[comp.org.usenix] Weather in Washington, DC

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (01/17/90)

Well, it is expected to be 65 degrees F in Washington today.  In the
60s tomorrow also.  (Yesterday it also got above 60.)  What does this
mean for the weather next week?  Not a blessed thing....  Bring snow
shoes. :-)

Fred

In article <2881@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>Well, it is expected to be 65 degrees F in Washington today.  In the
>60s tomorrow also.  (Yesterday it also got above 60.)  What does this
>mean for the weather next week?  Not a blessed thing....  Bring snow
>shoes. :-)

In fact, bring snowshoes, parkas, and survival rations.  Washingtonians,
this is a severe weather alert.  Usenix is in town, and that means a blizzard,
if not several!  Don't say we didn't warn you.    :-) :-) :-)
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (01/18/90)

In article <2881@decuac.DEC.COM>, avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:

> Well, it is expected to be 65 degrees F in Washington today.  In the
> 60s tomorrow also.  (Yesterday it also got above 60.)  What does this
> mean for the weather next week?  Not a blessed thing....  Bring snow
> shoes. :-)

Fred is quite correct.  By long-standing tradition, Usenix in D.C.  is
generally accompanied by a snowstorm.  This dates back to at least
1984, when D.C Usenix was supposed to be in June, and Salt Lake City
Usenix in January.  These were switched, but the weather deities,
figuring that everyone was planning on going skiing during the Winter
Usenix, arranged for a surprise.  (In D.C. people generally go skiing
in their cars, generally at the sight of more than an inch of snow on
the ground.)

		--Steve Bellovin

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) (01/19/90)

In article <1990Jan17.174425.12657@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

Henry> In article <2881@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>Well, it is expected to be 65 degrees F in Washington today.  In the
>60s tomorrow also.  (Yesterday it also got above 60.)  What does this
>mean for the weather next week?  Not a blessed thing....  Bring snow
>shoes. :-)

Henry> In fact, bring snowshoes, parkas, and survival rations.  Washingtonians,
Henry> this is a severe weather alert.  Usenix is in town, and that means a blizzard,
Henry> if not several!  Don't say we didn't warn you.    :-) :-) :-)
Henry> --
Henry> 1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Henry> 1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Hmm.  I always thought it was /usr/group's (uh, excuse me, UniForum's) fault
that it snowed.  No need to blame USENIX unneccessarily. :-)

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>
Voice: +1 814 863 1142	FAX: +1 814 865 3176

pat@grebyn.com (Pat Bahn) (01/19/90)

>In fact, bring snowshoes, parkas, and survival rations.  Washingtonians,
>this is a severe weather alert.  Usenix is in town, and that means a blizzard,
>if not several!  Don't say we didn't warn you.    :-) :-) :-)

	Don't forget arctic tents, sleeping bags and camp stoves.
All hotel rooms book up with the people who refuse to drive six
blocks in 1 inch of snow and can't possibly conceive of walking.
All grocery stores are being emptied to, if you don't like frozen
sausage and peanut biscuits be prepared to go hungry.

Cameras and camcorders are good for comic relief when you go home.

Pat @ grebyn.com  | If the human mind was simple enough to understand,
301-948-8142      | We'd be too simple to understand it.