[comp.org.usenix] list inexpensive hotels and hostels for conferences

maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) (07/05/90)

I have noticed that the material that I get as a member of Usenix
about conferences and workshops only lists the *expensive* hotels
in the area. Most of them are either the Marriot, Hyatt, or the like.

I would like to propose to Usenix that they also list the YMCA's,
American Youth Hotels, and the like as well. In addition, since almost
all of the conferences have people from the local universities involved,
why not make arrangements to allow attendees to use the univiersity
dormatories. This should be particularly easy for those conferences
happening during the summer months when school is not in session and the
dormatories are not in use.

A local ham radio conference has done this with a university and it has
worked great. I am suprised that Usenix, which must have a lot of members
who are not backup up by corporate expense accounts, has not tried to do
this in the past.

Another suggestion is what a gathering of choruses did here a while back
and that is to arrange to have some of the attendees stay with local people
in their homes. This has the added benifit of allowing the members to know
each other better in an environment that is more pleasing than the plastic
large hotel one.

Mark A. Allyn  phone    206-773-8308 (day)  206-526-8852 (nite)
			206-773-1546
			206-773-8981        if all fails:
			206-773-2957        digital pager 206-986-5553

               US Mail  Boeing Company
                        Mail Stop 8Y-03
			P.O. Box 3777
			Seattle Wa. 98124

               Email    uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!maa

	       Ham      WA1SEY
	       Radio

dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) (07/07/90)

From article <1501@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, by maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn):

> I would like to propose to Usenix that they also list the YMCA's,
> American Youth Hotels, and the like as well. In addition, since almost
> all of the conferences have people from the local universities involved,
> why not make arrangements to allow attendees to use the univiersity
> dormatories. This should be particularly easy for those conferences
> happening during the summer months when school is not in session and the
> dormatories are not in use.

I would like to second your suggestion.

My employer doesn't pick up the tab for us anymore. (my boss picks up the
tab for himself, but what can I say...). So I booked a room at the Convention
Center Inn, which was a tad closer to the Marriott than the Inn at the Park,
and about $15 less per night as well. It was also clean and secure. I also
split the room with another usenix attendee from usenix.roomshare.

Sonya Neufer's creation of comp.org.usenix.roomshare (a few conferences ago)
aided me in sharing the room. Perhaps those of us who use that group for
future conferences can get other housing alternatives dealt with there.
I also try to get to a travel agent and run down the list of hotels near the
conference center before I come and see what I can save, although again it
would be helpful if someone in the area would do this in advance. Any
volunteers for Dallas?

--
Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT
AT&T:414-229-5133 USnail:Dave Rasmussen-CSD,Box 413 EMS380,Milwaukee,WI 53201

In article <4881@uwm.edu> dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>I also try to get to a travel agent and run down the list of hotels near the
>conference center before I come and see what I can save, although again it
>would be helpful if someone in the area would do this in advance. Any
>volunteers for Dallas?

There may be a problem doing this for Dallas:  the Grand Kempinski (sp?)
is off by itself, well away from any other hotels.  (The prime Dallas hotel
district is solidly booked for Uniforum... one disadvantage of trying to
put the winter conference in the same city as them.)  That's my recollection,
anyway -- it has been a while.
--
"Either NFS must be scrapped or NFS    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
must be changed."  -John K. Ousterhout |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Jerry Peek) (07/08/90)

In article <1501@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) writes:
> I have noticed that the material that I get as a member of Usenix
> about conferences and workshops only lists the *expensive* hotels
> in the area.

Even though I live in New York, I knew the Anaheim area well enough that
I matched my Entertainment '90 discount hotel lists to the Anaheim area,
and ended up with a $35/night room on Beach Blvd.  But then I got to
the convention center and found lots of motels advertising walk-in
prices around that amount.  If I could've known ahead of time...

If there is *one* person in each city who'd volunteer... to drive
around the area of the conference hotel one afternoon, looking for
cheaper places to stay... and post a list of motels and phone numbers
a few months before a conference... it would save a lot of people a
lot of $$.  Volunteers for Dallas?  Opryland?

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu, JDPEEK@SUNRISE.BITNET        +1 315 443-3995

P.S.  One of the best things about staying at a conference hotel is that
you can meet people at (and get kicked out of :-)) bars, hot tubs, etc.
But just because our rooms are a mile or two away doesn't mean we
couldn't stay at the conference hotel until late, anyhow.

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (07/09/90)

In article <3830@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Jerry Peek) writes:
   P.S.  One of the best things about staying at a conference hotel is
   that you can meet people at (and get kicked out of :-)) bars, hot
   tubs, etc.  But just because our rooms are a mile or two away
   doesn't mean we couldn't stay at the conference hotel until late,
   anyhow.

At the Sun User Group in Miami Beach a coupla Decembers ago, quite a
few conferees were in another hotel a block or so away.  Except that
there weren't really blocks involved, just a lovely moonlight or early
morning hike down the beach that nobody minded at all.  We were never
kicked out of anything, including the conference hotel's nifty
pool/grotto that was far nicer than our hotel's pool.

Everything on The Strip was abominably expensive, but they were all
convenient.

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (07/09/90)

From: bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield)
>At the Sun User Group in Miami Beach a coupla Decembers ago, quite a
>few conferees were in another hotel a block or so away.  Except that
>there weren't really blocks involved, just a lovely moonlight or early
>morning hike down the beach that nobody minded at all.  We were never
>kicked out of anything, including the conference hotel's nifty
>pool/grotto that was far nicer than our hotel's pool.

Several SUG Board of Directors and the SUG Executive Director were
thrown out of the Fountainbleu's "Poodle Room" (I think that's the
name of their fancy-schmancy hot-pink and black -1 star restaurant)
during that conference. I was among them, we were really trying to
do some planning (it was the first night.)

They wanted to recycle the table faster and got exceedingly rude after
an exceedingly short time (like, the rude jerk maitre'd (tm) almost
apologized when he realized that we really weren't quite done with
dessert and coffee, but decided to stick to his guns and be rude
anyhow.)

I told him that he was an asshole (that was the term I remember
using), but it didn't seem to come as any surprise to him.

Never again.

Yeah, the walk on the beach was nice (meaning: the F-bleu somehow
couldn't get the board into the main hotel...so the board has nothing
to recommend if they ever wanted us to go there again, which isn't
likely anyhow.)
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (07/09/90)

maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) wrote:
->I would like to propose to Usenix that they also list the YMCA's,
->American Youth Hotels, and the like as well. In addition, since almost
->all of the conferences have people from the local universities involved,
->why not make arrangements to allow attendees to use the univiersity
->dormatories. This should be particularly easy for those conferences
->happening during the summer months when school is not in session and the
->dormatories are not in use.

ah, but there's the rub: the dormitories often *are* in use by the
universities.  you see, many universities run conference programs over
the summer.

if you're so concerned about costs, then haul your butt to the library
and look up the AYH hostels, etc.  the _let's go_ series is a good
place to start.

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (07/09/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) wrote:
}
} There may be a problem doing this for Dallas:  the Grand Kempinski (sp?)
} is off by itself, well away from any other hotels.

Last winter Usenix at Dallas, I stayed at the Hampton Inn which is just
a few blocks from the Kempinski.  My old expense report says it was $46
a day less extortionary travelers taxes.  I recall that it was clean,
offered no-somkers rooms and a pleasant stay.  You'll need a rental car
(or know somebody who has one) to get back and forth though.  Walking
the mile or so between hotels is not a pleasant prospect for that time
of year.

Hampton Inn
4555 Beltway Drive
Addison TX, 75244
(214)991-2800

Maybe Usenix could negotiate a conference rate?

--
mark@DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B
 "...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly..." Micah 6:8

   From: bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield)
      ...We were never kicked out of anything, including the
      conference hotel's nifty pool/grotto that was far nicer than our
      hotel's pool.

   Several SUG Board of Directors and the SUG Executive Director were
   thrown out of the Fountainbleu's "Poodle Room"...

I guess I just wasn't important enough to get thrown out of anything.
Maybe we should have worn impressive-looking (waterproof) ribbons on
our (laminated) badges, pinned to our swimsuits.  "Who ya gotta know
to get thrown out of this dive?"

(Oh yeah, for the humor impaired: :-)

mlindsey@x102c.harris-atd.com (Lindsey MS 04396) (07/10/90)

In article <3830@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Jerry Peek) writes:
>If there is *one* person in each city who'd volunteer... to drive
>around the area of the conference hotel one afternoon, looking for
>cheaper places to stay... and post a list of motels and phone numbers
>a few months before a conference... it would save a lot of people a
>lot of $$.  Volunteers for Dallas?  Opryland?

In the Opryland area there is one hotel that is within walking distance to the
Opryland hotel.  It is called Fiddler's Inn; it's pretty decent; and it only
costs about $45 a night.  For those staying in the Opryland hotel beware.  The
rooms are expensive, and the food is terribly overpriced.  Better to walk over
to the Cracker Barrell or Shoney's adjacent to the Fiddler's Inn.  BTW, the
Fiddler's Inn is also adjacent to the "Cars of the Stars" museum and the
Box Car Willie Museum (yes, they are as tacky as they sound).

On a serious note, DO go to see the Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's Homeplace).
It's a very nice way to spend and afternoon (or morning).

"Waste your brain, wax your board, and pray for waves!"   Woody in E.G.A.E.
/earth is 98% full!  Please delete anyone you can!	 (anonymous)
$teve Lindsey		|-)	uunet!x102a!mlindsey
(407) 727-5893		:-)	mlindsey@x102a.ess.harris.com

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (07/10/90)

In article <1501@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) writes:
} In addition, since almost
} all of the conferences have people from the local universities involved,
} why not make arrangements to allow attendees to use the univiersity
} dormatories.
}
} I am suprised that Usenix, which must have a lot of members
} who are not backup up by corporate expense accounts, has not tried to do
} this in the past.

Umm -- that depends on how far in the past you're looking.  Usenix used
to do that -- in fact, Usenix used to *be* at universities rather than
hotels.

tower@buita.bu.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul7.230338.5702@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
|There may be a problem doing this for Dallas:  the Grand Kempinski (sp?)
|is off by itself, well away from any other hotels.  (The prime Dallas hotel
|district is solidly booked for Uniforum... one disadvantage of trying to
|put the winter conference in the same city as them.)

USENIX offered the Marriot Quorum as well as the Grand Kempinski
(Henry got it spelt right ;-) in 1988.  The Quorum was 5 minutes
walking distance which included crossing a very busy main street and
doing without sidewalks half the way.  Cabs didn't seem to hang out at
the Hotels in Dallas and the Inter-hotel shuttle service took 10-15
minutes on average (and shut down mid-evening), so walking was always
quicker (even in the snowstorm!).  The Quorum was also about $15.00
cheaper a night, had a nicer pool (though no hot tub), and the
restaurants were not crowded at breakfast.  The staff was pleasant and
courteous throughout my stay.

There was also an overflow hotel two miles away.  I remember little of
what I heard about it, except that it was far away!

I did without a car at the last Dallas USENIX.  The Airport limo
service was adequate, the shuttle service to UniForum was good enough,
and vegetarian restaurants were almost non existent (we'll see if this
has changed in January).

enjoy -len

PS about Mormons.  I have never met a Mormon who was pushy or rude
about his beliefs.  Most, after knowing you for a while, will try once
to interest you in their faith.  They are much less evangelical than
many of the other Protestant faiths (yes I know about their missionary
program and two years of service).

I very much doubt that the problems we had at the Anahiem Marriot were
caused by the Marriot's family religion.  It's much more likely they
had a very bad convention experience the week before.

dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) (07/11/90)

From article <60335@bu.edu.bu.edu>, by tower@buita.bu.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.):
> I very much doubt that the problems we had at the Anahiem Marriot were
> caused by the Marriot's family religion.  It's much more likely they
> had a very bad convention experience the week before.

The NRA was there.

--

jik@pit-manager.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) (07/11/90)

In article <4958@uwm.edu> dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
   From article <60335@bu.edu.bu.edu>, by tower@buita.bu.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.):
   > I very much doubt that the problems we had at the Anahiem Marriot were
   > caused by the Marriot's family religion.  It's much more likely they
   > had a very bad convention experience the week before.

   The NRA was there.

Presumably, the implication is, "Well, we all know that the NRA is
composed of redneck, gun-toting hicks, so they must have given the
Marriot a hard time.  It's obvious."

Nothing like a classic bigoted stereotype to liven up a discussion.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (07/12/90)

In all fairness David's response can be taken as a rebuttal of Leonard's
supposition and not as a confirmation of it.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2987

chuckh@apex.UUCP (Chuck Huffington) (07/12/90)

In article <4958@uwm.edu> dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>From article <60335@bu.edu.bu.edu>, by tower@buita.bu.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.):
>> I very much doubt that the problems we had at the Anahiem Marriot were
>> caused by the Marriot's family religion.  It's much more likely they
>> had a very bad convention experience the week before.
>
>The NRA was there.

Do you speak from experience, or do you just hate the NRA?
I have attended an NRA convention and don't recall any particular
problems.