[comp.org.usenix] Usenix vs. Uniforum

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/06/87)

I am comfortable with unix/xenix, and my company is now moving toward
developing software for that market.  I have been on the net for over a
year, but I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between DECUS and
/usr/group, and lately with the Usenix vs.  Uniforum concept.  I'm going
to a conference at Uniforum, and want to make sure I don't miss
anything.

Can someone enlighten me?

--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman						    mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/06/87)

In article <2833@osu-eddie.UUCP>, mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
> I have been on the net for over a
> year, but I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between DECUS and
> /usr/group, and lately with the Usenix vs.  Uniforum concept.

Societies
---------
DECUS - DEC User Society.  They run there own conventions and other
  activities.  While they have UNIX special interest groups, they are
  DEC Hardware rather than UNIX software oriented.

USENIX - an outgrowth of the Unix Users Group is a Unix User's Group.

/usr/group - The commercial UNIX user group.  Formed probably from the
   fact that USENIX was dominated by a bunch of Universities that were
   very anti-commercial product.  They tried to change their name to
   something that non-UNIX people could spell but it didn't catch on.

Conferences
-----------

DECUS - Lots of things going on at once for VAX, PDP-11's, DEC-20's,
   etc... including sessions for nearly every DEC Operating System.
   In addition some non-DEC specific panels on things like networking
   are also scheduled.

USENIX - Twice a year USENIX puts on a technical conference.  For a long
   time the Summer was the East Coast and the Winter was the west coast
   but that has been messed up in recent years.  Usually accompanied by
   decent tutorials for both the beginner and the in depth UNIX hacker.
   The format of this conference switches between a traditional presented
   papers format and Workshops (like Denver) and Forum (like the upcoming
   D.C.).  I think that most technical get more out of the traditional
   style, but that is my opinion.

UNIFORUM - Originally the name given to the combined /usr/group and USENIX
   show, I think this name is actually owned by /usr/group.  Anyhow the
   twice a year /usr/group /vendr/show has the spiffiest Exhibition Floor
   but the talks and the tutorials seem to hit things like how to raise
   venture capital and the like which may or may not interest you.

Over the past few years USENIX and /vendor/show have tried to at least
partially arrive in the same cities at the same time.  Washington, D.C.
two years ago was the first.  Dallas was the second, and now it returns
to Washington.

-Ron

ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (01/06/87)

In article <2833@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>I am comfortable with unix/xenix, and my company is now moving toward
>developing software for that market.  I have been on the net for over a
>year, but I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between DECUS and
>/usr/group, and lately with the Usenix vs.  Uniforum concept.  I'm going
>to a conference at Uniforum, and want to make sure I don't miss
>anything.
>
>Can someone enlighten me?
>
>--
>< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
>Mark D. Freeman

I am not an expert on the UNIX users groups but here is a discription of
DECUS that I recently posted to comp.org.decus.  I hope it helps.

There are a few basic questions that get asked from time to time that
indicate that people don't know much about DECUS and how to use its
services.  From time to time I will post a list of answers to DECUS
related questions that may be of interest to the net.  If you have a
suggestion on something that should be added to this posting please
let me know.
-----
Some basic answers to DECUS questions:

1) What does DECUS stand for and how do you pronounce it?

   Digital Equipment Computer Users Society

   The pronunciation is open for discussion.  My belief is that the
   correct way is DEE-CUS as opposed to DECK-US.

2) How can I contact DECUS?

   DECUS U.S. Chapter
   219 Boston Post Road, BP02
   Marlboro, Massachusetts  01752-1850

   (617) 480-3418

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      Symposia will be in Nashville, Tennessee, April 27 - May 1, 1987.
   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.
   c) The combined SIG Newsletters, a monthly collection of the
      Special Interest Group Newsletters which is available on a
      yearly subscription basis.
   d) Regional Conferences, local users groups from time to time host
      DECUS mini-symposia focoused on some subset of Digital products.
      For example the Rocky Mountain VAX Local Users Group is hosting
      a Regional Conference in Denver, Colorado, March 5-6, 1987.
      (Contact Donna Santoro, Banner Associates, (307) 745-7366 for
      more information.)

4) What is a SIG?

   SIGs are Special Interest Groups.  There are many such SIGs in
   DECUS. Some are: Artificial Intelligence, Business Applications,
   Commercial Languages, DAARC, Data Management, Datatrieve/4GL,
   EDUSIG, Graphics, Hardware Micro, IAS, Languages and Tools, Large
   Systems, MUMPS, Networks, Office Automation, Personal Computer,
   RSTS, RSX, RT, Site Management & Training, UNISIG (UNIX, ULTRIX),
   and VAX Systems.

   SIGs sponsor sessions at symposia, publish newsletters and in other
   ways provide services to DECUS members interested in particular
   subsets of problems and applications of DEC computers and software.

5) What is a LUG?

   A LUG is a Local Users Group.  There are many LUGs thoughout the
   U.S., Canada and the rest of the world.  LUGs usually are
   associated with one or more SIGs.  For example many LUGs deal with
   the problems of VAX systems only.  To find a LUG near you, contact
   the DECUS office.

6) How much does it cost to join DECUS?

   Membership in DECUS is free.

