[comp.org.usenix] Bookstore Hospitality Suite at Dallas!

jim@hoptoad.uucp (Jim Joyce) (01/29/88)

Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore will have a hospitality suite  at  the
Grand  Kempenski  Hotel  in  Dallas,  site  of  the Usenix Winter
Conference Meeting.  Wine, soft drinks, cheese,  books,  and  the
occasional  author  are  on  hand  from  4 - 7 pm, Monday through
Thursday.

We should have copies of the new Nutshell book  on X-Windows,  as
well as copies of the PostScript books.
Hope to see you there!
--
e-mail:  ...!{sun,lll-crg}!hoptoad!jim
Snail:	Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore

jaap@cwi.nl (Jaap Akkerhuis) (02/01/88)

In article <3966@hoptoad.uucp> jim@hoptoad.uucp (Jim Joyce) writes:

 > Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore will have a hospitality suite  at  the
 > Grand  Kempenski  Hotel  in  Dallas,  site  of  the Usenix Winter
 > Conference Meeting.  Wine, soft drinks, cheese,  books,  and  the
 > occasional  author  are  on  hand  from  4 - 7 pm, Monday through
 > ... etc.

Yeah, according to my experience you will have all the books stacked
up, serving the a bottle of wine since there happens to be a
prospective client with a swiss army knife in sight, while the
authors are eating the cheese--somewhere else.

	jaap

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (02/03/88)

In article <406@sering.cwi.nl>, jaap@cwi.nl (Jaap Akkerhuis) writes:
> In article <3966@hoptoad.uucp> jim@hoptoad.uucp (Jim Joyce) writes:
>  >
>  > Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore will have a hospitality suite  at  the
>  > Grand  Kempenski  Hotel  in  Dallas,  site  of  the Usenix Winter
>  > Conference Meeting.  Wine, soft drinks, cheese,  books,  and  the
>  > occasional  author  are  on  hand  from  4 - 7 pm, Monday through
>  > ... etc.
>
> Yeah, according to my experience you will have all the books stacked
> up, serving the a bottle of wine since there happens to be a
> prospective client with a swiss army knife in sight, while the
> authors are eating the cheese--somewhere else.

Hey, I'm an author, and if I *don't* make it to Jim's annual bash (which
is, by this time, a "don't miss" classic of Usenix), I miss out on talking
to a lot of interesting people, GOOD (or at least decent) wine, and
*everybody* gets cheese.

If  Jim were a super-capitalist creep the way you're implying, he'd have a
big booth at Uniforum with dancing girls. Nobody at any of Jim Joyce's
*hospitality* suites (he knows what the word means) has ever been turned
away or declined food or fun because they weren't a "paying customer".
Where else do you expect to meet truly interesting people? At some of the
"big company" suites and such, you can expect to be *ignored* if you're
not a big customer, member of the press, or potential employee.
--
David Fiedler         {ames,attmail,hplabs,ihnp4,pyramid,ucdavis}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672      Phone: (916) 677-5870

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing."