[comp.org.usenix] What to see at the summer Usenix conf.?

cratz@icldata.UUCP (Tony Cratz) (04/20/89)

Well with the summer Usenix conference coming up the question is...
what is there to do and see while at the conference?

Might as well post the answers seeing that there may be a number of
people with the same questions.

--
			"Looks like plant food to me"

Tony Cratz 	work phone: (408) 982-3585
UUCP: ames!versatc!icldata!cratz
Snail: ICL Datachecker, 800 Central Expressway MS 33-36, Santa Clara, Ca 95052

karen@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Karen Petraska) (04/21/89)

In article <4361@icldata.UUCP> cratz@icldata.UUCP (Tony Cratz) writes:
>Well with the summer Usenix conference coming up the question is...
>what is there to do and see while at the conference?

There are many things to do while in Baltimore.  Downtown Baltimore (where
Usenix is being held) is situated on a branch of river which leads to the
Chesapeake Bay.  Most of the hotels housing Usenix participants are within a
few blocks walking distance of the harbor area, and the Hyatt and Sheraton
both face the waterfront.  Most of the following places are within walking
distance (or short trip via public transit) of the harbor area.

1)  "Harborplace" is a fun place to visit, even for locals.  It is made up of
two buildings which face the water, and houses many little shops, clothing
stores, walk-away eateries and sit-down restaurants.

2) The Maryland Science Center contains visual and interactive displays of
scientific principles and information about our changing environment, etc.
The Science Center also has a planetarium, and a 5 story theatre called
"IMAX" which I have not been to, but I've heard is impressive.

3) Be sure to go to the "Top of the World".  Take the elevator to the top of
Baltimore's World Trade Center.  You can see all of Baltimore from here
(there are maps with pointers to tell you what/where the famous/historic
places are).

4) The National Aquarium.

5) Little Italy is a very ethnic Italian community, and the best place in
town to get Italian food.  Many restaurants there, and everyone has his own
opinion of the best.

6) The Brokerage is Baltimore's latest addition to nightlife.  Visit
The Fishmarket (a mall-like collection of theme bars and all types of music),
Baltimore's Original Sports Bar (televises many popular sporting events and
has places to shoot pool, baskets, etc. and sometimes even a volleyball court),
Ltl Ditty's [pronounced 'little ditties'] (my personal favorite, a sing-along
 piano bar), Fat Tuesday's (for Cajun style drinks and atmosphere)...  just
part of a very long list.

7) Fort McHenry, where Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner

8) Good seafood restaurants include The Rusty Scupper, The Charthouse and
Phillips Harborplace.  Be sure to try Maryland steamed crabs!

9) There are many boat trips of all lenghts and prices that leave hourly/daily
from the harbor.  Check with the concierge at your hotel or the harbormaster's
pavilion for times and prices.

If you have a car, you might want to visit the following places:

1) Go uptown and watch the Baltimore Orioles play (if they are in town)

2) Go to Washington D.C., there is plenty of stuff to see there (monuments,
Smithsonian, etc) and its only about 45-60 minutes away.

3) The Baltimore Zoo or the Washington National Zoo

4) Annapolis, the capitol of Maryland, relatively small harbor city.

These are the main highlights that I can think of quickly.  Baltimore is
very tourist oriented, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding maps/
directions to any of these places.  Enjoy!

Karen Petraska, Systems
karen@umbc3.umbc.edu

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (04/21/89)

In article <4361@icldata.UUCP> cratz@icldata.UUCP (Tony Cratz) writes:
>Well with the summer Usenix conference coming up the question is...
>what is there to do and see while at the conference?

There is a lot to do in Baltimore.  Off the top of my head, there is:

	The National Aquarium
	The Baltimore Science Center
	The Train Museum
	The US Constellation (?)
	The Snark (a sub)

	... etc ...

And, Washington DC is only an hour south.

Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
..{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr        | 9990 Lee Highway
Sysop, Fido 109/101 The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
Sysop, Fido 109/103 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Mark J. Bradakis) (04/22/89)

In article <851@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:

>And, Washington DC is only an hour south.

