[comp.org.usenix] USENIX terminal room

jsq@longway.TIC.COM (John S. Quarterman) (06/29/88)

Due to the last minute acquisition of some terminals from the University
of California at Berkeley and the loan of some Telebit Trailblazer modems
by Telebit Corporation, there was a terminal room open during the last
two days of the San Francisco USENIX Conference.  This one was somewhat
unorganized, due to its quick construction, but appeared popular, nonetheless.
There is a good possibility that this facility will also be available at
the next conference, in February in San Diego.  Suggestions welcome;
discussion in this newsgroup would be useful.

I'd like to thank Mike Ballard and Telebit Corporation and the people at
UCB who loaned their terminals:  this wouldn't have happened without them.
Also Marc Teitlebaum, Sonya Neufer, and Shane McCarron for arrangements,
and Judy DesHarnais for putting up with us.

John S. Quarterman
Director, USENIX

dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (06/30/88)

From article <202@longway.TIC.COM>, by jsq@longway.TIC.COM (John S. Quarterman):
> Due to the last minute acquisition of some terminals from the University
> of California at Berkeley and the loan of some Telebit Trailblazer modems
> by Telebit Corporation, there was a terminal room open during the last
> two days of the San Francisco USENIX Conference.  This one was somewhat
> unorganized, due to its quick construction, but appeared popular, nonetheless.
> There is a good possibility that this facility will also be available at
> the next conference, in February in San Diego.  Suggestions welcome;
> discussion in this newsgroup would be useful.

Yes, this was quite helpful. I'd like to suggest though that if possible,
a local number to a local site with something like a telnet shell would
be useful for folks on the internet. I had made siteseeing (no pun intended)
trips to local universities to do some telneting.

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!dave {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd4@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133        \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: Box 413 EMS E380, Milw WI 53201

muller@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Keith Muller) (06/30/88)

UCSD is a local call away from the San Diego conference hotel. Something
will be worked out...
	Keith Muller
	University of California, San Diego

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (06/30/88)

Terminal rooms have been available at DECUS Symposia for quite a while now and
are very sucessful and useful.  Recently they've been open from 7:30 am
until 11PM for most of the conference.  10 minute or so limits are loosely
enforced.

Sure beats lugging a luggable terminal across country.

Fred

paradis@encore.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (06/30/88)

dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>Yes, this was quite helpful. I'd like to suggest though that if possible,
>a local number to a local site with something like a telnet shell would
>be useful for folks on the internet. I had made siteseeing (no pun intended)
>trips to local universities to do some telneting.

???????

Uh, how about visiting one of the many booths at the vendor exhibit that
were on the local ethernet?  Several of said booths were gatewayed to
the internet.  It wasn't too hard for me to log in to multimax.arpa from
the vendor show... internet PERFORMANCE was another matter entirely,
though 8-(.  But you would've gotten that anyway whether you logged in
from the vendor floor or from a local university.

Still, the terminal room was a pretty good idea.  Future suggestions
include (1) a sufficient number of terminals for reasonable use (maybe a
dozen or so, if possible) and (2) 24-hour access (I don't know if the
terminal room at this USENIX had that or not, but I noticed that operating
hours weren't posted).

On an unrelated matter:  what was the final registration count?

--
Jim Paradis, Encore Computer
(.signature undergoing renovations. Please pardon our appearance.)