[comp.org.usenix] Dallas Plague

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (02/20/88)

So far of the 4 people I know from the Northern Virginia area who went
to the Dallas Usenix meeting, 4 have missed several days of work this
week because of soem flu-like malady.

Was this effect noticed in other areas or are people from Virginia bigger
wimps than the rest of the country...

--rick

cal@pyrtech (Craig Alan Levin) (02/22/88)

In article <44246@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>So far of the 4 people I know from the Northern Virginia area who went
>to the Dallas Usenix meeting, 4 have missed several days of work this
>week because of soem flu-like malady.

I ran a 104 fever for 4 days and still have some one sitting on my
lungs.

flaps@csri.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) (02/22/88)

The three people I went with all got fairly sick down there, and two of
them came home sick.  They are all better now...

randy@ncifcrf.ncifcrf.gov (The Computer Grue) (02/23/88)

    I wasn't quite this badly off, just a headache, dizziness, nausea,
etc. from Monday till about Wednsday.  Still have a cough.  What
happened?  Is there a Biological Warfare site somewhere around Dallas?
:-}

						-- Randy

--
  Randy Smith    @	NCI Supercomputer Facility
  c/o PRI, Inc.		Phone: (301) 698-5660

bsteve@occrsh.ATT.COM (02/23/88)

The incubation period for the bug appears to be between 3 and 7 days. I and
numerous others caught the bug. It is recognizable by cold-like symptoms
and fever early and later by mild to not-so-mild pneumonia. Apparently the
disease is sweeping the country as my former SO indicated to me yesterday.
She works for a group of medical practices and described their business
as "very brisk". The agent appears to be *VERY* contagious and viral. The
respiratory problems following the infection by the virus appear to be
a secondary infection due to "normal" flora and Hemophilus. Choke-Hack.
If you have had the pneumonia that follows this for more than a week,
go see your doc.

  Steve Blasingame (ihnp4!gorgo!bsteve) (bsteve@gorgo.att.com)
  Itasca, IL
  (312) 250-5376

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (02/23/88)

In article <15273@pyramid.pyramid.com> cal@pyrtech.UUCP (Craig Alan Levin) writes:
>In article <44246@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>>So far of the 4 people I know from the Northern Virginia area who went
>>to the Dallas Usenix meeting, 4 have missed several days of work this
>>week because of soem flu-like malady.
>
>I ran a 104 fever for 4 days and still have some one sitting on my
>lungs.

I had the same thing... so did my wife... Kids...  None of us went to Dallas.
It is a flu that is going around and has nothing to do with Dallas.  (Heck,
we don't even *watch* Dallas! :-) )

Fred

Ok, guys, the middle Atlantic seaboard region had at least one flu
epidemic in December and January.  It's more likely some of the
visitors imported it to Dallas than the other way around.

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (02/24/88)

Actually, according to the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta,
Texas has the worst outbreak of influenza of any state in the US.

Yes, there's flu "everywhere". It is at its worst in Texas. There seems
to be a rather high percentage of people who picked it up
at or within a short time after attending Usenix in Dallas.

---rick

rusty@hocpa.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (02/24/88)

In article flaps@csri.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

>The three people I went with all got fairly sick down there, and two of
>them came home sick.  They are all better now...

I was in Dallas from the Sunday before 'til the Sunday after and I
haven't felt better.  I was usually with a gang of friends (mostly
"natives") almost every night and someone would have had something
that I could have caught.  Maybe it has something to do with the
hotel y'all stayed in.

Then again, just because you're in Dallas, Texas in February doesn't
mean it ain't gonna git cold.  Bring some warm clothes next time and
watch the weather for a coupla days prior to traveling.

It's funny no one's brought up the fact that many of us froze our
<censored> off the last time Usenix/Uniforum was in Dallas.
So much for going south for the winter!

As for this summer in SF.... Mark Twain once wrote (paraphrased):

   "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

Good luck!!!

			-Rusty-
----
Rusty Haddock {{uunet!likewise!}cbosgd,rutgers!moss}!hocpa!rusty
AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory
Holmdel, New Joyzey  07733		(201) 834-1023
     -- Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
	from magic.	-Arthur C Clark-
     -- ... or a rigged demo.

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (02/24/88)

I hate being avant-garde... I had something like this in the last week
of December.. not a whole lot of fun.  A LOT of people of NYC that I know have
since or are now battling it.  The fever seems t be the worst part of it, as it
is very persistant... mine lasted for 5 days at between 103 and 104.8

In a word  -- unpleasant.

		DHMS

David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
MCIMail: DSpector				New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080

blair@obdient.UUCP (Doug Blair) (02/25/88)

In article <1988Feb22.133626.11843@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, flaps@csri.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

> The three people I went with all got fairly sick down there, and two of
> them came home sick.....

Could this be the first, actual, legitimate reported case of a computer
virus in the US?

Doug Blair

coleman@unisoft.UUCP (Donald Coleman) (02/25/88)

I'm not surprised a number of people came down with it in Dallas.
It was written up in the local SF paper here about a week ago(it even
has a name, RSV, or RVS, or something like that).

I got it from one of my coworkers about 3 weeks before the conference.
Both Kirk Mckusick and Eric Allman came down with it, just about 4 days
after I went over to their place to watch the new star trek series(I
had just finally crept out of bed), so Kirk was in the middle of it(4
days later) the sunday before usenix(for the boardmeeting).  I hate to
think how many people he infected while doing tutorials and the like.

This bug really likes to get around.  Give it a chance, and it will
leap at you too!  Only one nice thing about it.  You generally only
get each particular bug once in your life(but, alas, there are thousands
of them).

In good health, till next winter at least,
don
coleman@berkeley.edu

robert@rabbit1.UUCP (Robert Oliver) (03/02/88)

In article <44246@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
> So far of the 4 people I know [who went to the]...
> to the Dallas Usenix meeting, 4 have missed several days of work this
> week because of soem flu-like malady.
>
> Was this effect noticed in other areas or are people from Virginia bigger
> wimps than the rest of the country...
>
> --rick

I wasn't at Usenix, but I WAS at the simultaneous Uniforum.  And I was sick
for about a week, and missed two or three days of work.  103 degree
temperatures make for weird dreams.
--

Robert Oliver
Rabbit Software Corp.		(215) 647-0440

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/02/88)

In article <44246@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
> So far of the 4 people I know from the Northern Virginia area who went
> to the Dallas Usenix meeting, 4 have missed several days of work this
> week because of soem flu-like malady.

	I didn't go to Usenix, but I went to UNIFORUM... and you're right.
The three of us who went for our company, as well as two other people (one
from Seattle and the other from Tuscon (AZ)) who I am in frequent phone
contact with have also reported flu.

I think it's an evil communist DOS plot (EGA or VGA... it's a good plot).

Has anybody asked CDC (NO, not Control Data Corp :-)?

	terry@wsccs