-----
Clyde T. Poole, DECUS Large Systems SIG Newsletter Editor
ARPA:     ctp@sally.utexas.edu               VOICE: (512) 471-9551
UUCP:     {harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!ctp  CIS: 75226,3135
Overland: UT at Austin, Department of Computer Sciences
          Taylor Hall 2.124, Austin, TX  78712-1188
"Life is a bitch ... and then you die"

jnj@mb2c.UUCP (Jim Jackson) (01/06/87)

In article <2833@osu-eddie.UUCP>, mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP writes:
> I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between DECUS and
> /usr/group, and lately with the Usenix vs.  Uniforum concept.  I'm going
> to a conference at Uniforum, and want to make sure I don't miss
> anything.
>
> Can someone enlighten me?

	In a nutshell, DECUS pertains to Digital (DEC) equipment.  Both Usenix
and /usr/group are UNIX based, but Usenix deals more with technical issues and
/usr/group's interest is more in the consumer, or end-user products.  Compare
the two separate programs.  There used to be a much wider gap in attendees of
the two; sandals and ponytails vs. 3-piece suits, but it not quite as wide
today. :)

				Jim Jackson
				Michigan Bell
				ihnp4!mb2c!jnj

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (01/06/87)

> ... but I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between DECUS and
>/usr/group, and lately with the Usenix vs.  Uniforum concept.  I'm going
>to a conference at Uniforum, and want to make sure I don't miss
>anything.
>
>Can someone enlighten me?

You've mentioned three users' groups.  DECUS - the Digital Equipment
Corporation Users Society - is a users' group for DEC users.  They
emphasize DEC products, and allow those users to share ideas about what
they're doing with the DEC stuff.  DECUS holds conferences twice each
year.

The Usenix Association and /usr/group are both users' groups oriented
towards the Unix operating system.  Usenix is more academically and
technically oriented, and /usr/group is more market oriented.

Usenix and /usr/group are sponsoring concurrent conferences in
Washington, D.C. the week of January 19.  The conference and show
sponsored by /usr/group is called Uniforum.  There will probably be
shuttles available between the two conferences, but separate
registrations are required.

Usenix also sponsores a summer conference, which is typically
accompanied by a small vendor exhibit.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

monte@oblio.UUCP (Monte Pickard) (01/07/87)

In article <562@brl-sem.ARPA>, ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
> UNIFORUM - Originally the name given to the combined /usr/group and USENIX
>    show, I think this name is actually owned by /usr/group.  Anyhow the
>    twice a year /usr/group /vendr/show has the spiffiest Exhibition Floor
>    but the talks and the tutorials seem to hit things like how to raise
>    venture capital and the like which may or may not interest you.
>
> Over the past few years USENIX and /vendor/show have tried to at least
> partially arrive in the same cities at the same time.  Washington, D.C.
> two years ago was the first.  Dallas was the second, and now it returns
> to Washington.
>
> -Ron

Actually the first 'joint' conference was in San Diego, called Unicom,
in 1982.  /usr/group was 'using the coat tails' of usenix to launch
their more commercial shows.  The real politics started then.
Usenix was always good for the technocrats.  Both seems to have value now,
whether in the same city, at the same time, or not.

Monte Pickard - Counterpoint Computers

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (01/07/87)

In article <562@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:

>Societies
>---------
>DECUS - DEC User Society.  They run there own conventions and other
>  activities.  While they have UNIX special interest groups, they are
>  DEC Hardware rather than UNIX software oriented.
>
>Conferences
>-----------
>
>DECUS - Lots of things going on at once for VAX, PDP-11's, DEC-20's,
>   etc... including sessions for nearly every DEC Operating System.
>   In addition some non-DEC specific panels on things like networking
>   are also scheduled.

Excuse me, but as UNISIG Chair, I have to object to the first
statement, and expand on the second.  While there is a natural bias
toward DEC hardware at DECUS, the orientation of the UNISIG (UNIX SIG)
is toward UNIX and UNIX products.  There happens to be a DEC UNIX
product called UNTRIX.  We have had presentations from various non-DEC
vendors, including SUN and AT&T.   We are always looking for UNIX
oriented talks for the symposiums.  Remember that for the most part,
UNIX is portable to a wide spectrum of hardware, and what solves a
problem for you on a piece of DEC or AT&T iron, may also solve your
problem on a SUN or some other hardware.

As for the symposium itself, "Lots of things" does not cover it.  There
is so much going on it can cause burn-out.  The symposium last 5 days,
with sessions usually running from 9 to 5 on three days and 9 to 11 on
two days.  There are 21 parallel tracks of sessions, about 1000+ over 5
days.  There are also other activites going on as well.

 Kurt Reisler
 UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
 ..{seismo|sundc|rlgvax|dtix|decuac}!hadron!klr          | 9990 Lee Highway
 Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den (703) 671-0598       | Suite 481
 Sysop, Fido 109/483 Wash-A-RUG     (703) 359-6549       | Fairfax, VA 22030

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (01/07/87)

In article <2833@osu-eddie.UUCP>, mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
> I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between DECUS and
> /usr/group, and lately with the Usenix vs.  Uniforum concept.

UNIFORUM attendees where jackets and ties and are just beginning
to learn UNIX mail, except that they forgot how to log in.

USENIX attendees where tee shirts and jeans and patch kernel bugs with adb.
The rest of their time is spent writing improved versions of shar.c.

DECUS attendees where plaid shirts and black plastic glasses
and spend their time enhancing their printer spooler in MACRO.
All their friends agree that the word UNIX nausiates them.

Just one person's view of the world ... Ken Greer
--
Ken Greer
ELAN Computer Group

jk@opusys.UUCP (John Kullmann) (01/13/87)

uniforum -> everyone has three piece suits on.

usenix -> no one has a three piece suit on.