[comp.org.usenix] vendor LAN and UniForum

phil@osiris.UUCP (06/02/87)

[Posted also to comp.org.usenix because I felt it would be of interest]

As something of a sidebar to all the talk about the Usenix vendor systems
all hooked together on a provided LAN... I just got an announcement in the
mail from /usr/group for the February 88 UniForum in Dallas, whose theme
is to be "Connectivity, Connectivity, Connectivity".  An unauthorized
excerpt from the flyer: "... [the conference] focuses on the intersystem
communications advantages inherent in all UNIX systems..."

Think they'll have a vendor LAN?  I suppose we'll just have to wait and
see.

Anyway, this is pretty quick work; the discussion has only been going on
for a couple of weeks now... :-)

...!decvax!decuac!\                                               Phil Kos
  ...!seismo!mimsy!aplcen!osiris!phil           The Johns Hopkins Hospital
...!allegra!/                                                Baltimore, MD

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (06/05/87)

In article <1132@osiris.UUCP>, phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) writes:
> ... I just got an announcement in the
> mail from /usr/group for the February 88 UniForum in Dallas ...
>
> Think they'll have a vendor LAN?

Nothing new in this. There were vendor LANs at Anaheim ('86) and Washington
('87). I missed '85, but I know Sun, Pyramid and Gould showed NFS
at that one, so there must have been some kind of net.

{ Actually, I found that the vendor LAN gave me a real edge in PC-NFS demos.
  When things got loaded down in the Sun booth, I could always switch to
  using a nearby Convex as a server..... ;-) }

--
"You want a disclaimer form? Next window, please..."

Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems East Coast Division (home of PC-NFS)
UUCP: {ihnp4,decwrl,...}!sun!garnold  ARPA: garnold@sun.com

jsq@im4u.UUCP (06/06/87)

Both USENIX and UniForum have had ether cables on the floor of their
vendor exhibits for years.  USENIX did it first; /usr/group publicised
it first.  DECUS always has one, also.
--
John Quarterman, jsq@longway.tic.com, jsq@sally.utexas.edu
		{uunet,ut-sally}!longway!jsq