Is this a bug or a feature?

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"It's fun because it's useless."  C.A.R. Hoare

hart@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM (Rod Hart) (04/22/89)

Checkout the following:

	The Fish Market - a mall like structure with entertainment
	for every taste. Within 6 or 7 blocks of the show.

	Phillips Res. - the best seafood this side of heaven.

	The O's - the new Baltimore Orioles may be in town, I don't
	have a schedule but they are definitely worth catching. You
	can catch a bus or cab and before you know it be at Memorial
	Stadium. While there checkout the "Castle on the hill" across
	the street from the Stadium. It is the campus of the Baltimore
	City College, one of the oldest and best public liberal arts
	high schools in the country.

	The National Aquarium - Just  down the street (2 blocks) from
	the show.

	The Maryland Science Center - Just a few blocks from the show.

	Take the harbour tour and stop off at Ft. Mchenry, the birthplace
	of our National Anthem. The boat takes off from a pier that is
	1 block from the show.

	Tour the city and  see  what the "Land of Pleasant Living" look
	like.

	Take in a Lacrosse game, we have the best in the country. Both
	John Hopkins and U. of Maryland are close enough for the true
	Lacrosse  fan.

	Want a steak, try the "Chart House". It is within walking distance
	of the show.

The Inner Harbour is loaded! I could go on and on and on.... Oh yes,
it is  VERY  safe and not like some neighboring large cities. I hosted
a National Meeting there just last week and my guest loved it.
--
Signed by: Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)
	   Minicomputer Technical Support District

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/22/89)

And Babe Ruth's house.  (He no longer lives tehre, of course...)

Fred

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (04/25/89)

> 1) Go uptown and watch the Baltimore Orioles play (if they are in town)

The division-leading (as I write this) Orioles are indeed in town.

The schedule:

	Tuesday, June 13 at 7:35 PM:  Orioles versus New York (Steinbrenner
		keeps yanking the rug out from under folks which must be why
		they're called) Yankees.  Student Discount night; high school
		and college students may purchase upper reserved seats for
		$3.50.  Tickets available at gate E6, starting 6:05 PM.
	Wednesday, June 14 at 7:35 PM:  Orioles versus New York Yankees.
		Painter's cap night; each adult age 15 and over receives one.
		With any luck they'll feature the new, ornithologically correct
		Orioles bird.
	Thursday, June 15 at 7:35 PM:  Orioles versus New York Yankees.
	Friday, June 16 at 8:05 PM:  Orioles versus 1988 American League
		Champion Oakland Athletics (for which the Silicon Valley
		contingent should feel free to root).  Each adult age 15 and
		over receives a two-and-one-half quart pitcher
		(Ballard or Milacki, take your pick).
	Saturday, June 17 (Icelandic Constitution Day) at 7:35 PM:
		Orioles versus Oakland Athletics.  This is a "Fantastic Fans"
		night, when folks who've signed up with the Baltimore Sun's
		Orioles Fan Club will be out in numbers to take advantage of
		their discount tickets.  A great chance to see the local folk.
	Sunday, June 18 at 1:35 PM:  Orioles versus Oakland Athletics.
		Each adult age 15 and over receives a travel mug; just the
		right last-minute addition to the luggage you've already packed
		for your trip home.

Ticket prices:
	$9.50	lower box seats
	$8.50	mezzanine box seats
	$8.50	terrace box seats
	$7.00 	upper box seats
	$6.50	lower/upper reserved seats
	$5.50	lower reserved grandstand
	$4.75	adult general admission
	$2.50	general admission, children (12 and under) and seniors
	$3.50	general admission, students

For more information call the stadium ticket office, (301) 338-1300
(open Monday through Saturday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time).
Groups are (of course) welcome, though I don't know if the folks
handling the conference plan to set anything up.  For a group of 40 or more,
they'll put the Usenix name up in lights.
--
		Mars:  USSR, 2 tries in 1980s; Canada, 0 tries ever.
	Arthur David Olson    ado@ncifcrf.gov    ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

adamm@necis.UUCP (Adam Moskowitz) (04/26/89)

In article <4361@icldata.UUCP>, cratz@icldata.UUCP (Tony Cratz) wrote:
> Well with the summer Usenix conference coming up the question is...
> what is there to do and see while at the conference?

