[comp.std.internat] HELP requested on internationalization

sgh@mrmarx.msc.com (Satyen Harve) (06/07/91)

I have just been given the responsibility of coming up with a
plan to internationalize our product.  As a first step, I have
to identify all the issues that are involved and determine
their impact on our product.  I would very much appreciate
hearing from someone who has gone through or is going through
this process.

I'd particularly like to get any tips or information on what
all is involved and where to go to read more about it.  We are
hoping to address both Europe and Asian markets.

As a background our product is used in a manufacturing environment
by all levels of users from less computer literate operators to
C programmers.  My background has been in the GUI area (X Windows)
and I am aware of X11R5 efforts to address this issue.  I have the
public draft of Xlib and Xt spec.  I know internationalization is
not limited to GUI but I am not sure of how to approach it.  Again
any help, tips, information, pointers will be greatly appreciated.

E-mail or post to this group and I will summarize

Thanks very much in advance

Satyen G Harve

--------

Satyen G. Harve                 (617) 894-3399
MainStream Software Corp	..!uunet!mrmarx!sgh
411 Waverly Oaks Road	               or
Waltham, MA 02154		sgh@mrmarx.msc.com

--------

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world, an unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress is due to
the unreasonable man."         - Bernard Shaw.

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (06/15/91)

sgh@mrmarx.msc.com (Satyen Harve) writes:

>I have just been given the responsibility of coming up with a
>plan to internationalize our product.  As a first step, I have
>to identify all the issues that are involved and determine
>their impact on our product.  I would very much appreciate
>hearing from someone who has gone through or is going through
>this process.

>I'd particularly like to get any tips or information on what
>all is involved and where to go to read more about it.  We are
>hoping to address both Europe and Asian markets.

I'd like to suggest that you get:

	"Digital Guide to Developing International Software"
	from Digital Press.
	Order # EY-F577E-DP
	ISBN # 1-55558-063-7

The book is geared towards the DEC platforms and the various
libraries available to VMS, Ultrix and DECwindows programmers.

Even if you couldn't care less about these platforms, the book is very
valuable.  Among other things, it describes common character sets and
has quite extensive guidelines fort dealing with internationalization
which are valid no matter what platform you're using.

DEC can be reached at 1-800-DIGITAL if you want to order this manual.
Outside the US, in New Hampshire, Alaska and Puerto Rico: 1-603-884-6660
--
Fredrik Nyman [Surgically Enhanced Cyberdweeb]  <ice@wang.com>  DoD #0328
Global Adaptation Center, Wang, M/S 019-490,    NeXT: <ice@red-zinger.wang.com>

arnet@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Arne Thormodsen) (06/17/91)

A couple of other sources would be the X/Open Portability Guide and (if
you can get it) the HP Native Language Support: User's Guide (HP P/N
B1864-90003).  I am not sure of the general availability of these books.

--arne

Arne Thormodsen
Hewlett-Packard

(Tho' I'm not supposed to recommend a competitor's product...  The DEC
book mentioned in the last posting is probably easiest to get and it's
pretty good. The only thing you need to be careful about (unless you are
developing for VAXen :-) is separating the DEC specific stuff from the
general stuff.  Also, there should be a book from OSF, someday soon I
hope...)

daves@dbase.a-t.com (Dave Schnepper) (06/18/91)

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) writes:

>	"Digital Guide to Developing International Software"
>	from Digital Press.
>	Order # EY-F577E-DP
>	ISBN # 1-55558-063-7
>
>The book is geared towards the DEC platforms and the various
>libraries available to VMS, Ultrix and DECwindows programmers.

I'ld like to echo Fredrik's recommendation of the above book.  It
is the only "public market" book on Internationalization I've found,
and I have found it to be better than all the "company confidential"
manuals I've seen (including the Digital manual on which it was based
<grin>).

We're able to get them at US$29.95 at our local technical bookstore.

--
David B. Schnepper
Manager, International Translation Support