[comp.org.usenix] bc benchmarks

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (05/22/87)

In article <4329@nsc.nsc.com> grenley@nsc.UUCP (George Grenley) writes:
>In article <826@rtech.UUCP> daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>>At last winter's Uniforum, I went around to a number of booths trying to
>>run the infamous
>>	/bin/time bc << !
>>	2^4096
>>	!

A while back, I posted an analysis of this, either here, or in comp.sys.m68k.
THIS IS NOT A VERY GOOD BENCHMARK: 97% of the cycles are in one funcion,
in fact, in a piece of code that's on the order of 256 bytes.  Even weirder,
something like 40% of the cycles are in multiply and divide, i.e., this
code's statistics are not remotely typical.
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash, DDD:  	408-720-1700, x253