Well, several people have posted most of the good things to do or see, so
I'll just throw in a few more eatery suggestions:

  Connoleys (sp?) - on Pier 4 (5?) a few blocks East of the convention
  center: very good seafood, crabcakes, steamed crabs, etc. Moderate
  prices, usually depending on what's fresh that day.

  Tio Pepe's - downtown baltimore, check the phonebook: good Spanish
  (maybe Mexican?) food; not tacos & burritos, but "fancy" food &
  great flan! Expensive.

  Bertha's - Fells Point, 1-2 miles East of the convention center: home
  of the legendary Bertha's Mussels, a small (!) bar with a 10 table
  restaurant in the back. Reasonable prices.

  Pollack Johnny's - on "The Block", Baltimore Street just North of the
  convention center (and East by 2 or 3 blocks): great Polish sausages,
  but guaranteed heartburn. Also, it's in the middle of all the strip
  joints, so it's not the best of neighborhoods (but not that bad, esp.
  if in a group of 3 or more). Cheap on the wallet, expensive on the
  GI tract. :-)

  Hausner's - East Baltimore somewhere, check the phone book: good food,
  somewhat German "accent", usually very good seafood. Very crowded, they
  only take reservations for 5 or more, otherwise you stand in line. It's
  worth going if only for the experience - you stand in line for a while,
  then you go inside and it's still crowded. It might not be so bad, but
  every inch of wall space is covered with paintings. There's a gallery
  upstairs you can tour while waiting for your food to arrive. A bit on
  the expensive side, but worth it (or it was the last time I was there
  about 5 years ago).

  Sissons - South Baltimore, walking distance from the convention center,
  check the phone book for address: good "Cajun" food. Moderate to
  expensive.
--
Adam S. Moskowitz	            ...!(backbone)!{necntc,encore}!necis!adamm

       There comes a time in the lifecycle of every product when it
        is necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production.

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (04/26/89)

In article <1629@wasatch.utah.edu> mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Mark J. Bradakis) writes:
>In article <851@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>
>>And, Washington DC is only an hour south.
>
>Is this a bug or a feature?

Depends on your OS.  Your milage may vary.  Offer void where prohibited.

bsmart@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Bob Smart) (04/26/89)

In article <9100@elsie.UUCP>, ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
> > 1) Go uptown and watch the Baltimore Orioles play (if they are in town)
>
> The division-leading (as I write this) Orioles are indeed in town.
Yea, Go Birds !! still leading and over .500

> The schedule:
>
> 	Tuesday, June 13 at 7:35 PM:  Orioles versus New York Yankees
> 	Friday, June 16 at 8:05 PM:  Orioles versus  Oakland A's
>
> For more information call the stadium ticket office, (301) 338-1300
> (open Monday through Saturday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time).

 Any game with The Yankees is a big draw so expect the crowds to be good size
also with student night expect a lot of wild folk in the upper deck
( John Hopkins is a short walk away )

The A's should be a good draw also. I went to an A's game last year and a lot
of the first base side was taken up with A's fans.
For seating purposes The home dugout is on Third base side , visitors on
first base. The upper deck is entirrely in the open, the worst afternoon sun is
on the first base side ( as usual for ball parks) The upper deck extends to
just past the foulpoles on each side.
And if you don't follow the O's to much remember that in
1992 we will be getting a new stadium ( grr...  sore subject).

also there is a toll free ticket number: 1-800 950-2473

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)

andrew@frip.wv.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) (04/28/89)

Looks like I'll be there all day Sunday (a Saturday stay-over to get
the cheap airline fare), and won't have a rental car (to save more
money).  Is there a convenient way to get to Washington DC for the day
and back that evening?  Maybe a train?  (We west coast people don't
have much experience with trains ...)

