[comp.org.usenix] Dallas conference announcement

Just got the program for the Dallas conference.  It has two small but serious
omissions, which I hope Usenix will correct here ASAP.  First, it does not
tell you how far apart the two hotels are (the maps have no scale on them),
a non-trivial consideration when the HQ hotel is the more expensive one.
And second, while it mentions the Uniforum trade show, it does not tell you
the schedule of the show -- this is very important information for people
who want to see the show and need to plan their stay accordingly!
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

peter@usenix.UUCP (Peter Salus) (12/04/87)

In article <9023@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Just got the program for the Dallas conference.  It has two small but serious
> omissions, which I hope Usenix will correct here ASAP.  First, it does not
> tell you how far apart the two hotels are (the maps have no scale on them),
> a non-trivial consideration when the HQ hotel is the more expensive one.
> And second, while it mentions the Uniforum trade show, it does not tell you
> the schedule of the show -- this is very important information for people
> who want to see the show and need to plan their stay accordingly!
> --
> Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

Let me try to respond to Spencer's problems:
(1) The two hotels are within comfortable walking distance
	for anyone not a native of Southern California;
	probably a shorter distance than Spencer walks as he
	strolls from the Zoology building at UofT to the
	Library of the Pontifical Institute for Mediaeval
	Studies (a few blocks);
(2) Every individual on the USENIX membership or
	mailing lists will receive a UniForum program,
	if they have not yet received one.  For those
	individuals who are not on those
	lists, UniForum is the 9-11 February --
	Tuesday through Thursday.

	(It might be worth pointing out that USENIX
	mails things first class; not everyone does...)

Peter H. Salus
Executive Director

peter@usenix.UUCP (Peter Salus) (12/04/87)

...Incidentally, for those who are disinclined to walk
for 10 minutes, there will be a continuous shuttle bus
between the two hotels in Dallas.

Peter

usrgroup@utgpu.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <9023@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Just got the program for the Dallas conference.  It has two small but serious
. . .
>And second, while it mentions the Uniforum trade show, it does not tell you
>the schedule of the show -- this is very important information for people
>who want to see the show and need to plan their stay accordingly!
. . .

		UniForum Feb 8-11 1988, INFOMART, DALLAS, Texas

Mon Feb  8 0900-1700 All-day tutorials (12)

Tue9-Thu11 0900-1715 Conference: 16 marketing/industry, 24 technical papers

		EXHIBIT hours:	(200 vendors)
Tue Feb 9	1200-1900
Wed Feb 10	1000-1800
Thu Feb 11	1000-1600

		800-323-5155  ( +1 312 299 3131 )

Peter Renzland  416/964-9141  VP,  (User Services)      mnetor!ontmoh!peter
/usr/group/cdn  The Canadian Network of UNIX Users
utgpu!usrgroup

wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (12/04/87)

Are there going to be any official transportation between the conference
site and the show site?

chip@killer.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <108@usenix.UUCP> peter@usenix.UUCP (Peter Salus) writes:
>...Incidentally, for those who are disinclined to walk
>for 10 minutes, there will be a continuous shuttle bus
>between the two hotels in Dallas.

Probably a good idea.  Although the distance is not bad, watching hundreds
of folks walking down the N. Dallas Parkway and across Beltline will not
be a pretty sight.  Road kill city!

Important News - North Dallas is dry, except for the Addison hotel alley,
where all this is happening.  The *only* place you can carry out a six-pack
is along Addison Rd:

	 N	 |				|
	/|\	 |			GRAND   |
	 |	 |		|	KEPINSKI|
	 |	 |		|		|
		 |		|		|
-----------------+--------------+---------------+------------ Beltline Rd.
		#|		|		|
    BEER HERE-> #| 		|		|
		#| 		|MARRIOTT	|
		#| 		|		|
	      Addison	      Quorom	     N. Dallas
		Rd.			    Pkwy/Tollwy

--
Chip Rosenthal         chip@vector.UUCP		| But if you want to sing the
Dallas Semiconductor     (214) 450-0400		|  blues, then boy you better

peter@usenix.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <15600001@iuvax>, wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:

> Are there going to be any official transportation between the conference
> site and the show site?

Page 3 of the USENIX Program for Dallas reads (in part):

	Continuous shuttle bus service
	will be provided...

Peter H. Salus
Executive Director

> (1) The two hotels are within comfortable walking distance
> 	for anyone not a native of Southern California;
> 	probably a shorter distance than Spencer walks as he
> 	strolls from the Zoology building at UofT to the
> 	Library of the Pontifical Institute for Mediaeval
> 	Studies (a few blocks);

This is actually not entirely helpful, since I have never been to the
Pontifical Institute in my life and would have to consult a map to
determine where it is! :-)  The "ten minutes" you mentioned in your
other posting is actually what I wanted to know.

> (2) Every individual on the USENIX membership or
> 	mailing lists will receive a UniForum program,  ...
>	(It might be worth pointing out that USENIX
>	mails things first class; not everyone does...)

It might be worth pointing out in return that when potential Usenix
attendees are likely to get their Usenix mailings well before other
relevant mailings, reproducing one or two key items of information from
said other mailings would be useful.  My impression is that the trade
show is by far the biggest attraction UniForum holds for Usenix-type
folks, hence its hours (not just its dates) are important.

Neither of these omissions is a major problem, but it would be worth
remembering them for the future.
--

cal@pyrtech (Craig Alan Levin) (12/09/87)

In article <109@usenix.UUCP> peter@usenix.UUCP (Peter Salus) writes:
>In article <15600001@iuvax>, wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>> Are there going to be any official transportation between the conference
>> site and the show site?
>
>Page 3 of the USENIX Program for Dallas reads (in part):
>
>	Continuous shuttle bus service
>	will be provided...

Just a word of warning:  The last time the conference and show were
both in Dallas;  I planned to go see the show over the lunch break,
and waited an hour for the continuous shuttle.  I finally gave up took
a cab.

Another serious question:  Why am I always interested in both or
neither of the parallel sessions?