[comp.org.usenix] Steve Jobs at USENIX

shebs@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley Shebs) (06/13/87)

In article <1299@wor-mein.UUCP> dave@wor-mein.UUCP (Dave Axness) writes:

>At the USENIX conference in Phoenix, the keynote address was given by Steve
>Jobs.  I was very disappointed that he was allowed to make a comment like
>"X windows is brain damaged and will die" without providing any information
>to back up his assertion.

"Allowed"?  Keynote speakers have the privilege of saying whatever they
want, up to and including making fools of themselves in public.  I suppose
Jobs thinks we all want Macintosh primitiveness on our Suns and HPs...

I predict NeXT will die before X does.

							stan shebs
							shebs@cs.utah.edu

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (06/14/87)

Another point to note re. some of Steve Jobs's remarks:
If the 250,000 UNIX systems vs. couple of million MS-DOS or Apple
systems is to be believed, then there may well be more UNIX users
than users of any of the other systems, since UNIX is normally set
up as a multi-user system (with from 4 to 128 users each) whereas
the other systems are normally set up for a single user.

eric@hippo.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <5977@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> Another point to note re. some of Steve Jobs's remarks:
> If the 250,000 UNIX systems vs. couple of million MS-DOS or Apple
> systems is to be believed, then there may well be more UNIX users
> than users of any of the other systems, since UNIX is normally set
> up as a multi-user system (with from 4 to 128 users each) whereas
> the other systems are normally set up for a single user.

	Last I knew, the largest group of UNIX licenses were for
the Tandy's, running Xenix. Most of those are (hopefully) single user
machines. Likewise most of the Suns, etc. Probably a fair number of
the MicroVaxen. Does anyone have any real guess how many UNIX users
there are (that has numbers to back it up)?

	While I'm not sure Jobs was thinking about the multiuser
systems, I'm not sure that his comments are still applicable. Even on
multiuser machines, the days of non-bitmapped terminals are probably
numbered, and that puts even the Crays, Convexes, Alliants, etc into
having to deal with bit-mapped devices. But this probably isn't
the proper group to continue this discussion in.

--

					eric
					...!ptsfa!hippo!eric

whizzy@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Whisenant) (06/16/87)

In article <5977@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> Another point to note re. some of Steve Jobs's remarks:
> If the 250,000 UNIX systems vs. couple of million MS-DOS or Apple
> systems is to be believed, then there may well be more UNIX users
> than users of any of the other systems, since UNIX is normally set
> up as a multi-user system (with from 4 to 128 users each) whereas
> the other systems are normally set up for a single user.

I would like to change the Number of max users on a UNIX system.
I am a system administrator and one of my system has peaked out
at 438 user's log'ed on at one time. Also average use is around
337. Just thought someone might like to know.

By the way the UNIX system is UTS.

sdejarne@polyslo.UUCP (Steven B DeJarnett) (06/16/87)

In article <125@hippo.UUCP> eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) writes:
>In article <5977@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>> Another point to note re. some of Steve Jobs's remarks:
>> If the 250,000 UNIX systems vs. couple of million MS-DOS or Apple
>> systems is to be believed, then there may well be more UNIX users
>> than users of any of the other systems, since UNIX is normally set
>> up as a multi-user system (with from 4 to 128 users each) whereas
>> the other systems are normally set up for a single user.
>
>	Last I knew, the largest group of UNIX licenses were for
>the Tandy's, running Xenix. Most of those are (hopefully) single user
>machines. Likewise most of the Suns, etc. Probably a fair number of
>the MicroVaxen. Does anyone have any real guess how many UNIX users
>there are (that has numbers to back it up)?

	Consider, though, that most Universities have a LARGE user base.
We at Cal Poly have over 800 active accounts, and we only have 15,000
people in the whole school (only ~400 in Computer Science).  I think that
with Universities to at least partially counteract the Tandy's running
Xenix, that guessing more than one user (on the average) per site is
reasonable.

| Steve DeJarnett		|    ...!ihnp4!csun!polyslo!sdejarne	      |
| Computer Systems Lab		|    ...!{csustan,csun,sdsu}!polyslo!sdejarne |
| Cal Poly State Univ		|    ...!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!sdejarne	      |
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407	|    					      |

coray@nucsrl.UUCP (Elizabeth) (06/25/87)

/ nucsrl:comp.org.usenix / dave@wor-mein.UUCP (Dave Axness) / 10:00 am  Jun 12, 1987 /

> I was very disappointed that he was allowed to make a comment like
> "X windows is brain damaged and will die" without providing any information
> to back up his assertion.

It is completely absurd to me that anyone would want to disallow anyone,
particularly Steve Jobs, from saying anything he pleased.

Jobs always says what he pleases, its part of his charm.

M. Elizabeth Corey