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!orca!frip!andrew)      [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

bsmart@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Bob Smart) (04/28/89)

In article <1026@necis.UUCP>, adamm@necis.UUCP (Adam Moskowitz) writes:
> In article <4361@icldata.UUCP>, cratz@icldata.UUCP (Tony Cratz) wrote:
>
>   Tio Pepe's - downtown baltimore, check the phonebook: good Spanish
>   (maybe Mexican?) food; not tacos & burritos, but "fancy" food &
>   great flan! Expensive.

Tio Pepes is ( or was I haven't been there for years now ) Spanish.

>   Pollack Johnny's - on "The Block", Baltimore Street just North of the
>   convention center (and East by 2 or 3 blocks): great Polish sausages,
>   but guaranteed heartburn. Also, it's in the middle of all the strip
>   joints, so it's not the best of neighborhoods (but not that bad, esp.
>   if in a group of 3 or more). Cheap on the wallet, expensive on the
>   GI tract. :-)

Pollock Johnnys a Baltimore tradition. I think they have stopped having
the annual Pollock eating contest :-( also I believe that the Block
location ( along with the most of the Block ) is history. I now go to
the Lexington Market location, which is itself a unique eatery.

Lexington Market is an oldfashioned city market. each stall is independently
owned and operated. If it can be eaten you can get it there. When we're
in Baltimore My wife & I stop there and wander around trying to decide
what to eat. I always end up with 2 ( or 3 if we pass by the stall again)
Pollocks while she is more changeable, but usually ends it with cheesecake
from one of the bakeries there.

Dont forget Phillips at the inner Harbor. Phillips was a tradition when
it was only in Ocean City. People used to stand in line for hours to
get in for crabs etc. They serve traditional Chesepeake bay fare. Expect
a wait a lot of locals will be there to.

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)

mlindsey@x102c.harris-atd.com (Lindsey MS 04396) (04/28/89)

In article <11345@tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM> andrew@frip.wv.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>Looks like I'll be there all day Sunday (a Saturday stay-over to get
>the cheap airline fare), and won't have a rental car (to save more
>money).  Is there a convenient way to get to Washington DC for the day
>and back that evening?  Maybe a train?  (We west coast people don't
>have much experience with trains ...)

There is a transport service called the Washington Flyer (or something like
that) that runs shuttles between Washington-National Airport, Dulles Airport,
and BWI (Baltimore-Washington Int.) Airport for a fairly low price.

So if you take the Flyer from BWI to Washington National, then you can take
the subway from Washington-National to all the major attractions in DC (the
White House, Smithsonian and other art galleries, Capitol building, Washington
monument, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, etc.).

BTW, the Pavillion (the Old Post Office) is a good place to get almost any
kind of food you might want for minor $.  In addition it is near almost all
the attrtactions listed above, and usually has good live music for free in
the food courtyard.

------------------

"The only difference between a madman and myself is that I am not mad"   S. Dali
"If the shoe fits, buy it!"	Imelda Marcos.
Steve Lindsey		|-)	uunet!x102a!mlindsey
(407) 727-5893		:-)	mlindsey@x102a.harris-atd.com

karen@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Karen Petraska) (04/28/89)

In article <11345@tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM> andrew@frip.wv.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>money).  Is there a convenient way to get to Washington DC for the day
>and back that evening?  Maybe a train?  (We west coast people don't
>
>  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!orca!frip!andrew)      [UUCP]
>                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

Amtrak offers train service daily from Baltimore to D.C. and back.  According
to the current time-table, on Sundays there are trains leaving Baltimore's
Penn Station (a short cab ride from where Usenix is being held) at 7:00am,
10:05am and 10:45am (there are more times than this, I just picked a few).
Travel time is approximately 45 minutes to an hour.  There are trains leaving
D.C. for Baltimore at 5:20pm, 6:30pm, 7:20pm and 8:05pm to name only a few.
There are two Amtrak stations in D.C., Union Station and New Carrollton.  Both
stations are also on the D.C. Metro line, so you can get just about anywhere
you would like to go.  Depending on the time you travel, a round-trip ticket
costs between $19 and $25.  These times and prices may change between now and
Usenix, call Amtrak when you get to Baltimore (539-2112) for specifics.

