[comp.org.usenix] C++ considered disenchanting

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (10/15/88)

The USENIX C++ Conference is coming up next week.
As the person who instigated the first USENIX C++
Conference/Workshop last year, and, in its early
stages, this conference, I want to tell you why
last June I bowed out of my involvement with the
upcoming conference.  I pulled away from the C++
conferences because I became disenchanted with C++.

I used to be enthusiastic about C++ because it
offered new and wonderful expressive power in the
form of object-oriented programming features with
the implication that by providing these features
as extensions to C, we can easily build on what we
already know and ease into new power.

Sounds nice, but it doesn't seem to work that
way.  C++ continues to amaze me with how hairy and
complex it is.  I want a higher level language that
is easy to read, relieves me of details, and lets
me get on with the problem level.  I don't see C++
answering that desire.

Yes, strongly-typed object orientation seems like
the right direction, but it can be a lot nicer than
C++.

 --dave yost

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (10/19/88)

In article <441@grand.UUCP>, day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:

> Yes, strongly-typed object orientation seems like
> the right direction, but it can be a lot nicer than
> C++.

Funny, I had the same feelings and read Bertrand Meyer's book about
Eiffel. Seems to me like one of the best oo languages available today.
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
Tel: +46 758-202 50   Fax: +46 758-197 20

daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) (10/23/88)

In article <328@pvab.UUCP> robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
>Funny, I had the same feelings and read Bertrand Meyer's book about
>Eiffel. Seems to me like one of the best oo languages available today.

With the (possible) exception of Ada, the main thing that gets people to
move towards a new language is the availability of a cheap workable
implementation.  C came with your Unix system, C++ has the cheap site
license and a free G++.

Eiffel, which looks interesting, has one implementation, a real-priced
commericial product.  The same is basically true of Euclid, which 5 years
ago looked as interesting as Modula-2.  Modula-3, for which we've just
seen some propaganda, is also not available.

AT&T did a very smart thing with c++, getting a seed implementation out
cheaply to build a core user base.  Others might take a lesson.

-dB

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (10/30/88)

In article <442@gonzo.UUCP>, daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:

> With the (possible) exception of Ada, the main thing that gets people to
> move towards a new language is the availability of a cheap workable
> implementation.  C came with your Unix system, C++ has the cheap site
> license and a free G++.
>
> Eiffel, which looks interesting, has one implementation, a real-priced
> commericial product.

Interactive charges a lot of money for the Eiffel compiler and tools.
But there are people out there who are working on other implementations
of Eiffel as well... At least one of them is said to be PD or at least
freely available.
--
EUnet: rclaeson@erbe.se   ARPAnet: rclaeson%erbe.se@uunet.uu.net

bertrand@hub.ucsb.edu (Bertrand Meyer) (10/31/88)

In article <335@pvab.UUCP>, robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:

> Interactive charges a lot of money for the Eiffel compiler and tools.

	Just how much money constitutes ``a lot of money'' is a matter of opinion
and you are free to have your own. Just two comments for the record:

1	- Eiffel is a commercial product; its developers have neither the
	resources of a giant corporation nor the government funds which would
	permit them to indulge in dumping. However we believe our prices are
	quite reasonable when compared to other CASE tools and to other
	commercial implementations of object-oriented languages. For academic
	users, cheap licenses are available.

2	- Whatever individual opinions may be, I would hate to let the idea
	that ``Eiffel is great but only rich people can afford it'' become part
	of accepted wisdom. The net is not the appropriate place to post a price
	list but I urge any interested party to get concrete pricing information
	from the appropriate source.

-- Bertrand Meyer

Interactive Software Engineering, 270 Storke Road Suite 7
Goleta CA 93117 - Phone 805-685-1006, Fax 805-685-6869

In Europe: Societe des Outils du Logiciel
Centre d'Affaires 3MPP, 4 rue Rene Barthelemy 92120 Montrouge France
Phone (33 - 1) 46 57 13 36 or 42 53 65 82 - Fax (33 - 1) 46 57 01 03

Note: Best E-mail addresses willl soon (Mid-November) be bertrand@eiffel.COM
and eiffel!bertrand@uunet.UU.NET. Current one will still work.