[comp.org.usenix] USENET Awards

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (06/13/88)

As my last unofficial act as outgoing member of
the USENIX board, I am going to try to start a
new tradition.  At the San Francisco conference
reception, we will hold a short USENET awards
ceremony.  That is, if you, the creative net public,
come across.  The idea is for you to invent an award
category and then nominate a person, a particular
usenet article, a topic, or anything else you can
think of.  I will collect the nominations, and will
impanel at the conference an ad-hoc jury of totally
impartial judges to pick winners and then give out
awards at the reception.  The jury's whims will be
final.  Who knows, we may even give out awards on the
nominations themselves.  Winners need not be present.
Hint: funny awards will probably have a special
appeal to the jury.

EMAIL YOUR NOMINATIONS  -- don't post them to the net.

PLEASE keep your nomination messages brief.

If you can't remember who said something, or exactly
what they said, don't guess.  You must forward excerpts
from an actual message at the end of your nomination.

EMAIL YOUR NOMINATIONS  -- don't post them to the net.

    -- Dave Yost

Example:

Category: best description of *them*:

    ... even though such actions are usually greeted by cries of
    "fascism" from a chorus of net weenies.  ...

From: russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence)
Date: 2 Jun 88 19:51:28 GMT
Newsgroups: news.admin,news.groups
Subject: minimum age for voting on new groups

Russell Lawrence, WP Group, New Orleans (504) 456-0001
{uunet,killer}!wpg!russ

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (06/16/88)

In article <419@grand.UUCP> day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:
>The idea is for you to invent an award
>category and then nominate a person, a particular
>usenet article, a topic, or anything else you can
>think of.

Amazing.  Unbelievable.
The vociferous net is silent.
I have had 3 responses.
We need a lot more ASAP.
I'll be collecting them until next Tuesday.

There are a lot of people who include
hilarious one-liners in their signatures.
One fertile category would be "best signature quip".

Feel free to nominate yourself.