[comp.org.usenix] What to do in Phoenix

wdw@aucs.UUCP (06/01/87)

I'll be arriving in Phoenix on the Saturday before USENIX and was looking
for some suggestions as to what to do on Sunday. If anyone is familiar with
the area and has some suggestions for sight-seeing or interesting places to
visit please let me know. I will not have a car.
--
UUCP:      {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!wdw
BITNET:    {wdwvax|wdw}@Acadia

peter@utah-cs.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <361@aucs.UUCP> wdw@aucs.UUCP (Bill Wilder) writes:
>for some suggestions as to what to do on Sunday. If anyone is familiar with
>the area and has some suggestions for sight-seeing or interesting places to
>visit please let me know. I will not have a car.

There are many places to go but they require transportation.  Phoenix has the
charming aspects of most southwestern cities in that you have to get
away from them to enjoy them and public transportation is a concept
which died with the wagons of the Donner party.  You might be able to
find a tour bus type deal to take you up to Flagstaff and the south rim of
the Grand Canyon, but I would just rent a car or find some
fellow unixphiles who will be going out and about.

My recommendations would include:

	The Grand Canyon  (you are only cheating yourself if you have never seen				it)
	Flagstaff (Northern Arizona University Museum, I am not sure it is open
			on Sundays)
	US 89A (note the A) south of Flagstaff (good route for those of you
		driving from CA)
	Navajo Natl. Monument (SouthEast of the Grand Canyon)
	Saguaro National Monument (near Tucson ~100 miles south of Phoenix)
	If you get down to Tucson you might as well go to Mexico ...

Peter Ford  peter@cs.utah.edu

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <361@aucs.UUCP>, wdw@aucs.UUCP (Bill Wilder) writes:
> I'll be arriving in Phoenix on the Saturday before USENIX and was looking
> for some suggestions as to what to do on Sunday.

I hear that the regional science fiction convention (Bubonicon?) is happening
the Friday - Sunday preceding Usenix -- in the same hotel.  You should
at least be able to catch a few dead dog parties :-)
--
Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you may redistribute only if your recipients may.
(This is an effort to bend Stargate to work with Usenet, not against it.)