[comp.org.usenix] Foils, slides, and pointers

dennisg@fritz.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) (03/16/87)

In article <1987Mar10.151850.14051@sq.uucp> msb@sq.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
>Overhead projectors, as usually used, give images that are light gray
>on a white background.  Yuck!  Turning off the room lights makes it dark
>gray on white, but can also be unpleasant.  At the first day of the
>conference, however, instead of overhead projector foils we were given
>slides, typeset in white on blue.  Much better!  This was apparently an
>innovation of the organizers du jour; it should become a standard.
>(And if the speakers want to point at the slides, the dark background
>allows either flashlight or laser pointers to work nicely.)

About three years ago, I presented a paper at HLSUA (Honeywell's group) and
every presentation that I saw used 35 mm slides.

The lettering was white on a dark blue background.  As Mark mentioned, this
made for easy use of a light pointer.  In addition, the slides were loaded
into a carousel slide projector.  The speaker held the remote control.

The only problem I encountered was a projector with a brain-damaged automatic
focus feature.  Whenever I changed slides, the image would start out crisp and
rapidly become fuzzy.  When manually corrected, it would de-focus itself again
automatically.   AAARGH!