[comp.org.usenix] Weather forecast for DC Usenix meeting

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (01/18/87)

The current extended weather forecast for Washington DC for Tuesday
through Friday is highs in the 40's and lows in the upper 20s/low 30s.
Cloudy, very little chance of rain.

It's too bad the conference wasn't last week. We had record high
temperatures (66 on Wednesday)

---rick

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (01/23/87)

In article <43077@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
> The current extended weather forecast for Washington DC for Tuesday
> through Friday is highs in the 40's and lows in the upper 20s/low 30s.
> Cloudy, very little chance of rain.

Rick is amazing.  Absolutely right!  Not a drop of rain! :-)

Okay, so we got the biggest snowfall here in 4 years.  So there is a
foot or more of snow around here now.  No big deal.  Unless you live
in the area.  I mean, we get so little snow usually here, but when we
do it seems it has more often than not been Usenix/UniForum week.
Even when USENIX is out of town!  I got one car stuck in my driveway 2
years ago (my driveway is 1/4 mile long...) going to the airport for
the Dallas Usenix and my wife, after picking me up with the kids in
the car, got the other car stuck coming back from getting me at the
airport a week later. (The snow tends to drift on our driveway.) (THAT
night the driveway was about 10 miles long ... see, we had to carry
the kids...)

So, what I am trying to say is no more meetings in DC... huh?  Please?
(I see UniForum is having a DC meeting in August in DC.  Not much
chance of snow then, so I guess that's okay.)

Fred

postman#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (01/25/87)

ReSent-To:nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu
To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.org.usenix@andrew.cmu.edu (Outbound News) (Recipient unknown)

D.C. in August is hot and muggy. The British diplomats, prior to air
conditioning, used to get hardship pay for D.C. We all froze this time
around, we can all steam the next time around, eh?

-David

dennisg@pwcs.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <1153@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>In article <43077@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>> The current extended weather forecast for Washington DC for Tuesday
>> through Friday is highs in the 40's and lows in the upper 20s/low 30s.
>> Cloudy, very little chance of rain.
>
>Rick is amazing.  Absolutely right!  Not a drop of rain! :-)
>
>Okay, so we got the biggest snowfall here in 4 years.  So there is a
>foot or more of snow around here now.  No big deal.  Unless you live

OK, a little humor. I escaped D.C. on Sunday morning just before
the next big storm hit and closed National again... got home to
Saint Paul, Minnesota to almost no snow..... a little cold, yes
but... almost no snow!

After the 1984 and the 1987 experience I suggest that the East
Coast year of the Uniforum/Usenix shibang be moved to a point
farther SOUTH ( Atlanta, Miami, whereever just NOT D.C. ). D.C.
would be a LOT more likeable during a warmer month. I like
January meetings, just not that far into the snow belt.

--
Dennis Grittner, Computer Services Manager, St. Paul Public Works
U.S.Mail: Room 700 City Hall Annex, 25 W. 4th St., St. Paul, Minn., 55102

For a while we had a pretty good tradition going:  the winter meetings were
always in California.  I thought that was a fine idea.  (I might accept
Florida and thereabouts as a substitute...)
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

dan@msdc.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <789@pwcs.StPaul.GOV> dennisg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dennis Grittner) writes:
>After the 1984 and the 1987 experience I suggest that the East
>Coast year of the Uniforum/Usenix shibang be moved to a point
>farther SOUTH ( Atlanta, Miami, whereever just NOT D.C. ). D.C.
>would be a LOT more likeable during a warmer month. I like
>January meetings, just not that far into the snow belt.

Don't neglect the fact that Atlanta got 5" of snow about 12 hours
before Washington got its 15".  And that Atlanta simply shuts down when
anything icy falls from the sky.  Under icy conditions here, the show
is much more amusing here than it was in DC (assuming that you're dry,
warm, and 100 feet from any motor vehicles).  How about we have the
conference way up North somewhere that they can cope with everything up
to and including a blizzard?  Then we can just dress up warmly and
ignore the weather :-).

----
Dan Forsyth ({akgua,gatech,mcnc}!msdc!dan)
Medical Systems Development Corporation, Atlanta, GA

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (02/01/87)

Here is the current long-term USENIX Conference schedule,
as published in the January/February 1987 ;login:

	Jun  8-12 1987 Hyatt Regency, Phoenix, AZ
	Feb 10-12 1988 Registry Hotel, Dallas, TX
	Jun 21-24 1988 Hilton Hotel, San Francisco, CA
	Feb  1- 3 1989 San Diego, CA
	Jun 13-16 1989 Hyatt Regency, Baltimore, MD
	Jun 11-15 1990 Marriott Hotel, Anaheim, CA

Note the next two winter meetings are in places where it
doesn't snow much (does it ever snow in San Diego?).

Also, notice that the schedule runs pretty far into the future.
This is because conferences of the size of the Summer USENIX
or the Winter Uniforum have to be scheduled three to five years
in advance.  And there are only about a dozen cities in North
America that can hold them (without scattering functions over
several widely-separated hotels and conference centers).

The Winter USENIX is smaller, so there is a bit more flexibility.
Except that the USENIX membership has repeatedly recommended that
Uniforum and Winter USENIX be held in the same city.  Since Uniforum
is bigger than the Winter USENIX, /usr/group has to schedule farther
in advance.  Thus the D.C. USENIX just past and the Dallas one
coming up are in places chosen by /usr/group (I kind of like
Dallas as a winter choice, myself).

Though I am on the USENIX Board, this is not a statement by
the Board, as I have not gotten it approved by them beforehand.
Nor do I claim to understand all the byzantine problems of
siting conventions.  But we are listening, both here and
especially to the results of the evaluation forms passed
out at the conferences.
--
John Quarterman, UUCP:  {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

bandy@amdcad.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <202@msdc.b.msdc.UUCP> dan@msdc.UUCP (Dan Forsyth) writes:
>Don't neglect the fact [...]
>and that Atlanta simply shuts down when
>anything icy falls from the sky.

So does D.C.  Do you think that they get much snow there either?

>How about we have the conference way up North somewhere that they can cope
>with everything up to and including a blizzard?  Then we can just dress up
>warmly and ignore the weather :-).

Um, almost.  Boston and Cambridge don't handle snow very well, that is
to say that they generally didn't start clearing it until just about the
next morning - by which time it has gotten even messier and there are just
enough non-snow conversant people driving around to mess everything up.

Now San Diego, on the other hand...
	andy
--
Andrew Scott Beals, {lll-crg,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!bandy +1 408 749 3683

eric@osiris.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <14573@amdcad.UUCP>, bandy@amdcad.UUCP (Andy Beals) writes:
> >Don't neglect the fact [...]
> >and that Atlanta simply shuts down when
> >anything icy falls from the sky.
>
> So does D.C.  Do you think that they get much snow there either?

	Actually, the local weather men have been pointing out that
DC tends to average about 20 inches of snow fall a winter, and that
this is comperable to what several cities to the north of us get. The
problem is that the average DC resident (and particularly the District
government) prefer to think that they only get about 5 inches of snow
a year. Both Virginia and Maryland suburbs recovered from all the snow
several days before the District did.

--

					eric
					...!seismo!mimsy!aplcen!osiris!eric