Karen Petraska, Systems
University of Maryland Baltimore County
karen@umbc3.umbc.edu

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) (04/29/89)

This turned up in junk here and I thought it should be sent to the net.

From umbc3!charles Thu Apr 27 21:11:06 EDT 1989
Article 9957 of junk:
Newsgroups: um.general,dc.general
Subject: Re: Things for Usenix attendees to do while in Baltimore
Date: 26 Apr 89 13:37:46 GMT

In article <1937@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> karen@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Karen Petraska) writes:
>Usenix attendees to do/see while in Baltimore, someone sent me the following
>questions via mail:
>
>    From: tower@bu-it.BU.EDU
>    Could you recommend any:
>      - good natural food and/or vegetarian restaurants?
>      - places to rent a bicycle?
>      - good used book stores (especially Roman History and Computers)?
>    in Baltimore

     Mt. Washington Bike Shop rents All Terrain Bikes. They are at
     5813 Falls Road at Kelly Ave. This is about 5-6 mi. north of
     the city. Call 323-2788.

     Two good used bookstores are
            Kelmscott Book Shop
            32 W. 25th St.  235-6810

            Second Story Books
            3322 Greenmount Ave. (above 33rd st.)  467-4344

      Both have good selections, and Second Story does have a selection
      of computer books.

charles@umbc3.umbc.edu                   These are mine own words, and not
Charles E. Myers                         anyone else's.
DP Telecom Tech

    Also add Tales from the White Hart about a block north of Second Story
books which has a downstairs full of all new and recent SF including a
lot of british stuff that most stores don't carry, and an upstairs full
of used stuff.  By 12 get one free.
   Just a satisfied customer (except when the Visa bill comes).
   In fact that whole area is full of book stores.  The owners will be glad
to point you to more after you have bought all you want there.

Dana Carson
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group  Mail Stop 1615
UUCP: ...!uunet!umbc3!tron!carson
AT&T: (301) 765-3513
WIN: 285-3513

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (04/29/89)

In article <11345@tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM>, andrew@frip.wv.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) writes:
> Looks like I'll be there all day Sunday (a Saturday stay-over to get
> the cheap airline fare), and won't have a rental car (to save more
> money).  Is there a convenient way to get to Washington DC for the day
> and back that evening?  Maybe a train?

Amtrak trains to/from Washington, DC run more or less hourly from Baltimore's
Penn Station, which is located about 20 blocks from the Convention Center.
Once you get to DC, there's a Metro (subway) stop right in Union Station.
DC's Union Station is within walking distance of Capitol Hill, but you'll
want to use Metro to get elsewhere to the major monuments, etc.--unless
you really like walking.
--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:  tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

In article <1991@trantor.harris-atd.com>, mlindsey@x102c.harris-atd.com (Lindsey MS 04396) writes:

> There is a transport service called the Washington Flyer (or something like
> that) that runs shuttles between Washington-National Airport, Dulles Airport,
> and BWI (Baltimore-Washington Int.) Airport for a fairly low price.
>
> So if you take the Flyer from BWI to Washington National, then you can take
> the subway from Washington-National

Good grief, it's only 40 miles from Baltimore to Washington and you are
suggesting:

o	A $15 cab ride to BWI Airport from downtown Baltimore (10 miles);

o	A 30 mile plane flight between BWI and Washington National
--

mlindsey@x102c.harris-atd.com (Lindsey MS 04396) (05/01/89)

