[comp.std.internat] Unicode

egr@contact.uucp (Gordan Palameta) (03/03/91)

After all the publicity about Unicode in the trade papers recently, does
anyone know where to obtain a listing of the character set?

mh2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Hahn) (03/05/91)

contact Asmus Freytag at Microsoft.  I believe he's responsible
for UniCode proselytization.  his usenet address is uunet!microsoft!asmusf,
and from internet, I use microsoft!asmusf@uunet.uu.net.

best regards, mark

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (03/06/91)

egr@contact.uucp (Gordan Palameta) writes:

>After all the publicity about Unicode in the trade papers recently, does
>anyone know where to obtain a listing of the character set?
Write to:
	Unicode, Inc.
	1965 Charleston Rd.
	Mountain View, CA 94043
	USA
--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>

egr@contact.uucp (Gordan Palameta) (03/07/91)

My thanks to Jim DeLaHunt and Dr. Asmus Freytag, who sent replies regarding
Unicode.

In case anyone else is interested, here is some information excerpted from
their replies:

There is a Unicode consortium, of which Ken Whistler of Metaphor is the
Secretary.  You may contact him at
	whistler@metaphor.com	(INTERNET)

The full draft is hardcopy and > 800 pages.  Since the official
review period has ended, we normally don't send it out any
longer, except for special circumstances.  Publication of the spec
itself will be in book form after the middle of the year.

A mailing list exists on
E-Mail, please ask Bill at unicode-request@sun.com to be added.

If you desire hardcopy, please contact whistler@metaphor.com for
a copy of the sample document. This should give you an overview.

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar3.055206.26379@contact.uucp> egr@contact.uucp (Gordan
Palameta) writes:
> After all the publicity about Unicode in the trade papers recently, does
> anyone know where to obtain a listing of the character set?

Ask Asmus Freytag of Microsoft (uunet!microsoft!asmusf) for a copy of
Unicode draft 1.0 for review.  Be aware that you're asking for about two
kilos of paper.

There is also an associated mailing list, which carries a high volume of
medium-arcane traffic.  Try mailing unicode-request@sun.com if you want
to join it.
--
Dominic Dunlop

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/23/91)

In article <May.23.10.55.46.1991.8177@athos.rutgers.edu>, halldors@athos.rutgers.edu (Magnus M Halldorsson) writes:
> In article <3177@krafla.rhi.hi.is> einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) writes:
>> Can you point me in some direction of that Unicode?  I would like to
>> examine it a bit more?

> Perhaps we can see if some knowledgeable person on the net knows how
> to contact that agency to obtain the "standard".

Unicode was being published by Microsoft during the review
period. Since that period has ended, I don't believe the standard
will be available until the final standard is released.

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu