[comp.org.usenix] Winter Usenix; Getting around San Diego...

muller@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Keith Muller) (12/20/88)

For those of you making arrangements for the winter 1989 Usenix in San Diego:

San Diego is typical of many southern California cities and is spread out
over a large geographical area with limited public transportation.
The Winter USENIX is in an area that has a large number of hotels, but is not
typical of San Diego in general. There is a lot to see and do in San Diego,
but it is not usually within walking distance of the hotel. If you plan on
spending some time touring around San Diego either sightseeing or dining
outside of the conference hotel area, you probably want to consider obtaining
a rental car.

	Keith Muller
	University of California, San Diego

knutson@marconi.sw.mcc.com (Jim Knutson) (12/21/88)

Would someone in the San Diego area list some attractions that might
be worth seeing before or after USENIX.  It would help some of us
plan how long we want to stay and sight-see.  Also, any info on
prices and how long it takes to see the sight would be helpful.

What about clothing?  Can someone estimate weather for us?

Many thanks.
--
Jim Knutson
knutson@mcc.com

adam@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Adam Feigin) (12/21/88)

In article <1805@marconi.sw.mcc.com> knutson@marconi.sw.mcc.com.UUCP (Jim Knutson) writes:
>Would someone in the San Diego area list some attractions that might
>be worth seeing before or after USENIX.  It would help some of us
>plan how long we want to stay and sight-see.  Also, any info on
>prices and how long it takes to see the sight would be helpful.
>
>What about clothing?  Can someone estimate weather for us?

Okay, so I'm not from San Diego, but I've been there many times (I have
family that lives there) and know my way around pretty good....

If you've never been to the SD Zoo, than I suggest that you make a visit
there. It is by far the best Zoo in the US. You will need an entire day
to take it all in. You can do it in less, but you should catch some of
the special animal shows (I recommend the bird show) that they have
during the day and the early evening. I dont remember what the admission
was the last time I was there, but I imagine it's between 5-10 bucks.

Along the same lines, there's the Wild Animal Park (I think it's near
Poway, about 20 minutes N. of SD by freeway). Another thing not to miss.
You travel around on a tram which goes throughout the parks acreage,
where all sorts of beasts are...The best time to go is dusk, as thats
when the majority of animals are most active. Not sure on the price
here, either, but its probably about the same as the Zoo. Plan on about
a 2-3 hours there.

You can check out the USN mothball fleet in the harbor, if that turns
you on, and you can see the real 'Top Gun' school at Miramar Naval Air
Station (if they'll let you in, I don't know about 'tours').

There's also the Scripps Institute of Oceanography in La Jolla, Sea
World, The Reuben Fleet Air & Space Museum & Balboa Park
(I think its still there)

For the very brave, Tijuana is just a hop skip & a jump south. It's a
dirty city, but there are some good restaurants, and you are allowed to
bring back 1 litre of Al-Q-Hall per adult (it's real cheep down there).
Make sure to leave at least an hour coming back through customs..It's a
real nightmare !

The weather??
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
If I remember correctly, SD in the winter is fairly nice.
A rough guestimate would be temps somewhere between 50-60 during the
day, and into the low 40's at night....

Hope this is of help.....

						Adam

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/22/88)

In article <23670@cornell.UUCP> adam@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Adam Feigin) writes:

~  ... The Reuben Fleet Air & Space Museum & Balboa Park
~ (I think its still there)

Indeed it is.

~ If I remember correctly, SD in the winter is fairly nice.
~ A rough guestimate would be temps somewhere between 50-60 during the
~ day, and into the low 40's at night....

Close, but try 60-70 in the daytime and low 50s at night.  The only
possible bad weather, is rain.  Unlikely, but possible.

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.cts.com     ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (12/22/88)

In article <23670@cornell.UUCP> adam@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Adam Feigin) writes:
> . . . The Reuben Fleet Air & Space Museum & Balboa Park
>(I think its still there)

Obviously, a little confused. The museum mall in Balboa Park, just
south of the Zoo, has a number of museums, some rather spread out. On
the east end, you will find the Natural History Museum across from
the Reuben H. Fleet Space Theater and Science Center. Moving west, you
will pass the Hall of Champions, a sports museum. Further west is the
Museum of Fine Arts, with the Museum of Man beyond that.

To the south of the Museum of Fine Arts is a road leading past the
Spreckels Organ Pavilion and the Houses of Pacific Relations (a group
of buildings around a grassy yard, each representing a specific
country). At the end of the road is the Aerospace Museum. The whole
area is no more than a fifteen-minute walk wide at most.

	Sean Malloy
	Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc.arpa

hammond@cod.NOSC.MIL (John A. Hammond) (12/22/88)

You forgot the Museum of Photographic Arts and the Museum of
San Diego History, both near the Hall of Champions, and
Spanish Village just north of the Museum of Natural History.
The Museum of Natural History has a great display of San Diego
County Gems and Minerals, the variety of which is world class.
Spanish Village is a collection of arts and crafts people and
some of the local societies like the San Diego Mineral and Gem
Society.

On the Embarcadero, west end of Ash Street is the Maritime
Museum with the Star of India, oldest iron sailing ship
afloat, and the Berkeley, former San Francisco Bay ferryboat.

