[comp.org.usenix] Distributed Unix BOF at Usenix

wyant@apollo.uucp (Geoffrey Wyant) (05/29/87)

Apollo Computer would like to invite you to a Birds-Of-a-Feather (BOF)
on "Distributed Unix Systems" being held Wednesday, June 10, from
8:00Pm-10:00Pm in the Curtis-B room of the Hyatt Regency.

This BOF will focus on Unix in a network computing environment.
Systems such a NFS and RFS have been fairly successful in providing file
sharing in a distributed environment, but the issues of compute sharing
have been less well-addressed.  The BOF will begin with a presentation
by Apollo Computer on the Network Computing System (NCS) as a base for
compute sharing.  After that the floor will be opened to general discussion
of issues in network computing environments: heterogeneity; name, location,
and failure transparency; and authentication.

Hope to see you in Phoenix !

--

Geoff Wyant   UUCP:  ...{yale,mit-eddie}!apollo!wyant

In article <35271d8e.1d22@apollo.uucp> wyant@apollo.uucp (Geoffrey Wyant) writes:
>Apollo Computer would like to invite you to a Birds-Of-a-Feather (BOF)
>on "Distributed Unix Systems" being held Wednesday, June 10, from
>...  The BOF will begin with a presentation
>by Apollo Computer on the Network Computing System (NCS) as a base for
>compute sharing.  After that the floor will be opened to general discussion

If Apollo is setting the rules, then this is an Apollo BOF,
and should be so labeled (truth in advertising).  Or were you
planning to invite Locus and other competitors to also give
presentations before the general discussion.

I'm beginning to think we should do away with BOFs.

woods@hao.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) (05/30/87)

>If Apollo is setting the rules, then this is an Apollo BOF,
>and should be so labeled (truth in advertising).

  I agree. I remember at Atlanta there was one billed as a "beer BOF" and,
while they did have beer, it turned out to be a sales pitch for one
software house's version of Emacs (to avoid flame wars, I won't name
them; if you were there, then you know who it was, and if you weren't,
it doesn't matter).

--Greg
--
UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!woods
CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

mishkin@apollo.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <5916@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <35271d8e.1d22@apollo.uucp> wyant@apollo.uucp (Geoffrey Wyant) writes:
>>Apollo Computer would like to invite you to a Birds-Of-a-Feather (BOF)
>>on "Distributed Unix Systems" being held Wednesday, June 10, from
>>...  The BOF will begin with a presentation
>>by Apollo Computer on the Network Computing System (NCS) as a base for
>>compute sharing.  After that the floor will be opened to general discussion
>
>If Apollo is setting the rules, then this is an Apollo BOF,
>and should be so labeled (truth in advertising).  Or were you
>planning to invite Locus and other competitors to also give
>presentations before the general discussion.
>
>I'm beginning to think we should do away with BOFs.

Let me make it clear that our intent is NOT to have an "Apollo BOF".
We are NOT setting up some marketing pitch.  We're just poor dumb engineers
trying to get together people to talk about issues in doing distributed
computing on Unix machines.  Yes, we will talk about things we've done.
Anyone else who comes and has something relevant to talk about is welcome
to do so.  If we were remiss in not setting up a formal agenda with formal
invitations to formal people about formal topics in formal distributed
computing, then EXCUSE ME.  I thought this was a "birds of a feather"
session; I wasn't planning on wearing a jacket and tie.
--
                    -- Nat Mishkin
                       Apollo Computer Inc.

dennisg@pwcs.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <353b29a4.c366@apollo.uucp> mishkin@apollo.UUCP (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:
>In article <5916@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>In article <35271d8e.1d22@apollo.uucp> wyant@apollo.uucp (Geoffrey Wyant) writes:
>>>Apollo Computer would like to invite you to a Birds-Of-a-Feather (BOF)
	Etc, etc.
>computing, then EXCUSE ME.  I thought this was a "birds of a feather"
>session; I wasn't planning on wearing a jacket and tie.
>--
I have watched this 'little discussion' with some interest and
thought there might be some 'light' that I could shed on some of
the possible 'feelings' that some might have on this subject. The
gentleman who is offended above may well be a software engineer
who has never been offended or threatened by the sales and
marketing methods used by his company. I have been offended by
the sales methods used by Apollo ( IBM like - go to the superiors
and use political pressure rather than technical discussion ) and
perhaps others have as well.

Hopefully, Apollo will do a native Unix port, and quit trying to
tell all of us that Aegis is so much 'better'. As far as their
'right' to have a BOF , I think that BOF 'rules' should always be
pretty loose - to encourage whatever might happen that the
attendees want to happen.

--
Dennis Grittner		City of Saint Paul, Minnesota
(612) 298-4402		Room 700, 25 W. 4th St. 55102

geller@eli.UUCP (David Geller) (07/05/87)

Going back over some posting it strikes me as odd that so many would
complain about a company sponsoring a BOF session. Anyone truely
interested in attending a particular session should take the time
to read about what the subject is and judge for themselves if they
think the subject will be too overly biased. And if it is...well
there is still likely to be plenty of useful information presented.
Those that would like to "do away" with these session are clearly
failing to see the benefits these sessions serve for some people.
And if for only a few people - then - so what. Why do away with them because
only a few are dissatisfied.

David Geller