[comp.org.usenix] Usenix distribution tapes

paradis@encore.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (07/29/88)

In article <158@usenix.UUCP> peter@usenix.UUCP (Peter H. Salus) writes:
>Individual members of USENIX who wish to obtain a copy of the tape
>may request it from the Association Office, which will then send the
>requestor a "Tape Release Form."  (etc.)

Hmmm... this is interesting.  When I was at Usenix, I picked up a
tape release form only to sigh in resignation when it said in a big
box at the top, "CORPORATE, INSTITUTIONAL, AND SUPPORTING MEMBERS
ONLY".  Nice to know that mere mortals can get the tapes too, but
it would also have been nice to have had forms for individual members
available at Usenix.

For that matter, I have the 4.3BSD manual order form in front of me,
and it too says: "The USENIX Association is proud to announce that it
will be sponsoring production of the 4.3BSD UNIX Manuals for its
Institutional and Supporting members."  Once again, it APPEARS as
though individual members are excluded from ordering the manuals.
Is this correct, or am I reading too much into the form?

On the topic of membership:  I paid the extra $20 for Usenix membership
along with my Usenix conference registration, but I haven't heard
anything  yet.  When will those membership numbers be mailed out
(so I can get my hot little hands on a tape and some manuals)?

--
Jim Paradis, Encore Computer
(.signature undergoing renovations. Please pardon our appearance.)

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (08/01/88)

In article <3410@encore.UUCP> paradis@encore.UUCP (Jim Paradis) writes:

>For that matter, I have the 4.3BSD manual order form in front of me,
>and it too says: "The USENIX Association is proud to announce that it
>will be sponsoring production of the 4.3BSD UNIX Manuals for its
>Institutional and Supporting members."  Once again, it APPEARS as
>though individual members are excluded from ordering the manuals.
>Is this correct, or am I reading too much into the form?

     This was the case in the past.  In fact, I remember ordering 4.2 BSD
manuals while at Bellcore.   Because Bellcore was an institutional member
this was possible.  However, there was only one person within the entire
company who was authorized to sign the form!

     In the September/October, 1987 issue of ;login: on page 10 the
announcement was made that 4.3 manuals are now available to *all*
USENIX members.  I do believe that you must also be a holder of a
UNIX (tm)/32V license, or some derivative of it.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

peter@usenix.UUCP (Peter H. Salus) (08/02/88)

In article <3410@encore.UUCP>, paradis@encore.UUCP (Jim Paradis) writes:
> In article <158@usenix.UUCP> peter@usenix.UUCP (Peter H. Salus) writes:
> >Individual members of USENIX who wish to obtain a copy of the tape
> >may request it from the Association Office, which will then send the
> >requestor a "Tape Release Form."  (etc.)
>
> Hmmm... this is interesting.  When I was at Usenix, I picked up a
> tape release form only to sigh in resignation when it said in a big
> box at the top, "CORPORATE, INSTITUTIONAL, AND SUPPORTING MEMBERS
> ONLY".  Nice to know that mere mortals can get the tapes too, but
> it would also have been nice to have had forms for individual members
> available at Usenix.

	Well, of course, you are right.  But this is because
	the USENIX Board voted to make the C++ tape available
	to members for $125 at their meeting in San Francisco.
	While I admit to some supernatural powers, I am unable
	to predict actions of the Board prior to the meeting.
	I therefore neglected to have new forms printed.  Of
	course, that's why I posted the information.  There is
	now a special release form for the C++ tape.

> For that matter, I have the 4.3BSD manual order form in front of me,
> and it too says: "The USENIX Association is proud to announce that it
> will be sponsoring production of the 4.3BSD UNIX Manuals for its
> Institutional and Supporting members."  Once again, it APPEARS as
> though individual members are excluded from ordering the manuals.
> Is this correct, or am I reading too much into the form?

	You must have an old form.  It is nearly a year since
	4.3BSD manuals were made available to all members.  The
	form that appeared in ;login: in the September/October
	1987 issue (and every issue since) made it clear that
	as a result of negotiations with both AT&T and the
	Regents of the University of California, the Association
	could now sell manuals to its membership.

> On the topic of membership:  I paid the extra $20 for Usenix membership
> along with my Usenix conference registration, but I haven't heard
> anything  yet.  When will those membership numbers be mailed out
> (so I can get my hot little hands on a tape and some manuals)?

	It will take some additional time to process all
	those who ticked off the appropriate box on the
	San Francisco registration form, because nearly a
	thousand folks did so, double Atlanta and nearly double the
	Phoenix numbers.  Send in your order.  If you are a member,
	we'll figure it out.  (Incidentally, membership numbers
	appear on the ;login: mailing labels (*except* for the
	990 new ones).

> --
> Jim Paradis, Encore Computer
> (.signature undergoing renovations. Please pardon our appearance.)

Peter H. Salus
Executive Director