BTW, local "public transportation" is a joke.  There is a
light rail trolly from the AMTRAK station to the border (Tia
Juana) which is fun.  The AMTRAK service from Los Angeles is
good.

don@wiley.UUCP (Don Kark) (12/22/88)

In article <1805@marconi.sw.mcc.com> knutson@marconi.sw.mcc.com.UUCP (Jim Knutson) writes:
>Would someone in the San Diego area list some attractions that might
>be worth seeing before or after USENIX.  It would help some of us
>plan how long we want to stay and sight-see.  Also, any info on
>prices and how long it takes to see the sight would be helpful.

The Navy (actually volunteers) gives tours of the aircraft carriers on
weekends when they are docked.  All you need to do is call the public
relations people at the North Island Naval base.  They give the tours
on Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays.  Be warned, though, you can't just
walk up to the gate and get in on a weekend.  You need to apply for a
pass by the Wednesday before.  You can apply by phone.  The price is
free (can't beat that!) and the tour takes a couple hours.

I never got a chance to go, but I set up a tour for my brother and he
loved it!   USENIX may be my chance!

Here's some information I've gathered on the tours:

    Name:                    Naval Air Station (North Island)
    Work Phone:              (619) 437-6011 (main)
			     (619) 437-7661 (pub rel.)
	                     (619) 437-5825 x7881 (USS Constellation)
    Remarks:                 Tours Sat, Sun 9-11 and 2-4
			     Call by Wed. before to get base pass

Have Fun!

					-- Don
Don Kark                        |  {cit-vax,trwrb,uunet}!wiley!don
TRW Inc.                        |  wiley!don@csvax.caltech.edu
Redondo Beach, CA               |  don@wiley.uucp

bhoule@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Bill Houle) (12/23/88)

In article <218@serene.UUCP> rfarris@serene.cts.com (Rick Farris) writes:

>> If I remember correctly, SD in the winter is fairly nice.
>> A rough guestimate would be temps somewhere between 50-60 during the
>> day, and into the low 40's at night....
>
>Close, but try 60-70 in the daytime and low 50s at night.  The only
>possible bad weather, is rain.  Unlikely, but possible.

How about a compromise?  San Diego is famous for the phrase "night
and morning low clouds" (local weathermen [weatherpersons?] use it
daily).  During the winter months, these clouds sometimes refuse to
burn off, making it slightly gray and overcast the entire day.

If it is sunny and the clouds burn away, expect the temperature to
average about 68-70.  If the clouds remain, temps will be lower,
maybe sub-60, but rarely below the speed limit (55 :).  Nighttime
temps will vary depending on where you stay (coastal, inland, etc),
but "low 50s" is an accurate estimate.  Regardless, you won't be
needing your parka....

Not a weatherman, just
Bill

PS: We just had some rain these past few weeks, so maybe we've been
weatherproofed.  Of course, Jan-Feb usually (droughts and dry spells
not withstanding) implies snow in the local mountains, which implies
rain everywhere else.  Maybe we can post a weatherwatch as the time
draws nearer?

muller@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Keith Muller) (12/23/88)

A few notes:

	1) BRING RAINGEAR! Although the chance is small, this is the only time
	   in the year it rains.
	2) Plan on 50-60 during the day. However it is quite possible to have
	   70's (or hopefully higher) during the day. The Town and Country
	   has a large pool, so bring your swim-gear and hope for warm
	   weather.
	3) If you are going to Usenix just for the conference, you can survive
	   without a rental car. The dining and area guide that will be in
	   the registration packet is set up by distance from conference hotel.
	4) There are several good day trips such as to Julian or to
	   Anza-Borrego. San Diego bookstores have several good guides on
	   things to do (hiking, historical places.....).

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (12/23/88)

> How about a compromise?  San Diego is famous for the phrase "night
> and morning low clouds" (local weathermen [weatherpersons?] use it
> daily).

In the early 1970's, the radio weathercaster for KNX,
up the coast in Los Angeles, got so tired of the daily
	Night and morning low clouds, clearing by mid-day.  Highs in the
	mid-70's, overnight lows in the lower 50's.  The Air Pollution
	Control District predicts light to moderate eye irritation in the
	basin.  And there are no storm warnings between Point Concep[ct]ion
	and the Mexican border.
incantation that reports started including acronyms such as NAMLC.
(The temperature range above has been translated to San Diego.)

Or, as my friend who's a meteorologist's offspring puts it:
		Climate is what you expect.
		Weather is what you get.
		San Diego only has climate.
--
	Arthur David Olson    ado@ncifcrf.gov    ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

Lawrence_H_Greenwald@cup.portal.com (12/26/88)

If you're headed for the zoo and are into model trains, don't forget to stop
at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum. 4 large operational (that's the big
thing!) layouts in about 22,000 square feet making it the largest museum of
its type in the USA!

The museum is in the Casa de Balboa about a half-mile walk south of the zoo.

Open Wed-Sun 11:00-5:00, admission is $1. Very much worth it.

Of course, I am a member of one of the participating groups, so my opinions
are definitely given to me by the board of directors of the museum. Make them
yours now.  (BTW, 8^)>)

Larry Greenwald  (UUCP:  {backbone}!crash!pnet01!lgreen)
                 (PORTAL:Lawrence_H_Greenwald@cup.portal.com)