[comp.org.usenix] san francisco registration list

mao@blia.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) (06/10/88)

a number of people here at britton lee received some junk mail (er, junk
marketing) from a company called eta systems.  these people are exhibiting
at booth 715 at the conference.  because we have some new employees here
who got the mail, we know that eta systems did not use the registration
list for phoenix.  they've invited us all to their booth to look at their
system v clone and (maybe) win a casio calculator.

i don't really mind the extra mail, but i'm concerned that these people
may have gotten a copy of the registration list before the conference even
started.  i know this issue was hashed out at great length some time ago.
as i recall, the membership and attendee lists are *not* sold, but may be
picked up at the conference by any registrant.

my question:  how did eta systems get my name and mailing address?

					mike olson
					britton lee, inc.
					...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!mao (preferred)
					olson@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry) (06/10/88)

In article <4797@blia.BLI.COM> mao@blia.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) writes:
>a number of people here at britton lee received some junk mail (er, junk
>marketing) from a company called eta systems.  these people are exhibiting
>at booth 715 at the conference.  because we have some new employees here
>who got the mail, we know that eta systems did not use the registration
>list for phoenix.  they've invited us all to their booth to look at their
>system v clone and (maybe) win a casio calculator.

I don't really object to their mail, but if they want me to wear that
grotesque button they should at least give me a chance to win an ETA-10P
(or at least something interesting) instead of some stupid $10
calculator...

--Dave Curry

johnd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Donnelly) (06/10/88)

SUBJECT: SF pre-attendee list mailing
Certain vendors had inquired about doing a mailing to the pre-registered
attendees at the San Francisco Conference/Exhibition.  This request was
passed by Peter Salus and a couple of Board members and approved as follows:
Mailing labels for the pre-registered attendees as of 6/5/88 would be prepared
and Fed Ex'ed to the companies requesting this service.  The attendees who
indicated they did not want to be on the attendee list were not included in
this list.
This was viewed as a service to exhibitors, who provide a significant amount
of revenue to support the Association's activities, and was to be directed
at SF related activities (announcements, give aways, etc.).  Anyone who doesn't
like this type of junk mailing, and indicates that they want to be on the
attendee list, is free to insert such mail in the circular file immediately.
Vendors receive copies of the attendee list, just like every other attendee.
The availability of the pre-registered attendee labels to companies exhibiting
at San Francisco was approved on a one time basis and will be addressed
again at the BOD meetings ins SF.
John L. Donnelly, USENIX Exhibit Manager, uunet!{usenix,boulder}!johnd