[comp.org.usenix] 1990 Elections - Board of Directors

ellie@usenix.UUCP (Ellie Young) (12/12/89)

Here's information and a copy of the nominating committee's report
as it appeared in the most recent issue of ;login:.

     The biennial elections of the Association will be held in the Spring of
1990.

     After the D.C. Conference, nominations from the membership will remain
open until February 2, 1990.  The procedure for nominations by the membership
is a written statement of nomination signed by at least five (5) members in
good standing (or five separate nominations), to be submitted to the Executive
Director at the Association office, and received by noon, PST, February 2.
Please include a Candidate's Statement for inclusion with the ballots as well.

     Ballots will be sent to all paid-up members as of March 1, 1990, on or
about March 12.  Members will have until April 6 to return their ballots, in
the envelopes provided, to the Association office.  The results of the
election will be announced at the Anaheim Conference and in the May/June issue
of ;login:.

     The Board is comprised of eight directors, four of whom are ``at
large.''  The others are the President, Vice President, Secretary, and
Treasurer.  The balloting is preferential, with those candidates with the
largest number of votes being elected.  Newly elected directors will take
office immediately following the Anaheim conference in June.

Report of the Nominating Committee

     A nominating committee was chartered by the current Board of Directors in
accordance with the By-Laws of the Association to nominate a slate of
candidates for the upcoming election of Directors and Officers.  The
committee's charge was to ensure that there were at least as many suitable
candidates nominated as there are positions on the Board.  The committee
solicited suggestions for nominees, interviewed all of those suggested plus
several other people, and have nominated the people listed below.  All of
these nominees want to serve on the Board and have indicated to the committee
that they have the support of both their employers and families for the time
commitment involved.

     There are certainly many other qualified candidates.  The committee did
not attempt to nominate all of the potentially good Board members, but
nominated what it felt to be a good slate of candidates.  Any member of the
Association may be nominated by petition for any board position (see above
instructions).

The candidates nominated by the committee are:

        President        Steven C. Johnson, Stardent Computer
        President        Marshall Kirk McKusick, University of California
        Vice President   Michael D. O'Dell, Prisma, Inc.
        Secretary        Rob Kolstad, Prisma, Inc.
        Treasurer        Sharon Murrel, AT&T Bell Laboratories

        Director         Peter Collinson, Hillside Systems
        Director         Ed Gould, mt Xinu
        Director         Daniel Klein, Software Engineering Institute,
                                Carnegie Mellon University
        Director         Evi Nemeth, University of Colorado
        Director         Sonya D. Neufer, Canstar
        Director         Barry Shein, Software Tool and Die
        Director         Dave Taylor, Intuitive Systems
        Director         Alix Vasilatos, Open Software Foundation

Members of the  nominating committee are:

        Ed Gould, mt Xinu, Chair
        Tom Ferrin, Univ. of California, San Francisco
        Charlie Sauer, Dell Computer
        Wendy Thrash, University of Washington
        Pat Wilson, Consultant
        Elizabeth Zwicky, SRI International

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (12/13/89)

>  The [nominating]
>committee's charge was to ensure that there were at least as many suitable
>candidates nominated as there are positions on the Board.

Hmm... is this back-pedaling or semantic games?  From the minutes of the
Baltimore board meeting:
    \fBNominating Committee Suggestion\fP
    .in .5i
    .sp .5
    Kolstad expressed his concerns that reports from the nominating
    committee can be construed by the membership as endorsements rather
    than slot-filling.
    He suggested that the committee process all
    valid nomination petitions and produce timely lists of all
    legal candidates in its reports to the membership on elections.
    Nemeth said that if this is so, then what is the purpose of having
    a nominating committee?  All the Board present, except Kolstad,
    agreed that the nominating committee should be an endorser, and that
    the formal charge to the committeee is to find enough eligible
    people (decent candidates) to fill the slots.
    .in 0
The formal charge is to find decent candidates, but apparently the informal
charge was to get people the board liked?

For the record, IT WAS WRONG for the nominating committee to pick its
own chairman as a nominee.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) (12/13/89)

:>  The [nominating]

:
:For the record, IT WAS WRONG for the nominating committee to pick its
:own chairman as a nominee.
:	/r$
That was my reaction also.  Perhaps my thoughts were in a little more
colorful language.  Such a nomination reflects one of two things -- a
severe lack of qualified candidates willing to be nominated, or desire
to keep close control of the organization.  Since there was a fuss
about the nominations last year I would say that the whole operation
of the nominating committee this year reflects bad judgement.  The
board should have listened to Kolstad.
--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu              City College of New York

adamm@necis.UUCP (Adam Moskowitz) (12/14/89)

In article <296@usenix.UUCP>, ellie@usenix.UUCP (Ellie Young) wrote:
} Here's information and a copy of the nominating committee's report
} as it appeared in the most recent issue of ;login:.
} . . .
}         Director         Ed Gould, mt Xinu
} . . .
} Members of the  nominating committee are:
}
}         Ed Gould, mt Xinu, Chair

Did I read that right? Do the bylaws (charter, whatever) allow a member of
the nominating committee to run for office? Not to insult Ed, but isn't that
a bit of "conflict of interest"? Does anyone else feel it shouldn't be this
way? Can someone tell me how to get a copy of the bylaws?

Thanx,
AdamM
--
Adam S. Moskowitz	                  ...!uunet!harvard!necntc!necis!adamm

  "Women remember the first kiss, men remember the last." -- (I forget who)