In article <546@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>In article <1991@trantor.harris-atd.com>, mlindsey@x102c.harris-atd.com (Lindsey MS 04396) writes:
>>
>> There is a transport service called the Washington Flyer (or something like
>> that) that runs shuttles between Washington-National Airport, Dulles Airport,
>> and BWI (Baltimore-Washington Int.) Airport for a fairly low price.
>
>Good grief, it's only 40 miles from Baltimore to Washington and you are
>suggesting:
>o	A $15 cab ride to BWI Airport from downtown Baltimore (10 miles);
>o	A 30 mile plane flight between BWI and Washington National

The shuttle I was suggesting uses mini-buses (like the rental car companies)
and used to be somewhat flexible in their routes.  I've used it a few times
before a couple of years ago and was fairly pleased.  As I remember, it was
cheaper than Amtrak and left more frequently.

Is there anyone in the DC area who can add more details?  If so I'm sure
there are many people short of $ who would appreciate the info.

-------------------------------

rcsh@yamnet.UUCP (The Remittance Man @ Delphi Information Systems) (05/02/89)

In article <1935@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, karen@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Karen Petraska) writes:

> 5) Little Italy is a very ethnic Italian community, and the best place in
> town to get Italian food.  Many restaurants there, and everyone has his own
> opinion of the best.

!!
I often think the food in Baltimore is less expensive, and better then DC
!!

> 6) The Brokerage is Baltimore's latest addition to nightlife.  Visit
> The Fishmarket (a mall-like collection of theme bars and all types of music),
> Baltimore's Original Sports Bar (televises many popular sporting events and
> has places to shoot pool, baskets, etc. and sometimes even a volleyball court)

!!
And for people who like real bars there is Fell's Point, or the Irish part
of town.
!!

> If you have a car, you might want to visit the following places:
>
> 1) Go uptown and watch the Baltimore Orioles play (if they are in town)

The Yankee's are playing the O's that week ... The O's are playing some
goood ball this season too....

> 2) Go to Washington D.C., there is plenty of stuff to see there (monuments,
> Smithsonian, etc) and its only about 45-60 minutes away.

More like 60-90 Minutes.

> These are the main highlights that I can think of quickly.  Baltimore is
> very tourist oriented, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding maps/
> directions to any of these places.  Enjoy!
>
> Karen Petraska, Systems
> University of Maryland, Baltimore County
> karen@umbc3.umbc.edu

rcsh@yamnet.UUCP (The Remittance Man @ Delphi Information Systems) (05/02/89)

In article <1026@necis.UUCP>, adamm@necis.UUCP (Adam Moskowitz) writes:

>   Tio Pepe's - downtown baltimore, check the phonebook: good Spanish
>   (maybe Mexican?) food; not tacos & burritos, but "fancy" food &
>   great flan! Expensive.

Spanish, Best spanish restaurant I've ever been too. Incredible food!
Coat required.

>   Bertha's - Fells Point, 1-2 miles East of the convention center: home
>   of the legendary Bertha's Mussels, a small (!) bar with a 10 table
>   restaurant in the back. Reasonable prices.

Fells Point is a kinda working class Riverwalk.

>   Hausner's - East Baltimore somewhere, check the phone book: good food,
>   somewhat German "accent", usually very good seafood. Very crowded, they
>   only take reservations for 5 or more, otherwise you stand in line. It's

 !!

Baltimore is a truly wonderful city, just ask John Waters or Barry Levinson!

--
Greg Noel [Gn] Delphi Information Systems, Westlake Vlg, Ca.
The food is bad, and the portions are small.  -W Allen

parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) (05/03/89)

In article <120@yamnet.UUCP> rcsh@yamnet.UUCP (The Remittance Man @ Delphi Information Systems) writes:
>In article <1935@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, karen@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Karen Petraska) writes:
>> 2) Go to Washington D.C., there is plenty of stuff to see there (monuments,
>> Smithsonian, etc) and its only about 45-60 minutes away.
>
>More like 60-90 Minutes.

No way.  I can easily drive from near downtown Baltimore to my office on
Capitol Hill in 45 minutes out of rush hour - maybe an hour at worst.
If it takes 90 mins., then you are taking a funny route - or its really
worst case.