[comp.org.usenix] Suggestion on USENIX scheduling, Plague

scs@m2-net.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) (03/02/88)

In article <2305@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:

>    This brings us to an interesting point.  The reason for the recent
>conference being held in Dallas was to make it easy for USENIX attendees
>to attend the UniForum Trade Show.  . . . how important a factor is it
>to people that they be able to attend a UniForum while attending USENIX?

Important?  Not critically.  Useful and interesting?  Very.  About 70% of
USENIX is interesting, with overlaps that means about 50% of my time is
free.  I spend that time collecting buttons, looking at new toys, meeting
friends who are working the show, etc, etc.  If I can attend only one
USENIX per year, it's the one with UniForum.

>As long as the winter conference is held
>concurrently with UniForum, we will be restricted to Washington, D.C., Dallas,
>and what ever west coast site UniForum chooses.

Someone (probably at UniForum) is taking the easy way out.  There are
more cities that could handle this; Detroit, Los Vegas and Chicago leap
to mind.  I speak as a former convention organizer.

>     There are good arguments for and against holding the two concurrenlty.
>[which he details very well].

As I see it, your objection is not to the joint conference but that it's
always the winter one.  So let's suggest we do a joint Summer instead.  Not
that summer in Miami is all that attractive, tho...but you're aiming for
a USENIX-only summer conf, right?

-------------------

On the "USENIX Plague" -- this whole discussion is a waste of bandwidth.
"It happened to four of us -- it must be a conspiracy!"  Yeesh.
--
Steve Simmons				Just Another M-Net News Reader
scs@lokkur.uucp					At Home In Dexter, MI.

jsq@uunet.UU.NET (John S. Quarterman) (03/07/88)

In article <1598@m2-net.UUCP> scs@m-net.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) writes:
>Someone (probably at UniForum) is taking the easy way out.  There are
>more cities that could handle this; Detroit, Los Vegas and Chicago leap
>to mind.  I speak as a former convention organizer.

It's /usr/group who picks sites for UniForum:  408-986-8840.
Incidentally, New York and Boston (there was a Boston USENIX in 1982)
also have facilities, but they, like Chicago, are quite expensive due
to their union arrangements.

>As I see it, your objection is not to the joint conference but that it's
>always the winter one.  So let's suggest we do a joint Summer instead.

There is no summer UniForum (yes, I know about August 89 in D.C.:  that's
not a regular conference).