[comp.org.usenix] HELP ME!!!

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/25/88)

In article <5816@cup.portal.com> JJ@cup.portal.com writes:
> Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(

	Didn't we see this exact same article a couple of weeks ago?  Can't
somebody at portal put a muzzle on this guy?  It used to be that if I
wanted to get panhandled, all I had to do is step out the door of where I
work; now it seems I can get panhandled in the comfort of my own office.
If this had been sent via U.S. Mail, would it constitute mail fraud?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

[I apologize for continuing this discussion in an inappropriate news
group...]

In article <3287@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> In article <5816@cup.portal.com> JJ@cup.portal.com writes:
> > Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(
>
> 	Didn't we see this exact same article a couple of weeks ago?  Can't
> somebody at portal put a muzzle on this guy?  It used to be that if I
> wanted to get panhandled, all I had to do is step out the door of where I
> work; now it seems I can get panhandled in the comfort of my own office.
> If this had been sent via U.S. Mail, would it constitute mail fraud?

	It could STILL be mail fraud since "JJ" (through Portal) is
soliciting that the money be sent via the mail to a post office box;
i.e., an element of the potential fraud involves the mail.

	If you or anyone else is sufficiently pissed off about this
recent barrage of postings, I would suggest that you contact your
local postal inspector and send them a copy of the article.  Be sure
to give them the name and address of Portal from the map files, since
Portal may be equally involved.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"