556@beeblebrox.dle.dg.com> philip@beeblebrox.dle.dg.com (Philip Gladstone) writes:
>I heard a rumour that the International Reference Version of
>International Alphabet number 5 was going to be changed to align with
>ISO 8859. Can anybody provide me with chapter and verse on this one?

It would be nice if IA5 was the same as ISO 8859-1.

What is in IA5 today? Which characters in IA5 makes it claim to be an
international alphabet?
What standard organization has defined IA5? Not ISO I assume.

    Dan

--
Dan Oscarsson                              Department of Computer Science
                                           Lund Institute of Technology

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar31.092157.20297@lth.se> Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) writes:
 > What standard organization has defined IA5? Not ISO I assume.

No, CCITT.
dik@cwi.nl

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (04/02/91)

Dan,

CCITT IA5 is identical to ISO 646 IRV.

CCITT IA5, ISO 646 and ECMA 6 (or was it 4) were jointly developed.

--
[Erik Naggum]					     <enag@ifi.uio.no>
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway			   <erik@naggum.uu.no>

Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) (04/02/91)

In article <ENAG.91Apr1214243@holmenkollen.ifi.uio.no> enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
>Dan,
>
>CCITT IA5 is identical to ISO 646 IRV.
>
>CCITT IA5, ISO 646 and ECMA 6 (or was it 4) were jointly developed.

OK so it is ISO 646 they are talking about. I would never call that an
international alphabet.

   Dan

--

philip@beeblebrox.dle.dg.com (Philip Gladstone) (04/03/91)

Dan> It would be nice if IA5 was the same as ISO 8859-1.

Dan> What is in IA5 today? Which characters in IA5 makes it claim to be an
Dan> international alphabet?
Dan> What standard organization has defined IA5? Not ISO I assume.

IA5 (it's full name is International Alphabet No. 5) is defined in
CCITT Recommendation T.50. According to a note, it claims that this
recommendation corresponds to International Standard ISO 646.

The [recommendation|standard] is unsatisafactory in that it defines a
whole collection of character sets which are all variants of each
other. There is one distinguished version -- "the International
Refernce Version (IRV)" which defines all the characters.

As I understand the situation, there is a move afoot to change the 2/4
character from the crown symbol to the dollar sign.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Philip
--
Philip Gladstone         Dev Lab Europe, Data General, Cambridge, UK

    Why don't I just go zootlewurdle? Does it matter? Even if it does
    matter, does it matter that it matters?

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.085354.9993@lth.se>, Dan Oscarsson writes:
   In article <ENAG.91Apr1214243@holmenkollen.ifi.uio.no>, Erik Naggum writes:

   >CCITT IA5 is identical to ISO 646 IRV.
   >
   >CCITT IA5, ISO 646 and ECMA 6 (or was it 4) were jointly developed.

   OK so it is ISO 646 they are talking about. I would never call that an
   international alphabet.

Unfortunately, you weren't around when they named IA1, so your chance
to influence the name of IA6 is slim, but you could try. :-)

BTW, it's ECMA 6.  ECMA 4 is about flow-charts (yuk!).